What does it feel like to "be glutened"?

Options
acantu59
acantu59 Posts: 26 Member
I'm sorry if this seems a stupid question, but I've only been GF since beginning of February, and it's not because I was diagnosed as celiac. I started reading Wheat Belly and decided to see if it would help with the weight loss. ANYWAY, I've been VERY careful - reading every label and avoiding even modified food starch(even if it didn't specify wheat). For the past three mornings, due to really bad planning on my part, I've had oatmeal for breakfast. All three mornings I broke into a cold sweat about a half hour later. I know oats don't have gluten, but I've read that they can be contaminated during processing. I seem to be "bloaty" afterwards, too. Is this what "being glutened" feels like?

By the way, going GF really DID jumpstart my weight loss - 12 pounds and counting!

Replies

• BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Oh yes...when I am glutened I am bloated beyond all belief. And uncomfortable, unable to focus, generally I have a headache too. My stomach usually hurts and I feel not well.
  • JackLeaMason
    JackLeaMason Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Getting "glutened" is different for most people. I get inflammation in the joints of my legs. Go Figure!

You will find that staying gluten free will reduce your symptoms overall but when you slip up you will notice the onset pretty quickly. The good news is the warning feedback does not last long if you go right back on the Gluten Free regimen.
  • Meaghan685
    Meaghan685 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I get a bit foggy, grump and bloated as well as stomach trouble. I do eat oats, I read a while back that imported Irish oats are not processed in the wheat infested way that American oats are, so I eat McCann's Irish Oats. I was cautious when I first tried them, as once in a while it will take a little accumulation for me to notice a reaction. I have eaten this oatmeal most days for the last month, so if you're willing to try oats again, that may be the way to go. There are also brands that sell GF oats, I just find that McCann's works out cheaper.
  • acantu59
    acantu59 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Like I said, poor planning - I didn't go grocery shopping, so I got oatmeal from Starbucks... now I know better! I'll be back on track tomorrow :)
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'm not positive, but think I was "glutened" yesterday. I'd been avoiding gluten for a few weeks, and then on Tuesday had a carb craving crazy day and ate a bunch of mac and cheese. Next day I was buckled over with belly pain and bloat. Took all day to recover. Nothing else I ate would explain it...
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    trouble breathing, dumping, swelling, seizures, headache, paranoia, insomnia, pain all over joints and trouble walking (nerve-related)
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    For most people, they get a return of the symptoms they were freed from once being GF.

I'm not celiac...I'm allergic to wheat. So I get typical histamine responses.

I ate something from a can once...canned chili. The beef version had no flour, so I stupidly though the chicken version of the same brand wouldn't either. I ate it. And the roof of my mouth started to itch. And I got congested and itchy. I'm thinking, "what in the world?" And went over everything I had eaten and thought to check the ingredients list. Bam! I had been glutened (or, in my case, wheat-ed?)
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I get sick about 5-10 minutes after it happens. My stomach gets very bloated and I feel extremely uncomfortable for days. I'm tired, have trouble concentrating, and belly pain. It's awful! I feel like I did all the time before finding out...I just was diagnosed in December 2011.
  • dayatatime1
    dayatatime1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Most significantly, my stomach feels like it's being torn apart and the pain increases every time I eat anything for about 24 hours. I also have "bathroom issues", bloating, and joint pain. Basically it's completely miserable and I feel it right away.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Diarrhea, joint pain, foggy-headed feeling in addition to a migraine (which will be the last to leave - takes about 2 full weeks, then I'll suddenly wake up and be fine, wtf?? lol), grumpy and emotional, nauseous, little red bumps come back on my arms (while the bumps on my arms have gone away since going GF, the ones on my legs never have... so weird). And BLOATED. Holy heck. Bloated to the point my pants will not fit.

I don't have a Celiac diagnosis. GI thought that it probably was Celiac, but since I'd already gone GF, and I refused to go back to eating gluten, I'll never know for sure. I say severely gluten intolerant most of the time.

Oh, and unless its certified gluten free oatmeal, its probably got gluten in it. I cannot tolerate any oatmeal, even the certified GF kind. But I also won't get the same kind of glutened reaction either.
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said (especially extreme bloating, diarrhea) and migraines. I get migraines anyway, but if I have gluten it's an automatic.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I'm like Sweet110, I have an allergy to the wheat family itself, I get wheezy, start coughing to the point of gagging, runny nose and some trouble breathing. Doc makes me carry an epi pen just in case. My neighbor is funny, when we go out to supper, she says to me when it starts up if I unintentionally get wheat, "So where'd they hide it this time?"
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    minor symptoms : bloat, headache,
    major symptoms : intense intestinal pain, constipation, upper body hives, hot itchy ears, tiredness, wheezing
    more major symptoms : face and neck swelling, heavier breathing

i recently did an experiment with a loaf of real bread on how many servings i could have before i started experiencing the minor stuff. it only took about 5 slices in 2 days to get there. at least now i know i can probably get away with a sandwich a week and not have any issues
  • ancha0702
    ancha0702 Posts: 26
    Options
    I feel extremely bloated,I can't wear any of my clothes and everyone thinks that I'm pregnant (seriously, I'm not exaggerating), I feel nauseous, with painful cramps in stomach, my back hurts so much I can't stand straight and usually I'm depressed or anxious, hard breathing, tiredness.

It sux big time. :explode:
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    When I am glutened, my stomach bloats up, I get constipated, a bad headache (if not a migraine) and my joints swell and hurt really bad.

Bob's redmill makes gluten free oatmeal. It is very good, and filling.
  • amy12321
    amy12321 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    For me, it doesn't happen until the next day. Joint pain (especially hips and low in my spine) I had to take anti-inflammatory medication for my back before I went gluten free, also extreme painful bloating (pregnant belly!), fatigue, unable to concentrate, not feeling hunger, dizziness, disorientation upon waking up (because you're SO tired), eczema, gas, depression, exhaustion all over the body (especially chest). And it lasts for weeks for me.
    Unless it's soy sauce or sushi (can't find the gluten in sushi), but then it's right after and I get a super super painful stomach ache and NOTHING will make it stop and it's gone by the morning.