Introductions !!

Options
Hi. I'm Teresa aka amazing_grace♥ and I will be the organizer for this Summertime Challenge!! I'm so excited to get the rest of this weight off!!

Before we officially begin - which is next Monday April 2 by the way - I thought it would be a neat idea for everybody to post here and tell a little about themselves so that we can get to know each other. Feel free to share as little or as much as you like. :wink: But at least give us your name and introduce yourself! I'll start.....

I've been on MFP since April of last year (coming up on my 1 year MFP anniversary! :drinker: Woot woot!) My initial weight loss goal was 70 pounds and from April til October of last year I lost 40 pounds. But then winter happened. And Daylight Savings time ended. And it was dark when I went to work, and dark when I got home from work. Ugh. It's this time every year that I ask myself what I'm doing still living in central Ohio!! During the winter months, I gained back about 12 of those pounds.

Anyways! It's Spring and I'm anxious to get started again and lose the REST of this weight!!

If you have any questions, you can send me a private message here on MFP, or you can email me directly at tgracemassage@gmail.com .

Oh, and be sure to send me a friend request if you haven't already done so!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Teresa! I am Sharon, aka quietlywinning. I'm looking forward to this summertime challenge!

I've been on MFP since almost the end of May of last year, so my one year anniversary is also coming up. My initial goal was 40 pounds, and I lost steadily until Christmas and just a very little since then. I am 27 pounds down, so if I meet this 10% loss challenge, I will meet my ultimate goal at the end of this challenge! That would be VERY nice.

I'm with Teresa on the dark, cold months being very difficult for losing weight. I am affected by SAD; not horridly, but enough that I struggle each winter. I am soooooooo enjoying our early spring weather and have been moving a lot more the past couple of weeks. I did well with MFP challenges last fall, so it is time to do another.
  • gjrie
    gjrie Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi Teresa & Sharon! I'm Jeri aka gjrie. I'm really new at MFP site and will need some help! I joined probably a year ago AFTER I had lost quite a bit of weight, but posted only once. Then my husband was diagnosed with celiac's disease, which means we had to learn how to eat gluten free! It's been a challenge and regrettably we fell into a trap of trying the gluten free pastas, crackers and foods we hadn't eaten before.

It's been nearly year since his diagnosis and I gained all the weight I'd lost PLUS a few more! I need to get back where I had been and step up the program. My fourth grandchild is due the end of May and I want to be one hot grandma! My goal is to lose a total of 40lbs, but by the end of this challenge I want to be down 20 lbs Hopefully this is a realistic goal.
  • TheGreatYaYa
    TheGreatYaYa Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody. I'm Nance, also known as The Great YaYa (Greek for Grandmother) and I am so excited about this challenge! I joined MFP last July and immediately joined a challenge that was especially brutal for me since I was so out of shape, but it was exactly what I needed to keep me motivated to workout every day and I lost a whopping 13 inches in one month!

I'm having a very hard time getting the pounds to come off though and I believe it's because I'm post menopausal (and maybe I haven't been the greatest at making the best food choices in the past). But I am newly motivated and am doing quite well lately....yay me! Unfortunately, I have 60 lbs. to lose and 10% will only be a drop in the proverbial bucket, so I say let's get this show on the road and get the first 10% out of the way!!! The rest will follow, I'm sure.

Those of you that know me know that I believe in having some fun and often throw in some humor with my daily posts...so friend me if you're looking for a laugh or two to get your day started. Hugs all around!!
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    Hi everybody. I'm Nance, also known as The Great YaYa (Greek for Grandmother) and I am so excited about this challenge! I joined MFP last July and immediately joined a challenge that was especially brutal for me since I was so out of shape, but it was exactly what I needed to keep me motivated to workout every day and I lost a whopping 13 inches in one month!

I'm having a very hard time getting the pounds to come off though and I believe it's because I'm post menopausal (and maybe I haven't been the greatest at making the best food choices in the past). But I am newly motivated and am doing quite well lately....yay me! Unfortunately, I have 60 lbs. to lose and 10% will only be a drop in the proverbial bucket, so I say let's get this show on the road and get the first 10% out of the way!!! The rest will follow, I'm sure.

Those of you that know me know that I believe in having some fun and often throw in some humor with my daily posts...so friend me if you're looking for a laugh or two to get your day started. Hugs all around!!

Nance, I want to make sure that everyone knows that the 10% means 10% of our current body weight. In other words, if I weight 200 at the start of the challenge - then my goal is to lose 20 during the 13 weeks. I just thought I should clarify that for anyone that didn't understand that number.
  • jmach002
    jmach002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hey! My name is Jenny aka jmach002! i joined about a month ago. I am really enjoying being on this site, however i havent lost any weight which is frustrating and disappointing. would love to loose 15lbs in 13 weeks. Wish i could loose that amount before April 16th (going to vegas) but i know thats not going to happen. would love all the help i can get on this journey and all the moral support too. I tend to be very hard on myself and need to work on that! i look forward to this challenge!
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

My name is Maureen. I've been with MFP since June-so my anniversary is coming up too! I did great in the beginning, losing 50 lbs in 6 months. But then came the holidays, the first anniversary of my Mom's death, and worst of all, tax season. (I work for a large tax preparation firm.) While I have not gained any weight back, I know I am not making good choices and I am not working out the way I should and I am ready to get back on track.

