How to get more protein

Options
shanna0413
shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
Hello everybody. I am wondering what I can do to get more protein in my diet. I am trying a soy protein powder, but it only has 14g of protein. Today I didnt drink it and I was so so low on protein. But even with it I would have still been very low on protein. Should I try a different powder? I only have a few more packs of this one, cause I got a small try all the flavor packs to see it i like it. Thank you for the help.

My diary is open if anyone needs to look

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I struggle to get to 100g. :(
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Some great sources of protein (other than chicken and other low fat meats) is cottage cheese, GREEK yogurt, endamame, and nuts, nuts nuts ! Nuts are high in clories but great sources of protein and healthy fats. The best are almonds and walnuts. Just dont overdo it.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Can yu drink a whey protein?
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Edamame is awesome for protein and fiber too. I know it is tough without eating dairy!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Are you vegetarian? just curious because of the soy. I got a Garden of Life Raw Protein that is Vegan from Whole Foods that has 17g of protein per scoop so a little more. Its one of those "flavorless" ones you can add to anything, not gonna lie though its pretty chalky, but you don't notice too much if you mix it with juice or something like that. I mix it with the Silk Fruit and Protein Milk which also has 5 g of protein in a cup and its pretty good. I haven't tried adding it to food yet, but was planning to make a quinoa loaf and add it to that to up the protein and see how it tasted. Oh, and quinoa is good for protein too if you're looking for a grain replacement.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have a milk allergy. Not the kind that causes gad or diahrea but the kind that causes an itchy rash. I'm afraid the whey might aggrivate it. I may just have to try it and see to be sure. I actually had 2 servings of almonds today and i was still low lol. I may have to look into garden of life and quinoa. Thanks guys
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I use the Garden of Life vanilla protein powder... it works well in green smoothies.

I also eat tempeh, raw nuts, and some baked tofu. Oh, and edamame, too. Beans figure heavily into my diet, as well.

I personally don't worry over much about protein. Yup, I'm a heretic here.
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. Since upping my calories, my go to is peanut butter. I like regular, but I also like the peanut butter dreams chocolate and white chocolate flavored.
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is great too. I mix it with veggies a lot. Today I tried it with cheese melted on it. It was decent. :)
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well I suppose you could always just cook up a bunch of chicken breast cubes in some butter and then eat 'em like little protein poppers. And its not like you have to use a LOT of butter.

I've been eating a lot of greek yogurt.

I also eat cheese. But both are dairy.

I suppose eggs could be an option. If you want to avoid the fat in the egg yolk (although it is mostly good fats) you can do one real egg with some eggs whites and have an omelet.

Other than that I don't know! I've been trying to make my dinners more protein heavy with lean meat but its also a bit of struggle for me.

I absolutely HATE protein powder. I tried for a long time with diff brands in diff recipes to like it or make it work but UGH . . .
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I've been using Nutri-Fusion protein powders. They are vegan. I would prefer to drink whey, as they taste better, I think, but can't digest the whey. The vanilla is probably better than the chocolate, but I typically mix something with them to mask the flavor. For now, it will have to do.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    hmm all of my suggestions were dairy (greek yogurt, whey protein, etc). I would just increase my servings of lean proteins at meals and look for other unsuspected products with protein. For example, I have pita bread from Trader Joe's that has 9 grams of protein, oatmeal has 5 grams, whole grains like quinoa, spelt, etc are all good sources for a little protein boost.
  • ChristieStearns
    ChristieStearns Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I try to get as much protein as possible and I'm STILL working on getting in more. But I do have a few suggestions.

