Good Books and Movies

Options

Replies

• kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Books:
    I can recommend "Blue Heaven" and "Putting on the Ritz" by Joe Keenan (who was also a screenwriter for Frasier and Desperate Housewives)..I've yet to read his last book "My Lucky Star"

Alan Hollinghurst has also written some lovely books, check out "The Swimming Pool Library".

Films:
    Some have been mentioned previously in this thread (Get Real, Jeffrey, Broken-Hearts Club) but one of my favourite ever films is the very tender coming-out story "Beautiful Thing". Based on a screenplay by Jonathan Harvey, Hettie MacDonald's wonderful direction will make you fall in love with Thamesmead (a 60s concrete-jungle of a social housing estate where the film "A Clockwork Orange" was also filmed) as well as the central characters... Jamie (a sensitive 15yr old coming to terms with his sexuality), Ste (his school-pal and neighbour who is bullied and beaten by his drunken father and drug-dealing brother, with whom Jamie falls in love and so the romance blossoms), Sandra (Jamie's hard-as-nails, no-nonsense mother who doesn't suffer fools gladly) and the star of the film Leah (the young neighbour who is obsessed with Mamma Cass).

Another few LGBT-related movies I love are:
    Milk - US: Sean Penn and James Franco are fantastic in this Oscar-winning bio-pic

Echte Kerle (Regular Guys) - Germany: macho cop gets kicked out of flat by fiancée and ends up sharing with gay mechanic - lots of comedy as there's misunderstanding about who's gay and who's straight.

Ma Vie En Rose - Belgium: about a pre-teen trans-boy who wants to be a girl - very touching and way-ahead of its time.

Gazon Maudit - France: ménage à trois rom-com is given the butch-lesbian twist in Josiane Balasko's film that deals with infidelity, forbidden desires and misconceptions.

Crustacés et Coquillages- France: modern-day French Farce - a family holiday on Côte d'Azur in house that used to belong to the father's aunt. Parents suspect their teenage son is gay, when is attractive young friend comes to visit, but the twist in the tail is priceless - semi musical and stars Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi (the sister of Carla Bruni - France's First Lady)
  • david581c
    david581c Posts: 337
    Options
    Just noticed ur post, Kyle.

Great list man, def gonna netflix a few of those. Thx.

Just watched "I love you phillip morris" w/ Jim Carrey and Ewan McGreggor, its about a con artist who falls in love in prison, though his love gets out of jail and he now figures multiple ways to escape prison to be with his partner. Surprisingly great.
  • julrigg
    julrigg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Books: Man about town and a book/movie combo is Angels in America. I absolutely adore this movie and book.

Movies: I second or third Latter Day
    Were the world mine-gay take on Midsummer's night dream.
    The Eating out series I find to be hilarious albeit very crude.
  • tegsa
    tegsa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg last year.

Looks like I need to catch up on some movies. My favorite LGBT films have already been listed already, except High Art.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan
    Dream Boy by Jim Grimsley
  • jnburke4j
    jnburke4j Posts: 16
    Options
    I took a Gay and Lesbian American Literature class last semester and we read some really awesome books!

The Children’s Hour--Lillian Hellman (Ehh..)
    Cat on a Hot Tin Roof--Tennessee Williams (Ehh..)
    Breakfast at Tiffany’s--Truman Capote (Movie is better than the book, but the movie took the gay out of it, typical)
    Rubyfruit Jungle--Rita Mae Brown (LOOVVEEEE)
    The World of Normal Boys--K. M. Soehnlein (Pretty good)
    Take Me Out--Richard Greenburg (Hated....)
    Liquor--Poppy Z. Brite (LOOVVEEEEE!! I want the rest of the series!)
    Shield of Justice--Radclyffe (Absolute favorite!! I HAVE the rest of the series!)
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I took a Gay and Lesbian American Literature class last semester and we read some really awesome books!

