Advice for newbies...

Options
supermom2002
supermom2002 Posts: 180 Member
I've noticed a few "newer" members here so if anybody has advice lets hear it!

Mind you, not everything works for everybody. We're all different. We also have our own opinions on what is right and wrong. You can spend HOURS researching a debate--but in the end do what works for you!

So here's mine:

*go read the book "Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salad".
*EAT. 1200 calorie diets do NOT work. sure you will lose some weight--but eventually you will hit that brick wall
*go find out about this thing called TDEE
*read your food labels. just because it says "low fat" or "reduced fat" isn't always the better choice
*oh--and get up off your *kitten* and MOVE.

Replies

• Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • supermom2002
    Options
    ^^^ she knows this. look at the leg!
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    and don't get anxious because the scale isn't dropping like on the biggest loser when you cut out *insert food here* or began doing *insert exercise here*. You need to evaluate the effects of changes over time, you can't expect changes to bring instant results.

and if you plateau, or if you don't see the results... burn some more calories. You're already dieting.
  • Mizzou91
    Mizzou91 Posts: 249
    Options
    Definitely second the notion of eating enough food. VERY important.

Also:

Be consistent.
    Don't do too much too soon, but don't be a wuss either.
    Get fit for a GOOD pair of running shoes (if you are a runner).
    Don't make excuses. You CAN do that run, that weight, that tri and reach that goal.
    Ask for help when you need it.
    HAVE FUN!!
  • Scoobiesnax
    Scoobiesnax Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Exercise.

(Recommended by 10 out of 10 doctors...)

:bigsmile:
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    I found the best advice I have, even though it seems counter intuitive is EAT BREAKFAST. I hate the sight of food before noon, but now that i try to even have some oatmeal or a bowl of cheerios - i feel better and actually more calories in the morning because my metabolism has been motivated to do so.

I know everyone knows this..... but knowing and doing are two different things :drinker:
  • WENDYORNELAS
    Options
    what is TDEE
  • supermom2002
    Options
    what is TDEE

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/510406-tdee-is-everything

check out this thread. you don't have to read thru all 11 or 12 pages. the first page is enough. scroll thru and you will find some great links to a bodybuilding forum and 2 other sites. i've used 3 different calculations-manual and 2 online calculators. all were within 300 calories of each other so i just used an average.

I could just sit here and tell you what you need to know however i believe a person really has to take the time and do the research themselves to really appreciate the full value of the information being provided.

i did this "set your MFP settings--do the recommended settings" and believed that bogus "if everyday were like today you will weigh xx in 5 weeks" i let a computer/tool tell me what to do without actually researching anything...and for almost an entire year i've fought the same 5 effin lbs.

there's no quick fix. there's no magic pill. this is not easy. you have to WORK YOUR *kitten* OFF.