For a protein drink, skip powder all together if you like and go with a dairy/lactose-free ready to drink shake. I like the vanilla flavor by EAS (I find it at Target in the pharmacy section) - it has just 100 calories, 3 carbs and 17 grams protein. I also like either chocolate or vanilla by Premier Protein (I buy in bulk at Costco, they are also available on their website)... 160 calories and a whopping 30 grams of protein, still with just 3-4 carbs. I am NOT SURE if these are whey/dairy free. Don't have them in front of me. One brand I know IS lactose/dairy free is called Oh Yeah! I tried a bottle the other day and thought it was "Ok"... it was 220 cals for the cookies and cream flavor and I think it had 32 grams protein and 3-4 carbs so very good stats.

Another things I try to do is anything I would normally eat that's carby, I go for a protein version. Like cereal for example. I don't eat regular cereal usually, instead I go with Kashi brand cereals that are high protein. Kashi Go Lean Crunch Honey Almond Flax - delicious!! 1 cup = 200 calories, 4.5 fat, 36 carbs, 9g protein! Most cereals have 2-3g protein is all. I use almond milk which doesn't have protein but if you use soy that will probably help too. Kashi GoLean Crisp Cinnamon Crumble cereal... 3/4 cup 190 calories, 4g fat, 34 carbs, 10g protein! Also delicious.
    Kashi GoLean (regular/unflavored) 1 cup 140 calories, 1g fat, 30 carbs, 13 grams protein!!!! This one is pretty plain but you can dress it up with some sliced almonds and brown sugar.
    Another carby food where I turn to protein - granola bars. Instead of a regular granola bar as a snack, I choose Nature Valley Protein granola bars (found next to other granola bars, not next to protein bars). They are AMAZINGLY delicious, better than other regular granola bars and pack 10 grams of protein!

If you buy unflavored protein powder of whatever kind you can tolerate, it can be mixed into oatmeal, pancakes, applesauce, pudding, pretty much anything. Even desserts like making a protein cheesecake or protein cookies. Anything to get that extra protein!

I don't know if you can do eggs or not.... if you can, use them a lot and not just for breakfast!!! There is a weight loss surgery blog I follow with INCREDIBLE egg bite recipes of gazillions of varieties.... philly cheese steak... bacon cheeseburger... pizza.... you name it! All with eggs and cooked in muffin tins. It's at theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com .... search for "bites" and you'll see LOTS of ideas. She has many recipes with protein powder too but she uses whey protein and a lot of other dairy products but you may still be able to get some ideas you can adapt.

I also like vegetarian meat products for extra protein... I'm not a vegetarian, but I find I can have Morningstar Farms vegetarian breakfast sausage for less calories and fat, with lots of protein (10g in one pattie). That with a side of oatmeal mixed with protein powder, YUM! Lots of protein.

Of course you already know about lean meats but try to get creative as much as you can. I do a lot of tuna and chicken salad so I can get more meat at lunch because I'm just not really much of a sandwich person.

I hope some of this helps!
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    some great tips here, I definitely fall into this category and urgently need more protein and fibre too =/
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of vegan protein powders out there that are not soy and still delicious. I used one called Genuine Health Protein +. The vanilla and chocolate are very good with almond or soy milk. I have also used Sunwarrior, which is pretty yummy as well.

For other sources, try eggs, beans, oatmeal (which is not a great source but for me every little bit adds up), soy milk (chocolate –yum!), and you can even choose veggies that are a little higher in protein than others, such as broccoli, peas, asparagus, and green beans. And, you didn’t say anything about not eating meat I don’t think, so that of course, is probably the best source of protein.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    fage greek yogurt with hemp hearts..about 34g of protein or so...
    protein shakes
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    fage greek yogurt with hemp hearts..about 34g of protein or so...
    protein shakes

She doesn't eat dairy.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same issues. I eat Sunwarrior but, while I'm ok with eating two scoops of it / day, I really think 3 is excessive and need to get my protein from other sources.

I've been relying a decent amount on greek yogurt and eggs, because I don't like to have too much meat each day.

I think I'm going to invest in lots of beans as well as tofu to help me eat more :)

I have a hard time going over my fat allowance (30%) when I eat too much nut butter or nuts.