Help please

Options
findingfit23
findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
I’m following a low carb plan that my trainer suggested to me. The basics are to eat no more than 30 net carbs each day, then on a rotation of every 9th, then 5th day, you get to have whatever you want between 4-10PM. He suggests several small starchy meals, but you could really have whatever.
I’ve been following this since March 3. The first nine days I lost 8 lbs, the next 2 weeks 2 lbs each.

I’m sure I’m knocking myself out of ketosis each time I get to eat whatever. Then it takes me almost the whole time to get back to losing weight again. I think having a meal every now and then where you can have ice cream or whatever helps with my sanity. But I wonder if I will be slowing down my progress in the long run?
I’d love to hear your thoughts/suggestions.
Thank you!

Replies

• rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I go over my daily calories, but I never ever go over my net carbs and I have lost over 29". Yes, inches are more important to me than the what the scale says!

Have you read the Atkins book? Or the one that I'm currently reading "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living", which was written by two doctors who have over 50 years experience between the two of them with low carb dieting.

Good luck,
    Anita
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Seems like 2 lbs a week is a pretty good track record for loss - its sustainable and you shouldn't (especially working with a trainer) suffer any of the unintentional consequences of too rapid loss (sags/bags/and loose skin).

Are you monitoring ketosis? That should tell you for sure. The strips cost about $8 for 90 day supply (assuming you're only testing once daily).

I read somewhere that under 100 grams of carbs and you're still IN ketosis - so maybe use that as a rule of thumb and still count on your cheat days?

Hope that helps!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Ooo 100 grams a day! Thats good. I eat a total of about 65 per day. Net is usually around 35. I figured I wouldn't be able to maintain ketosis at that high of a level. I kind of gauge it by the bad taste in my mouth since I'm too cheap to buy strips. I don't have a lot of choice in being low carb since I'm diabetic and the meds aren't working that well.
  • nikkisa10
    nikkisa10 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It takes the body 2 days to carb deplete and this is where the whole carb cycling comes from. So you would eat low carb M, T, moderate carb W, low carb Th, F, treat day Sa Low carb Su & repeat...