Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Healthy Food Recipe's, Articles, etc...

Replies

• MFP didnt have the calorie burner calculation I needed this morning so I found this real quick... looks accurate.
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • SORE MUSCLES??????
    This is a good article talking about the importance of correct intake before, during and after your workouts.
    Want to prevent sore muscles? Basically they say its important to start out with Carbs and proteins before a workout... Drinking a Sports Drink high in carbs/proteins during a workout... and the same immediately following your workout.

Interesting article as it really does go into the details of muscle depletion, the breakdowns of muscle proteins etc...

http://www.active.com/fitness/Articles/Using_nutrition_to_reduce_post-exercise_muscle_soreness.htm
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Wonderful topic thread Heather_Jen thank you.
  • nursemickey
    nursemickey Posts: 52 Member
    Just remember that DOMS *delayed onset muscle soreness* is the body's way of saying HEY YOU DID SOMETHING TO ME. The tingling feeling after workouts is lactic acid being released.

Protein protein protein...........
  • Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    This is the Steel Cut Oats recipe that I use. I LOVE it!! I double the recipe, separate into 8 servings, and I have a quick breakfast for a whole week. I nuke a serving for 90 seconds in the microwave in the morning then add fruit and/or yogurt - sometimes nothing at all, depends on my mood.

http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2009/01/overnight-oatmeal-quick-cook-steelcut-oats-in-10-minutes.html
  • Jaccyber
    Here is a recipe that we tried today and it looks healthy.

Name of dish: Casamiento

Ingredients:
    2 Tbsp veg. oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 bell pepper, finely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 can black beans, drained, liquid reserved
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 cups cooked rice
    Makes 4-5 servings

Heat oil in a large pot. Add the onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until tender. Stir in the drained beans, some of the bean liquid, and salt and pepper. Cook at medium-low until heated through. Add rice and stir until cooked through. Adjust seasoning and add a little more bean liquid if necessary. Serve hot.

It is about 180 to 200 cals per serving. This makes a great vegetarian dish. We served it on a bed of spinach, and added teryaki sauce. It was great.
  • That Casamiento sounds fantastic... I tend to lean toward vegetarian dishes around here since my daughter dislikes most meats, so I look for meals she likes that are full of the proteins she needs while growing. This one looks great! Thanks

Also need to try the Oatmeal recipe! I love oats!!!!!
  • I LOVE pumpkin... and I love spreads on my toast... I made this recipe last night and its is great! If you like pumpkin, this is a winner! It comes from a website called skinnytaste. She also has some really nice other recipes.

Pumpkin Butter | Skinnytaste

Pumpkin lovers will love this simple low fat pumpkin butter recipe which is so versatile to use, and deliciously good for you. Your kitchen will be filled with pumpkin spice aromas while making this.

A few ideas that come to mind with what you can do with pumpkin butter; serve it on toast or scones, add it to your latte for a pumpkin latte, make pumpkin oatmeal, pumpkin cheesecake, add it to yogurt with granola for a pumpkin yogurt parfait... have I enticed you yet? I cooked a pumpkin in my crock pot and pureed it in the blender, but canned pumpkin would work just as good. I love using real cinnamon sticks for this, but ground cinnamon would work in place of them.

Pumpkin Butter
    Gina's Skinny Recipes
    Servings: 14 • Serving Size: 1/4 cup • Old Points: 1.5 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 88.2 • Fat: 0.3 g • Protein: 1.0 g • Carb: 27.3 g • Fiber: 2.5 g

Ingredients:

* 3 1/2 cups pumpkin puree, or 1 (29 ounce) can (not pumpkin pie filling)
    * 2 tsp vanilla extract
    * 3/4 cup apple cider or juice
    * 1 cup packed brown sugar
    * 2-3 cinnamon sticks
    * 1-2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (to taste)

Directions:
    Combine pureed pumpkin, vanilla, apple juice, spices, cinnamon sticks and sugar in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently. Adjust spices to your taste.
  • As I continue on this fitness journey I am constantly learning more and more.... I have been working hard at school... really watching my intake... doing my workouts and I recently went to a low carb diet. I used to be so hungry... but since I started the low carb diet, I noticed that Im not wanting to eat as much as I used to... Im not as hungry. I started to wonder if this had a connection to the low carb diet. And today, reading a article on low carb diets I found this:

"And it may not be just cutting carbs that leads to weight loss. Some studies show that you may shed some weight because you eat less on low-carb diets because the extra protein and fat keep you feeling full longer. "
    Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-carb-diet/NU00279/NSECTIONGROUP=2

So now I know that I need to consciously make sure I am eating and not waiting for my body to tell me Im hungry to eat.

Next... I need to conquer protein intake... I just cant seem to get enough! Time to look into a protein powder it seems.

Happy Journey Everyone!
  • nursemickey
    nursemickey Posts: 52 Member
  • Jaccyber
    http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournutritionist/f/eatexercise.htm

Article on what and when to eat before and after a workout or walking.
  • Jaccyber
  • Jaccyber
    Here is a article about water.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283