Is there anyone else who is having a hard time eating their

Options
tml224
tml224 Posts: 19 Member
This is my second week of the increased cals approach. I started out on MFP with 1530 cals for the day but now I am eating 1800. The problem I am having is that I am having an extremely hard time with eating and trying to net my bmr. I only log my cardio which has been scaled back due to my intense focus on lifting:wink: . With cardio, my daily allowance is anywhere between 2200 - 2300 but I cannot eat that much! I get full quickly ( probably due to the super tiny portions during my low cal approach). The foods I eat are typically low cal ( fruits, veggies, non- fried protein, etc.) and just recently, I have been following the clean eating approach utilized by female fitness models because ideally, I am aiming for that look. This means I have to eat tons of protein, fruits, veggies, oatmeal, etc just to eat my bmr but I just have a hard time. I'm chugging down 2-3 protein shakes to keep my protein #'s up, I eat complex carbs, and even added avocado, evoo, and nuts to try and get in these cals and 1800 is not even 15% of my TDEE which is 2109. I'm trying to grow the balls to up my cals to 2100, but if I can't even eat 1800, how am I going to manage 2100? I am just tired of eating the same stuff and I definitely don't want to go back to eating all of the DELICIOUS delights that landed me on MFP in the first place which will help me go above and BEYOND my cals, lol. Anyways, I am very frustrated and food is not my friend right now. I know I must eat to fuel 60 minutes of weight lifting 4 days/ week but I just can't. Anyone else having the same problem.

****Disclaimer: if and when you look at my diary, you may see a delight or two appear within the last couple of days and a love hate relationship with sodium, but I am still barely netting my bmr is which around 1600*******

Also, I am also wondering do I need to eat an additional 200 to account for my lifting which would be at my current cals would be 1800+200 and eventually at 15% TDEE 2100+ 200 ? I'm pretty sure this may have already been discussed in the other threads, but I have sat here and read the countless threads but my eyes might have crossed and I may have a slight case of amnesia so I sincerely apologize to the wonderful MFPers knowledgeable in this area who consistently answers these type of questions. I just want to get this stuff right. I am so tired of re- inventing the wheel and ending up with a jiggly puff body.

Replies

• clb51
    clb51 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is my second week too and I'm having the same problem....who would ever guess it would be so hard to eat enough? I'm going to keep on the path though.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    The problem may be that your calorie burns are too high. When I upped my cals, I cut back on cardio. Where I used to burn 700-800 cals a day, I cut back to 400-450 cals a day and started eating 1800-2000. Some days it's more of a challenge than others, because healthy food is low-cal, but cutting back on cardio helped me alot.
  • tml224
    Options
    The problem may be that your calorie burns are too high. When I upped my cals, I cut back on cardio. Where I used to burn 700-800 cals a day, I cut back to 400-450 cals a day and started eating 1800-2000. Some days it's more of a challenge than others, because healthy food is low-cal, but cutting back on cardio helped me alot.
    I have cut back my cardio! I went from 30-45 min daily to about 20 min daily! So I average around 300 cals burned outside of my lifting. ( sigh)
  • tml224
    Options
    This is my second week too and I'm having the same problem....who would ever guess it would be so hard to eat enough? I'm going to keep on the path though.
    I know, right ! First it was a struggle to cut back eating, now I am having trouble eating enough! I never thought I would see this day!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Well I have gotten used to eating 1900 cals now. Nuts, olive oil, coconut oils, peanut butter are good high cal/fat treats. And along wth MsColes I have cut back on cardio. Some days is harder when I have to eat 2500 but when you lift heavy you are ravenous at end of workout. Also another trick when I know I will have a higher burn day I start eating early to get it in.

Again it really does get easier.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It does get easier- promise!

go for nuts, cheese, full fat dressings, carbs like pasta add up well, brown rice is dense, you can also do double scoops in your protein shakes, look for ways to use coconut milk in a can, peanut butter, almond butter and real butter are good for you too.
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes also struggling - sure I could fill it with the wrong foods, but that's not the idea, I'm not really sure what i'm supposed to eat!! Fruit is low calorie and high carb. I'm getting nowhere near enough protein either =/ urgh. This is so difficult! It was so much easier to eat healthy when I eat less!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I had this problem and added an afternoon snack of peanut butter on whole wheat toast. Its healthy, adds about 400 calories and gives me energy to go for my workout after work. Cottage cheese is another good high protein, low carb snack. I replaced yogurt with that.

Its tough starting out, I really had to stop and rethink the snacks I was eating-previously all fruits and veggies so super low cal-and add some filling healthy proteins to them. Don't worry, you will find something that works!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Add calorie dense food such as peanut butter, olive oil and avocado.
  • srogers01
    srogers01 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just started also and I'm struggling to net my BMR. I'm trying to increase my calories by 200 min per day but since I started so low only consuming 1500 or less a day it's a struggle. I really like the idea of adding peanut butter to wheat toast after work before your workout, yesterday I felt like I had no energy and could barely finish my class. I'm also going to cut back cardio next week and get back to lifting hopefully that will help! Don't give up...hopefully it will get easier for us!!! :happy:
  • ruthjulia
    ruthjulia Posts: 15
    Options
    I just started increasing calories two weeks ago, and i'm going very very slowly because mentally that's what's going to work best for me. i was grossing 1250 per day, last week i grossed 1350 avg per day and this week my goal is 1400 avg gross per day. i want to work up to around 1600 and then maintain there for a while before trying to go any higher. what i'm finding is that i'm great about hitting my protein goals because i've been focused on that since early jan (my goal is between 120-140 g per day) but what i'm having a hard time with is the fat (doing a 40/30/30 macro split). i'm so programmed to eating low fat in order to be able to eat enough quantity to satisfy me at 1200-1300 cals that i can't get out of that mode. i'm trying to transition to more olive oil, nuts and fattier meats to help me stay "clean" but higher cal and fat with same quantity of food. also considering low fat dairy instead of the fat free greek yogurt, cottage cheese, ricotta i'm so used to, but i actually like the taste of the fat free better.
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That sounds really familiar Ruth- fortunately ii've been working on increasing my fat intake over the past few years. My boyfriend has really drilled it into me, and although I still complain (about items containing too much fat) I hit my targets with relative ease. I am really struggling with the protein though and have now bought some protein shakes. See how that goes!
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Add calorie dense food such as peanut butter, olive oil and avocado.

But if you are going for a 40/30/30 Carb/Protein/Fat split - how can you get your calories up with these things without making your fat count go way over for the day? That's where I'm at right now.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I know what your talking about. Eating clean combined with a gluten and diary intolerance makes getting my calories high a bit more of a challenge. I cant run to cottage cheese or yogurt which is a bummer.
    If you are trying to get in alot of raw greens that takes a while to eat so I will sometimes make a green smoothie with baby spinach and whole fruit in a blender.

I have some kind of smoothie everyday becuase its quick to prepare and drink and you can cram alot of calories in when you need to.

I try and make my largest meal of the day breakfast. It took alttle bit to get use to but it does make hitting my calories so much easier. Nothing worse than getting to 6 at night and realising you have 1500 calories to find from somewhere.