Logging house work as Cardio. Cheating?

Options
Hi all!

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on logging house work. I personally don't log cleaning etc. in my cardio work out, but i see lots of people do.
If it were something like moving your house hold furniture, or moving house i could understand it. But general cleaning? Surely thats a bit of a cop out right?

Am i the only one who finds this crazy?

And if logging house hold cleaning, or hanging washing on the line is classed as an acceptable cardio work out, then surely we should include bed time/after dark activities right? LOL

Replies

• TotalTiger
    Options
    It depends on what I'm doing. An old housemate and I used to put on a CD when we were cleaning and dance around while we were at it and it certainly was a workout. I've only logged it if it includes vacuuming and if I feel like I've had a workout. I also only log half the time because the calorie burned figure is enormous and I don't believe it. As for the after dark logging, again it would depend on what you're doing and how rigorous it was LOL. :heart:
  • StrawberrySt
    Options
    I wouldn't log it but that's because it's something you've (you, me, everyone) has always done and it hasn't affected your weight loss before now. Why should being on MFP be any different?

But that's just my opinion. I think these people are logging it to get more daily calories and to me that's a cop out.

LOL at 'after dark' logging!
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I don't see any problem with logging housework as exercise. HOWEVER
    as it will be probably a fairly low energy exercise (with no afterburn effect) and might be longer than an hour or so depending on what you do.
    If you do not subtract from your HRM reading (assuming you are using a HRM which i think would be the only accurate way of estimating) what your BMR would have been for that period of time, it would be easy astronomically overestimate the numbers of cals you burnt doing that activity. So use the tools in MFP to workout your BMR then divide that number by 24 and that will give your your BMR per hour. So if you did housework for an hour, minus that 1 hour worth of BMR from your HRM result, and log that new number in MFP.

I thought i was in a big plateau. Turns out though it was because i had been doing house rennovating work on the weekends, wearing my HRM sometimes for most of the day and logging that as exercise. The minute i realised (and bought a fitbit which is a far better way or working out daily activity cals), i've started losing again.

I'm a huge fan of the fitbit by the way. If you can afford one, then perhaps just get one of them which will take all the thinking out of it for you.
  • JourneyToTheOldMe
    JourneyToTheOldMe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it but that's because it's something you've (you, me, everyone) has always done and it hasn't affected your weight loss before now. Why should being on MFP be any different?

But that's just my opinion. I think these people are logging it to get more daily calories and to me that's a cop out.

LOL at 'after dark' logging!

My thoughts exactly!

I have a 2 year old daughter, so i am picking her up & putting her down ALL day (11.2kg worth of toddler lol)... So now that i am using MFP should i log that as strength training? LOL
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've always logged cleaning, if I'm moving then I'm burning calories! However I don't log it to get more calories to eat! That just wouldn't make sense to me.

Not everyone's circumstances are the same as yours and logging cleaning is often a necessity in regards to calories burnt. Logging it helps me stay focused on the fact that I am moving as much as I can so I am moving positively toward to a healthy change of lifestyle!
  • love_kt
    Options
    I definitely log it, but only if I'm wrecked after! Vacuuming the house and then mopping (for a total of about 1/2 an hour) goes on there, but I wouldn't bother with wiping down surfaces or something similar. It's only if I feel like a nap after :)
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't see any problem with logging housework as exercise. HOWEVER
    as it will be probably a fairly low energy exercise (with no afterburn effect) and might be longer than an hour or so depending on what you do.
    If you do not subtract from your HRM reading (assuming you are using a HRM which i think would be the only accurate way of estimating) what your BMR would have been for that period of time, it would be easy astronomically overestimate the numbers of cals you burnt doing that activity. So use the tools in MFP to workout your BMR then divide that number by 24 and that will give your your BMR per hour. So if you did housework for an hour, minus that 1 hour worth of BMR from your HRM result, and log that new number in MFP.

I thought i was in a big plateau. Turns out though it was because i had been doing house rennovating work on the weekends, wearing my HRM sometimes for most of the day and logging that as exercise. The minute i realised (and bought a fitbit which is a far better way or working out daily activity cals), i've started losing again.

I'm a huge fan of the fitbit by the way. If you can afford one, then perhaps just get one of them which will take all the thinking out of it for you.

I've just ordered a fitbit... Glad you has recommended it! :) Also agree with you post - I have been logging my heavier sessions of house work and I have previously logged heavy sessions of gardening and renovating but I never thought of removing the BMR figures. Now you mention it, it is so obvious! :)
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    strenuous stuff like vaccumming, mopping, moving furniture or house renos - yes i log those but mark them as "moderate" activity. general stuff like laundry, wiping down benches, dishes etc I don't log.
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Most fitness programs/people recommend logging it. You are burning calories while cleaning. Geez you're burning calories while sitting, hence why we should all work off of our Basal Metabolic Rate. The reason why cleaning hasn't helped most people lose weight in the past is because those people would probably clean then go out and eat KFC/Maccas and not do anything else. Cleaning is an exercise, but a very low intensity, so include it because it does burn, but also combine with healthy eating and some moderate to high intensity workouts :)
  • StrawberrySt
    Options
    The reason why cleaning hasn't helped most people lose weight in the past is because those people would probably clean then go out and eat KFC/Maccas and not do anything else.

