Phase 1 Too Easy?

juliet729
juliet729 Posts: 3 Member
I just did Phase 1 for the first time today and am I alone in saying it seemed way too easy? I'm thinking about stepping up the amount of weights in my dumbells. How much do you guys use?

I'm starting to worry that maybe this program is only for more overweight/out of shape people than me. This is a WAY notch down from my previous Tracy Anderson Method workout program

Replies

• ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 151 Member
    I'm on week 2 on this program. I have all ready been doing Crossfit type circuits, so I thought the same when I first started. I ended up buying heavier dumbbells and doing the "advanced" moves of all the exercises, so I found that this helped me. In the first phase she is trying to build up for the next 2 phases, so I push myself as hard as I can during the workouts. I also still run and do crossfit circuits 2 x per week in addition to the DVDs.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    I am age 51 with MS and find them to be very "doable". I already have a long standing exercise regime so maybe that's why.

I wear a HRM for all of my workouts and KNEW that a 30 minute workout could only burn a certain amount of calories (for me) so there was no surprise there. (ex: today was Cardio 1~ 136 cals. burned- weigh 205 sooooo)

I also had great success with JM's 30 Day Shred which I also thought was only a little challenging so I'm gonna go with it. I also go to the gym daily and take classes like Yoga, Pilates and Swing in addition to JM.

The program is created for ALL fitness levels so going in a progressive pattern from easier to harder makes sense.

To the OP~ I would just adjust to YOUR own level. Let's chat again when we get to the third month and see what we think then, OK?
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    I mostly skipped workouts 1 and 2. Workouts 3 and 4 are more where I was fitness-wise. I've tried out 5 and 6 and they are a bit more challenging. I wouldn't hesitate to skip ahead if you really feel like they aren't challenging you.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I also felt like they weren't as challenging for me and I noticed my calorie burn wasn't very high. So I increased my weights and do the more advanced moves and noticed a big difference in my calorie burn on WK 2 yesterday.
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Like Jillian says, "You can always push the UP button". If it seems too easy do the advanced version of the moves, add more weight. Instead of the "modified push ups" do the "military style". It's your workout now, make it as challenging as you can handle.

I'm on my second week of Phase 2 and I love it.
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Phase 1 is suppose to be "easy". I am on last week of phase 1, I found that heavier weights (i'm using 8 & 10 pound dumbells) and "double-timing" the cardio minutes really help give me the challenge I need. I think that you should stick with the program the way its designed, and like people before me said.... "Push the up button" :drinker:
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    When I started I also thought it was easy compared to what I was doing. I upped my weights and I do the harder versions of the workouts. The program gets porgressively harder as you go. For weeks 1&2 I used from 5-15lb dumbells. Just try to challenge yourself. It's different for everyone :)
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Phase 2 really steps it up a notch. I thought phase 1 was not as tough. If you find it boring or easy, use heavier weights and do all the advanced moves. Phase 1 is important because it conditions your body for phase 2/3. I know it seems easy, but do not move ahead, do phase 1. You'll see how doing phase 1 really pays off once you hit phase 2. Jillian has us do it for a reason, and I finally realized it when I began phase 2.
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Phase 2 really steps it up a notch. I thought phase 1 was not as tough. If you find it boring or easy, use heavier weights and do all the advanced moves. Phase 1 is important because it conditions your body for phase 2/3. I know it seems easy, but do not move ahead, do phase 1. You'll see how doing phase 1 really pays off once you hit phase 2. Jillian has us do it for a reason, and I finally realized it when I began phase 2.

totally second this. also, "get yourself a heavier pair of hand weights if you think it's too easy" - Jillian (how bad is it that i can quote her workouts from doing them so much? haha)
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Like Jillian says, "You can always push the UP button". If it seems too easy do the advanced version of the moves, add more weight. Instead of the "modified push ups" do the "military style". It's your workout now, make it as challenging as you can handle.

I'm on my second week of Phase 2 and I love it.

I totally agree...I am in the middle of week 4 and if I realize that it is too easy I will pick up my heavier weights. I am using 8 and 10 pounders this week where last week I only used 5s.

Weeks 1 & 2 I did all the advanced moves and used 5s and 8s because I had not gotten my 10s yet. Just keep hitting that "up" button.
  • juliet729
    Hmmm okay that sounds like a good plan, but will I bulk up if I use weights that are too heavy??
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Hmmm okay that sounds like a good plan, but will I bulk up if I use weights that are too heavy??

Absolutely not! Jillian actually says it in one of the workouts in phase 1. She says, "ladies, don't be scared you are going to get big like the Hulk. That's not going to happen. It will only happen if you eat more calories than you burn. And on this diet plan, that's not going to happen." Don't worry, women aren't built like men to get big. Don't be afraid to go heavy, if you can go heavy with good form and reps, go for it.
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member

Absolutely not! Jillian actually says it in one of the workouts in phase 1. She says, "ladies, don't be scared you are going to get big like the Hulk. That's not going to happen. It will only happen if you eat more calories than you burn. And on this diet plan, that's not going to happen." Don't worry, women aren't built like men to get big. Don't be afraid to go heavy, if you can go heavy with good form and reps, go for it.

Exactly :-)
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member

This :flowerforyou:
  • juliet729
    I think what I've settled on is combining this workout with my previous workouts and using it as an "bonus add on." One more question - what's the recommendations for the cardio? Are you really supposed to do it every day? Is there a minimum? I tried finding info in the book on it and there is nothing! In the dvds she keeps saying "only 30 minutes a day!" but with the cardio every day it is an hour? Color me confused.
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    I think what I've settled on is combining this workout with my previous workouts and using it as an "bonus add on." One more question - what's the recommendations for the cardio? Are you really supposed to do it every day? Is there a minimum? I tried finding info in the book on it and there is nothing! In the dvds she keeps saying "only 30 minutes a day!" but with the cardio every day it is an hour? Color me confused.

if you do the week long kickstart, you do workout 1 in the am, cardio 1 in the pm, next day is workout 2 and cardio 1, third day is cardio 1 two times then repeat for 3 more days, rest on the 7th day. after that, you go to the regular schedule of only one workout per day which is just like the kickstart minus the extra cardio workout. the minimum would be to follow the workout schedule as described in the book where you do each workout twice a week and rest one day. i read that jillian says not to add more than 5 extra 30 minute sessions of any type of cardio per week while doing body revolution to avoid overtraining.
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Check out my blog if you like...

http://phatsoslim.blogspot.ca/

Trina
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    I also felt like they weren't as challenging for me and I noticed my calorie burn wasn't very high. So I increased my weights and do the more advanced moves and noticed a big difference in my calorie burn on WK 2 yesterday.

^^This. I went through Workouts 1 & 2 + Cardio 1 the first time, then for the next scheduled day of each, I just increased weights - used weights when "optional" (like when she's punishing Omar!) and tried to do the more advanced moves where I could (except when she moves from push-ups into planks... HATE that).