New(ish) and looking for friends

Options
amy0716
amy0716 Posts: 50 Member
Hello. I am new and looking for other breastfeeding mom friends. I budget about 1600 cal. a day losing about a pound a week with no effects to my supply. I have a 5 month old daughter and a 4.5 year old son.
My journal is open to friends, please add me if you like. :flowerforyou: I only log M-F though. Too busy on weekends!!

Replies

• Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Thank you for the message and for the inspiration. I have a 5 month old daughter as well. I have two older boys too. I am definitely busy which should be a good thing but I think it hinders my healthy eating choices because fast isn't always healthy. Or 'hip, tummy, thigh and butt friendly' I like to say! I joined here from a friend' recommendation and so far am loving it. I am exclusively breastfeeding probably 6 ish times a day. How many calories do you think this burns?
  • amy0716
    amy0716 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm not exactly sure how many calories breastfeeding burns. I've read anywhere from 300-500 calories a day. Did you know you can add breastfeeding to your journal if you wanted-there are a ton of options? That is pretty neat. I budget (-)400/500 calories/day since I pump at work and my daughter likes her midnight snacks!!! :laugh: So, it is pretty much around the clock.

So my goal is to eat about 1600 a day, which in theory is only 1100/1200 a day. It works. I'm losing a healthy 1 lb a week and my supply is still really good. I think it is about finding the right balance without hindering supply which to me, is most important.

Good luck to you!!! :happy:
  • VAPeters
    VAPeters Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm pretty new on all this too. I have an 11 week old baby girl and 2 older sons, 5 and almost 3. I don't add in breast feeding calories but I di raise my activity level to active when in truth I'm more like a little active. I'm also looking for new friends on here...I am fighting alot of stress right now and lack of sleep between the baby and my younger son. Some days I feel I'm trying to do too much too soon and other days I feel I'm not doing enough! lol.
  • ckeachie
    ckeachie Posts: 26
    Options
    Hey ladies!! Love all the BFing mamas!! Under the snack category, you can find "exclusive breastfeeding" which gives you the additional 500 calories per day that exclusive breastfeeding takes up, if you don't add this and calculate your calories otherwise you will shortchange your calories and if getting too low, will drop your milk supply... unfortunately I learned from experience when my daughter was 4 months old :( Met with a lactation consultant and she advised giving 500 calories just for baby, then calculating my own separately!! Since then, my supply has been much better!!
  • ckeachie
    ckeachie Posts: 26
    Options
    p.s. my daughter is 6 months old now :)
  • Lesliehuval
    Lesliehuval Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there! New to this as well and looking for other bf mom friends! I have a 5 month old baby boy and he is my first child. Just started this week and am LOVING it! Good luck on your reaching your goals!
  • tararaem
    tararaem Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'd love some support and to be there for other breastfeeding moms as well. I have a 10 month old son who nurses 4 times during the day, 1-2 times and night, and I pump twice daily (I am a working mom). I tried weight watchers about 6 months ago and my supply just stopped. Luckily with MFP now there has not been any change in my supply!

I also have a 4.5 year old daughter who nursed until 22 months, so I am in it for the long haul. :wink: