Fell off the wagon......a lot!

Options
mmsexybetty
mmsexybetty Posts: 34 Member
I desperately need to get back on track! My sugars are wayyyyy out of control! No good! It's been hard for me since my job requires me to be on the road all the time. I've been eating too much junk food. Been overloading on carbs. I could use some encouragement for motivation! I would really appreciate your support!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• bond009
    bond009 Posts: 3
    Options
    It's so hard being diabetic. Being on the road constantly would be even harder! Why must carbs taste so good? I've cut back on the junky ones but still having trouble with my numbers. I will send you an invite.
  • mmsexybetty
    mmsexybetty Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your friend request! It's really nice to have some support, and someone who can empathsize! :happy:
  • badknees29
    badknees29 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was at that point two weeks ago and if you think it all as one big chore you will struggle. what i did was i picked one thing to clean up in my health and i started with giving up soda for a week. then i started tracking my food on here, and then a week later im adding in eating more healthy. the biggest thing was making the commitment to change. i knew i ate bad and i wouldn't check my blood sugars but what i found out was all these things, tracking food, excercise, not drinking pop, good days and bad days are all part of the process of controling type 2. If you believe you can do it start with something you can achieve and suceed at.. if thats working out every day or if its giving up pop start with it and build on it. If i can do this i know you can....have faith and one meal at a time. I do alot on the road to and i keep a cooler in my car that i can put celery and healthy snacks in to much and water. Hang in there.
  • Gbelk1
    Gbelk1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot also. I have found I bring some of my own foods with me and when I fly I shop when I get in. Eating out can be tough so watch the menu close and avoid fast foods. Good luck
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Depending on how you travel, bring food with you or pack a bag with the right kitchen products (if you drive). I was recently told I might need to travel and I'm worried amount maintaining my eating and workout routine. More protein and less carbs helps me balance my hunger until I can get to a place to have healthy choices. I found jerky to be a great source.
  • hwcoxjr
    hwcoxjr Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow. Driving across state for the week. So I made a trip by the grocery today and bought some of my favorite low-carb snacks ( propel Grape ( I love it ) ) and a few experimental ones. We'll see how the trip goes.

As for falling off the wagon. I never liked that analogy. I think it more like falling off the horse. Because when you fall off a horse you just get back on. The wagon analogy makes you think that it left you behind and makes it harder to get back on. So for now own, you don't fall of the wagon, you fall off the horse or decided to get off the horse and now it's time to climb back on.

Finally, I always had problems with diets. But with Diabetes, I have been loosing weight steadily and keeping my sugars under control. I think the difference is that with Diabetes, I get pretty much immediate feedback from taking my blood sugar a couple of hours after a meal. It's almost like a game to me, to see what I can eat that's good and still keep my blood sugars in line. When I started testing, my sugar was bouncing between 170 and 140. Now after playing my little game with my testing, it's averaging around 97. Yea there are meals when I sin ( my wife forgives me for sinning, but not for cheating ) and my blood sugar bounces up to 140, but I go back to eating right and within a couple of meals it's back down under 100.

Good luck!!!!
  • hwcoxjr
    hwcoxjr Posts: 11
    Options
    Well I said I would let yall know how I did on the trip. I ate out and was able to eat good meals, steaks, fish, with broccoli or asperagus even mash potatoes one meal with out making my numbers go up at all. Everything was great till the drive home. For some reason, I kept feeling tired and sleepy on the drive ( 400 miles ) and didn't want to fall asleep. So I got off the horse and my BS was up to 133 last night. It was back down this morning into the 90's. I'm not sure why I just couldn't seem to stay awake on the drive unless I had some sugar or carbs going into my system.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I wish 133 was high for me.

I used to have to drive a lot so would stock my car with stuff. Jerky, tuna, nuts, if you can eat fruit get the fruit cups, cheese, pack an ice chest with veggies like celery sticks, mushrooms, radishes, and if you can eat them carrots and cherry/grape tomatoes. I would also throw in a flat of water. If you like other sugar free drinks add those. Low carb protein bars too. When I used to travel a lot of my day was frenetic and I didn't always have time to stop and eat.

If you are going to need to eat a lot of fast food, preplan by going to the websites and select food that meets your diet restrictions. That way, if you just got to pull into McDs you'll already know what you can order.