Anyone else in menopause in their 40's??

Options
twinmomtwice4
twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
Please tell me I'm not the only one here who's already in menopause at the age of 42!!!!

I started going through peri-menopause in my early 30's, which made it really difficult to have children. My husband and I ended up doing IVF and were blessed with a set of twins from our 3rd IVF cycle. Had a couple more miscarriages along the way and then finally gave up.

Then God decided to send me out with a bang and we were blessed with another set of twins without any medical intervention. I always joke that the 2nd set of twins were the last 2 eggs I had left. Been in menopause ever since.

Replies

• SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi - no I personally can't relate to that. I just wanted to say how lovely to have two sets of twins :heart:
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • Goingnuts2
    Goingnuts2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm in my late 40's and although I haven't started menopause, I did grow "old" very quickly! In my early 40's I got biofocals, lost a 1/4" in height and was diagnosed with arthritis. Here I thought I was Superwoman and wouldn't have to worry about these things until my 50's!!! Now I have to deal with a slow metabolism :devil:
  • Callidreamr
    Callidreamr Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wow! 2 sets of twins! Amazing! I could imagine a lot of us in our 40's are going through some symptoms of perimenopause. That's why we all need to support each other and share what worked for some. We can all get through this together!
  • lrfrank65
    lrfrank65 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can relate! I was 41 when I noticed the hot flashes. At first I thought it must just be my weight and that I was just out of shape. But then I noticed they were happening when i was just sitting, doing nothing. My female physician told me I was nuts to think I might already be in menopause and refused to test me. A year later I saw my GYN who is a male and he was happy to test me. He was also surprised by the result. I did find out that my grandmother went through menopause early as well. I have been on the patch for the last 4 years. I don't know that it really does anything other than control the hot flashes.
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    I was lucky to escape menopause with very few hot flashes! The worst symptom for me though was the drastic mood swings!!
  • fuzzyslipperz
    fuzzyslipperz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and I *think* I am. I have had one cycle in the last year and only a few from 40-44. However, my doc refuses to believe it. :) No hot flashes, but I think I did all that waay back in peri. :P I'm getting my levels again in a few months and we shall see. My guess is that my relatively large weight loss about 8 years ago triggered something, although I was never even close to underweight.
  • seguess
    seguess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I am but something's going on. Usually about 9:30 a.m. when I'm sitting at my desk I start sweating like crazy for about 10 minutes. I turn on the fan and that takes care of it. This has happened a couple of times a week since January. No other symptoms, though. My doctor did mention that I should consider the H-word (hysterectomy) sometime in the next 4 years. I am 48, never had children, and in good health (except for the extra poundage). I don't really see a need for it if I'm not having problems. Anyway, I'll definitely get a second opinion. But that conversation really opened my eyes to the fact that I'm not as young as I think I am.
  • Summerlove1993
    Summerlove1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I also did IVF and had my daughter at 33. All of the hormones I had to take prior to and during pregnancy kicked off my weight gain. My tummy hasn't looked the same since the emergency C-section and the stretch marks. In my late 30's, I started perimenopause. In October 2008, I had a hysterectomy, and I subsequently began menopause. I am unable to take any hormones, but I have weathered my own private summer pretty well. The hot flashes are fewer and farther between, and I never really had mood swings. It is weird to be 47 and at the end of menopause.
  • Summerlove1993
    Options
    I agree. After my hysterectomy, I spent a lot of time being angry about my new bloated stomach. I couldn't stand looking at myself. 3 years later, the swelling has gone down, but I still can't stand the way I look. I wish I could afford a tummy tuck after I lose the weight, but that isn't in the cards for me. So, I will just have to accept that no matter how much weight I lose, this body will never wear a bikini again. It is okay. Now I look at my scars and stretch marks as signs that I've been through a lot and have survived. I have a child that without that long vertical scar wouldn't be alive today. My health problems prior to my hysterectomy are no longer an issue or cancer risk. I am a survivor, and I don't have to look like Heidi Klum. And, guess what? It hasn't kept my husband away at all. He is very committed to our marriage. So, I am happy, scars and all. Now I just want to be healthier and a little smaller. :wink:
  • trasista4
    trasista4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello, I had my ovaries and uterus taken out when I was 36. Thank God, I had all 3 of my children by the time I was 22. It was very hard at first but now that I am 42, I don't really have many symptoms. Some things I found helpful where sleeping in only underwear, exercise and drinking tons of water. I had a brain injury at 30, so I was unable to take any meds to help. God is very good, he can help pray. I hope this helps you. Trasista4
  • seguess
    seguess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So you had swelling for a few years AFTER the hysterectomy?! Holy crap. That reallly concerns me.
  • Summerlove1993
    Options
    I think it depends on how invasive your surgery is. Mine was a large incision from my belly button all the way down, and I was wide open on the table for 7 hours. An oncologist was present for the operation, because they were looking for cancer. Thank God, I was cancer-free, however, there was so much endometriosis, I was a mess inside. I lost a lot of blood and had to have a blood transfusion. I was in the hospital for a week. Recovery was 6 weeks. I was told the bloating could take anywhere from 6 months to two years to go down. Since I was open for so long, and all of that air got inside, it took a long time for my tummy to go down. But, I have a friend who had a couple tiny incisions, and her recovery was shorter. She did not have the same amount of bloating I did. Everyone is different, and it depends on your situation.