Calories since surgery

Options
Ok now I am confused! How many calories should we consume? If we go by the indicators here my BMR should be 1783 and TdEE 2139, which to me sounds very high. I have been here for almost 2 weeks now, I am down 8-10 lbs since watching what I am doing closely but I have lost and gained the same 1 lb for 2 days now. I am still in the weigh myself every day mode! Curious to wha everyone else is doing?

Replies

• stephslosinglbs
    stephslosinglbs Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you! Information I found on the internet says 900-1200 calories. I think I'm just going to have to play around with the calories over the next several weeks and see what works. I'm currently on 1000 per day. Are you eating your exercise calories back? I am not.
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to work my way back up to those calories. Right now I have worked up to a little over 600.
  • stephslosinglbs
    stephslosinglbs Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just came across a post where someboyd suggested checking out this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477666-eating-for-future-you-method. Haven't had a chance to fully read through it, but I'm thinking of toying with increasing my calories.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Did you have bypass? I had bypass a month ago, and have been told by my doctor to follow the 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food per meal, three meals a day. That never adds up to more than 500 calories a day. I don't think think this site is geared to bypass patients.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    from what I was told, 6 meals a day, yes 6, 1/4-1/2 cup per meal, I am not there yet, but I plan on supplementing with protein shakes, I dont want to stall and I dont want to lose my hair, or be deficient in any vitamin at all....

We can do this, I think the highest my cals have been up too since the surgery last week was 800, but protein was high too...soooo that is good.
  • Darhep
    Darhep Posts: 25
    Options
    My bypass was 4 years ago, getting the 1/4-1/2 cup a meal was a struggle in the beginning. I am under 1000 more than I am over and I don't eat back my exercise calories or I would be eating all day long! I am gonna do some research and get us an answer to this question. I had my surgery in Pittsburg, PA and they are fantastic. Life has just caused me not to be able to travel 4 hours for yearly visits! At least we have our group.
  • hhamilton1203
    hhamilton1203 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You should be eating at least 800-1000 calories to lose weight healthy. Your body goes into starvation mode when it doesnt get at least 800. The average amount of calories you should in take is 800-1200 and if you are working out add another 200 on to that. I take in 1000-1200 calories every day with out working out and have lost about 1 lb a day, with working out i take in 1200-1400 and lose about 1.5 lbs-- hope this helped
  • pavshop
    pavshop Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    TO get clarification on this issue, I just spoke with the dietician at my surgery center. My instructions from my doctor are very different than what I am reading hear. I've been told to eat ONLY when physically hungry and no more than 3 times per day. Gear my food choices to high protein, low carb, low fat. To eat only the amount of food that is needed to satisfy my hunger. I am only 5 weeks post op, but these are my instructions until at least 12 weeks when I go back in for a follow up visit. I feel good, I am not hungry, I am exercising AND i am losing weight. WHatever you do post op, please work with your Doctor and his plan for you.
  • Abasmusikbx
    Options
    I went to my nutritionist today and she told me that I had slowed down a bit because I am not getting enough proteine I am almost 3 months out and have lost 56 lbs and have been instructed to get 60-80 grams a day....
  • kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am 7 weeks out from having the sleeve surgery. I visit the dietician every 4 weeks, I'm 5'2 and about 200. My dietician said I should stay between 600-800 calories for the first 12 months following surgery. He said my protein need to be at 70 minimum, If I stall or stop losing then bump up my protein, but stay in the 700 calorie range.

I know most of the boards here will say that's too few etc., but I deliberately went with a great surgeon who has a dietic staff and tools to give me the best chance at success. I'm following those guidelines. Hope that helps!!!
  • lobang
    lobang Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My dr. told me (I got the band on 12/5/11) to stay within 900-1200 cal. a day with 60-80 g coming from calories. I try to change my calories up during the week. One day I go around 1100, one day 1200, then back to 1000, and then start it over again. I do NOT eat my exercise allowment of calories. I have found if I stayed at 1000 all the time, I stalled. I just was reminded of that last week. I had been at around 1000 for about 5 days. It was TOM and I get tight during that time. Then on Saturday I went carb crazy and I got into my kids cheese puffs. Yes, I logged them! I ended up going to about 1400 cal. that day. Sunday I was scared to death to get on the scale, so I didn't but was very good on Sunday. Monday was my 16 week bandiversary so I stepped on the scale and WOW! I had lost 2 lbs. over the weekend! I talked to my trainer about this on Monday. She said its good to keep the body guessing and change up your calories intake. Have a day of higher calorie day, NOT go crazy, but a couple of hundred calories. I do LOVE the Hungry Girl recipe books, low calorie recipes that are higher in protein!