Foods that *CALL* to you

Options
SummerSkier
SummerSkier Posts: 4,917 Member
So, I was reading "Breaking Free from Emotional Eating" by Geneen Roth, on I think MJ's recommendation, and she talks a little bit about binging and food that calls to you. I was thinking about it today, and she has a pretty darn good point. It seems like we are told to fill ourselves up with healthy foods like veggies and protein etc... in order to prevent us from binging on junk food. But quite honestly, what ends up happening for me is that I eat the healthy stuff first, and then I just eat the stuff I want anyway later when my willpower fails - esp if it is in the fridge and I start binging at all.

So, do you guys agree that if you want something in the fridge and it's in your calorie range, it would be better to just eat that and not pretend you won't. Maybe it's not a healthy thing to totally eat junk food (ice cream, candy etc,..) all the time, but in my mind, it's better than overdoing the calories because we choose healthy stuff we really did NOT want, and then "binged" on the unhealthy stuff.

I am really having trouble with allowing myself to eat junk or even eat more calories. I feel like I am cheating even if I have the calories available. sheesh. I don't work out in order to get more calories to eat, but rather to build muscle and cardio, but I do need fuel.

So, last night, I really REALLY wanted to go eat a pint of ice-cream and I had about 800 calories available. I didn't end up buying it, but I think I should be able to. I do know I probably will not feel as good the next day with such a sugar imbalance but maybe the way to quit the cycle is to admit what you like and eat that first regardless of the "judgement" eyes.

Replies

• SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I totally eat it. Look at my food diary and you will see cadbury creme eggs, pizza, wine, cookies. I will always eat it anyway. I do not believe in depriving myself of it or like you said it will lead to a binge. If I want dessert I eat it and will go for a walk or do a little extra on the elliptical or just let it go, so what if there is no deficit every single day. I think when I deprive myself it is bad and turns ugly because when I do cave and buy the candy I will stuff my face with the whole bag in just a few minutes because it is forbidden and "I need to just have it now so I can be good tomorrow" and then I beat myself up over it and dwell and feel bad. We have to learn to enjoy foods in moderation. I don't think any food is really bad for you as long as you don't eat it all at once.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate and I struggle with it all the time. I feel that if my diet isn't 'perfect'..tons of vegetables and healthy proteins, then I blew it and go crazy on the sweet stuff. I'm trying very (very!) hard to work sweets into my normal diet in a controlled way..I hope to get better in time. I save calories to have a sweet treat at night. Even then, I try to have something with some health benefits (dark chocolate raisins for the antioxidents), I get so nervous if I'm unhealthy! My weakness is peanut butter, literally cannot have it around! It really does make sense to not avoid our weaknesses, but learn how to live with them :smile:
  • circuspoop
    circuspoop Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i have seasons where i can control my "trigger foods" better than other times.
    i agree that in an ideal world where ED is just a horse, we could eat everything in moderation.
    but since that is not the case for me right now (i'm in a tough season in that i can't resist the numbing effects of bingeing), i try not to trust myself during times where i know i am pretty chemically dependent on certain foods (namely kettle corn and icecream).

but yes, if you are demonstrating healthier forms of moderation, that's awesome!!!!

and if you have the money, seeing a dietitian may help. people who obsess about food and nutrition sometimes actually forget that obsession doesn't mean realistic or knowledgable.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,917 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughts ladies! I too have seasons where I can leave sweets and things around the house and just don't have the desire to binge. Other times I cannot. Typically I have a cycle where I think I can be strong so I buy a lot of things. Then at some point I binge and end up throwing most of them away. Pretty stupid. But I do always try to pretend that I can do it... LOL. The best thing for me if I want to do moderation is to just buy the thing I want that day and only enough for that day. Expensive seeming but it is actually saving money because I don't buy the LARGE size and throw it out later.

I am trying to up my metabolism right now as I have been on about 1100 calories since last Nov. Last 2 days I have been eating almost all my exercise calories back without going over. I know the scale is going to possible go up a few pounds while my body adjusts, but i want to be one of those folks with the metabolism that RUNS instead of CRAWLS.

SS
  • jlyle73
    jlyle73 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the seasonal issues as well - I get very depressed in winter (cold, dark, miserable, stuck in the indoor with nothing on the schedule for my horse...) add in the end of the season (where I feel like I can let go & reward myself), we usually vaction in November & the down hill slide continues though March. I feel like I am pulling out of it a bit earlier this year - the mild winter definately helped with that. No question my main tigger food is bread (bagels!) I find I don't want a reasonable amount of my trigger foods - I associate them with an exess amount and only that will satisfy me so I do try to stay away from them but have found yummy alternatives that satisfy my sweet tooth. Weekends when there isn't as much structure & meals out (& good wine!) are my biggest struggle. My husband wants to order pizza tonight - I don't want to because I don't want to deal with the temptation.