Have to disagree there! I've always been pretty healthy food wise and can't say cleaning has ever made me lose weight! And I clean fairly regularly every week and don't go out and have KFC and sit on my *kitten* after.

My diet hasn't changed too much since starting MFP, I've just started doing proper exercise and that is what is helping me lose weight.

Just my opinion. I have seen people log grocery shopping. What's next? Logging the energy it takes to type on a computer???

Another example of the world getting more ridiculous. No wonder we are an obese country.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't log it either unless it was enough to break out in a sweat and when for a long time.

i have logged gardening when i have spent hours outdoors, lugging pavers around and digging, but not 10 minutes of gardening.

today i am doing 4 school run walks, it's only 10 minutes there, but i'll be doing that 10 minute walk 8 times (there and back) so i'm logging it as 40 minutes walking (dog pace). if i did one school run, i wouldn't log it, it's hardley worth the effort, but 80 minutes of walking, even if it is slow is worth logging.
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The reason why cleaning hasn't helped most people lose weight in the past is because those people would probably clean then go out and eat KFC/Maccas and not do anything else.

Have to disagree there! I've always been pretty healthy food wise and can't say cleaning has ever made me lose weight! And I clean fairly regularly every week and don't go out and have KFC and sit on my *kitten* after.

My diet hasn't changed too much since starting MFP, I've just started doing proper exercise and that is what is helping me lose weight.

Just my opinion. I have seen people log grocery shopping. What's next? Logging the energy it takes to type on a computer???

Another example of the world getting more ridiculous. No wonder we are an obese country.

It all depends on your bodies BMR and how your own body works. Depending on your size and fitness level doing housework may be easy or may make you break out in a sweat. Some people overexercise because you're not considering how much your body is burning just to survive. What most people consider healthy eating isn't healthy too. I personally would log anything and everything, it's not a matter of "cheating".. this isn't a competition. We're all here to lose weight and be fit, some people only need to do housework or grocery shopping to begin losing weight. I'll refer to a book I once read I think it was The Clothesline Diet or something similar.. All this lady did was walk around her clothesline each day.. That was all her body needed to start the weightloss.

I for one when I weighed 88kgs did sweat while cleaning the house. Cleaning is a physical activity that burns energy more so then sitting on the couch writing this response.. so for overweight people... I would say it can be logged.
  • Lekkerdun
    Lekkerdun Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't count housework. But then I don't eat extra either for any other workout that I might do. It helps me to lose more weight and stay on track on what I need to eat every day. I just drink more water if I have had a medium to heavy workout. But then every one is different.
    If the housework is to music with a lot of dancing etc, it would be a cardio workout wouldn't it.
  • JoCam127
    JoCam127 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You will find that I DO log housework occasionally, but if I do, then I have worked my butt off for a good hour or two doing something strenuous & out of the ordinary like outdoor window washing ( & this place has a LOT of glass :/ ), cobweb removal on the cathedral ceilings, re-arranging the furniture, or a huge 'run around & clean up of every surface possible' before important visitors or a house inspection ... that doesn't mean I don't do regular washing / cleaning on a daily basis, gosh with 4 children, I HAVE TO :p ... this doesn't get logged though as it is what I have always done & isn't going to have a dramatic impact on my weight loss i.e. calorie burn ;)
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    For day to day stuff I wouldn't, however any bigger jobs that take some time and effort and really gets you sweating and a raise in heart rate I can't see a problem with.

Personally though, to date I've not logged any housework.
  • Flutterby1976
    Options
    I dont think it's cheating- I only vacuum my whole place every week or two but do it in about 20 mins and always work up a big sweat (moving furniture, getting under beds etc) doing it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not filthy and I don't add the activity so I can eat more- it's about logging cardio activity. I don't include walking around the office as "slow walk" but if I stroll down the main street then sure. You're only cheating yourself if you add something you legitimately know isn't being active.

As for the 'after dark'. Hell yes add it! It might encourage you to do it more... and as you're getting fitter and svelter you'll feel like it more. But remember, just cos in your mind you thought went went for hours and put in loads of effort in.. it aint necessarily true!
  • shellgel
    shellgel Posts: 4
    Options
    I log it, cause i clean for a living! lol. I do 4 - 5 hours a day, but i put it in as 'light, moderate effort' cause im not working up a sweat all day. Some things are easier than others. I dont log my own housework, cause i dont seem to do much of it! lol.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Well the thing is, it depends if your daily activity is sedentary. If so, it's something extra that you don't usually do everyday and if your cleaning for a couple of hours it's def energy spent. I would not however log thr time you cleaned for, I would halve it at least.
  • queenie09
    queenie09 Posts: 25
    Options
    HI,
    I don't think it is 'cheating', I like most others don't log light weight house cleaning but I do log heavy cleaning. I can clean two bathrooms, in 60 mins and burn 280 calories. (according to my HRM), If I minus my BMR hourly rate I am still burning 220 calories more than I would if I was sitting down watching a movie or having a coffee break. How is this any different than going for a walk?

For those who are overweight which is why most of us are here. I think it is a perfectly logical to log it as an exercise.

each to their own :)
  • medlicott68
    Options
    I don't log it. I feel it is accounted for in my daily activity level. Can't say I've ever worked up enough of a sweat doing housework to think of it as excercise.