Breakfast at Tiffany’s--Truman Capote (Movie is better than the book, but the movie took the gay out of it, typical)
    Shield of Justice--Radclyffe (Absolute favorite!! I HAVE the rest of the series!)
    ok gotta ask for a plot synopsis of rubyfruit jungle please. I only know the title because Rita was reading it in educating rita. thanks
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My favourite movies are Bound and Kissing Jessica Stein. I just saw Hannah Free with Sharon Gless who is freaking wonderful - she should play for our team It's a tearjerker though, so be prepared.

Back in the day when Xena was a big deal, fans would write fan fiction and uber fiction. The biggest name I think was merwolf who wrote a novel called Tropical Storm about two lesbians in Miami. It was the first one I read when I was coming out and I loved it. Apparently got optioned for a movie but never made. However, she also wrote sequels. And the best part is, all free online at her website

http://www.merwolf.com/ffiction.html

Go to the Dar and Kerry stories and search down for Tropical Storm.
  • jnburke4j
    Options
    RJ was amazing! I'm not sure how to really sum it up....I feel like most people can really relate to the main character, Molly. She grows up knowing she's gay and has to go through so much crap for it, such as getting kicked out of her college, being disowned by her mother, etc. She travels to NY to go to film school and, again, puts up with way too much crap for being gay. If you can find a copy of the book I'd definitely urge you to read it!

ok gotta ask for a plot synopsis of rubyfruit jungle please. I only know the title because Rita was reading it in educating rita. thanks
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I read Shield of Justice just recently, I'm just reading In Pursuit of Justice now, it's good but so far not my favourite of Radclyffe's, personally I prefer the Honour series.
  • jnburke4j
    Options

I read Shield of Justice just recently, I'm just reading In Pursuit of Justice now, it's good but so far not my favourite of Radclyffe's, personally I prefer the Honour series.

I haven't read any of the other ones but now I want to!!
  • HopeBay
    HopeBay Posts: 32
    Options
    I love "When night is falling". The very first gay film I ever saw before i was "out" that sparked something was Dessert Hearts.
  • HopeBay
    HopeBay Posts: 32
    Options
    Better then Chocolate. There's a great new one called "Elena undone"". Very hot, good story and acting. Also "Imagine me and you"'
  • Cheryl_66
    Cheryl_66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just saw this available free Comcast On Demand (with subscription, of course). The Incredible True Adventures of Two Girls In Love. It's a bit dated but still a cute movie. Yes, that is a young, pre L Word Tina in the main role!

OnDemand > Premium Channels > StreamPix > Movies. Or you can just search for the title...

Any other recommendations On Demand or just on the tube?
  • Cheryl_66
    Cheryl_66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    VOD > Premium Channels > StreamPix > movies > all > Broken Hearts Club
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    RJ was amazing! I'm not sure how to really sum it up....I feel like most people can really relate to the main character, Molly. She grows up knowing she's gay and has to go through so much crap for it, such as getting kicked out of her college, being disowned by her mother, etc. She travels to NY to go to film school and, again, puts up with way too much crap for being gay. If you can find a copy of the book I'd definitely urge you to read it!

grazie
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

I'm finding five books by Radclyffe in my city library catalog. Any recommendations on where to start?

* Turn Back Time
    * Trauma Alert
    * When Dreams Tremble
    * Storms of Change: Provincetown Tales Series, Book 4 (Will I follow without 1-3?)
    * Tomorrow's Promise

Thanks!
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I'm finding five books by Radclyffe in my city library catalog. Any recommendations on where to start?

* Turn Back Time
    * Trauma Alert
    * When Dreams Tremble
    * Storms of Change: Provincetown Tales Series, Book 4 (Will I follow without 1-3?)
    * Tomorrow's Promise

Thanks!

I know you weren't asking me, but I'd start with Trauma Alert, as the 1st book of her "Frist Responders" series.

Storms of Change is also a good one & you should be able to follow it just fine without having read the others.

When Dreams Tremble was ok but a bit vanilla, it's more of a traditional romance with not much else to it... I guess some people might like that though.

I haven't read Tomorrows promise or Turn back time, so I can't comment ;-)