Is going over on protein bad?

Options
Current weight: 106.4 lbs
Goal weight: 120 lbs

I know I should be consuming protein with g/lb as a rule of thumb to gain weight, so 106g a day. But I usually go over to like 125 to 140g day. I take a 30g whey isolate immediately after working out because taking whey supposedly can improve results. I know having a lot of protein can result in kidney failure, but is this a significant amount more?

Replies

• AnthonyBarbaria
    Options
    The amount of protein that you are taking daily will almost surely cause no kind of kidney failure. You can probably afford to take even more (150g) as long as your drinking enough liquids. Also make sure you are getting enough carbs because they are needed for maintaining muscle and energy throughout the day, and will help you put on weight.
  • EricDe90x
    EricDe90x Posts: 51
    Options
    Alright thanks! I should probably be drinking more water. I only drink like 2 or 3 bottles a day.
  • YMark
    YMark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree with Anthony above, and you should be drinking a ton of water. A diet high in protein can cause constipation if you don't drink enough water.
  • ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I shoot for at least a gallon of water/fluids daily, and 1.5g protein per pound bodyweight and 2g carbs/lb bodyweight. Right now coming off a lean bulk/recomp it's keeping my energy up and muscles full.

But as long as you put down fluids you can go way over 1g/1lb and you should be fine, especially if you're active and have your metabolism firing on all cylinders.
  • calcrunch
    calcrunch Posts: 18
    Options
    General rule is to drink a gal/gal+1/2 and your g2g.