I am the mother of five and have one granddaughter. My husband and I celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary yesterday.

I am looking forward to this challenge (burning 500 calories a day will be really hard, but I will do my best!) and getting to know everyone.
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone :-) My name is Anne. I came to MFP in the middle of June last year. I have made slow steady progress and I am happy with my new lifestyle. I am single with four grown children and ten grandchildren. I am retired since my accident which left me disabled. I have learned to live on my own and since my back surgery, I can now walk again. I have only been in one challenge. I am excited to join another since Teresa has promised this isn't going to be a triatholon training course! I thought about that today and remembered I can do all things through Christ. I look forward to knowing each of you.

To add about my weight loss...this is a lifestyle change for me. My story is alot for me to explain right now but my story is in my profile. I am very tired tonight. I am also still recoverying from a trip to my parents where my dad is in CHF. I don't like excuses but sometimes I have to face facts and limitations. Rats I should have joined in the morning my brain works good then :-)
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My name is Cristy, and I've been part of MFP since April 25, 2011. In that time I've lost 64 lbs and gone from a size 20/XXL to a size 8/M. My goal is within sight, so I'm not aiming at 10% --- my goal is to shed the last 5-7 lbs I need to get rid of and to tone up!! I learned last year that I do much better when I have accountability and exercise objectives to reach for, so I'm jumping at the chance to participate even if my weight-loss goal is lower than some of ya'll. Hopefully I'll be able to support and encourage each of you the way so many others have done for me this past year!!

I'm a middle school teacher, mom of 4 and step-mom of two. My husband and I will celebrate our 3rd anniversary in July, and I really want to look HOT by then :love: This journey has been thrilling, exciting, demanding, frustrating -- and totally worth it!!! I started running last summer, and plan to complete 5-5K's this year, with the first one coming up April 14th.
  • smarce
    smarce Posts: 24
    Options
    Hello everyone! My name is Marcy. I joined mfp in November 2011. Over the 3 and a half years before that i gained about 40 lbs. I was really unhappy with how i looked and had lost a lot of my confidence. Then i booked a trip to Hawaii for mid January and got motivated. I started tracking and wothin a few weeks had some success. I had a pretty slow start.... Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years but managed to lose 12 to 14 lbs before my trip. When i came back i dove back in an started exercising. I was excited to train for a 5k that is currently in 2 weeks, but with ankle problems have had to change my work outs....

Anyway, i do best with motivation, support, accountability and short term goals :-) so i am excited to join this challenge. Today i am 23 into my 40lb goal, 10% more and i should be practically at my goal weight!

Good luck everyone! I am also great at offering support so friend me if you like :-)
  • carriel1976
    carriel1976 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    My name is Carrie and I am a stay at home Mom mother of a 3 year old son and 5 year old daughter. I started out my weightloss journey 2 years ago at 160 pounds and am currently at 138. My weight has been up and down during that time. I really have not lost and kept off any weight since the last challenge I did with amazing grace so I am hoping this is the thing that will help me motivate me to take off this weight and keep it off. I am very excited about the warm weather approaching and would like to buy my summer wardrobe with confidence and excitement this year. I cant waiO't to hey started!
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

My name is Maureen. I've been with MFP since June-so my anniversary is coming up too! I did great in the beginning, losing 50 lbs in 6 months. But then came the holidays, the first anniversary of my Mom's death, and worst of all, tax season. (I work for a large tax preparation firm.) While I have not gained any weight back, I know I am not making good choices and I am not working out the way I should and I am ready to get back on track.

I am the mother of five and have one granddaughter. My husband and I celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary yesterday.

I am looking forward to this challenge (burning 500 calories a day will be really hard, but I will do my best!) and getting to know everyone.

Congrats on 31 years with the same man!!! Hehehehe. No, seriously - congratulations!! We don't see enough of that these days!!
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    Hello everyone :-) My name is Anne. I came to MFP in the middle of June last year. I have made slow steady progress and I am happy with my new lifestyle. I am single with four grown children and ten grandchildren. I am retired since my accident which left me disabled. I have learned to live on my own and since my back surgery, I can now walk again. I have only been in one challenge. I am excited to join another since Teresa has promised this isn't going to be a triatholon training course! I thought about that today and remembered I can do all things through Christ. I look forward to knowing each of you.

To add about my weight loss...this is a lifestyle change for me. My story is alot for me to explain right now but my story is in my profile. I am very tired tonight. I am also still recoverying from a trip to my parents where my dad is in CHF. I don't like excuses but sometimes I have to face facts and limitations. Rats I should have joined in the morning my brain works good then :-)

WELCOME Anne!!! There will be all levels of exercise for everyone to do - and a few will be at the "triathalon level" hehehe. But some of them will also be "pick and choose" so ALL of them will not be "required". Also, don't ever think that you cannot "modify" something that you just cannot do because of bad knees, or a bad back or whatever -- JUST DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN DO & TRY TO 'PUSH' YOURSELF A LITTLE BIT FURTHER EVERY DAY!!!!

You will do GREAT!!!!!

WELCOME to everybody - I love reading your "bios".... you guys are gonna be awesome!!! :flowerforyou:
  • musky4
    musky4 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    HI ALL - my name is Helen aka musky4 - I joined in June? last year.
    I am 44 yrs old and been going thru (pre?)menopause for the past 5 years !! ICK --
    I am a mom of 4 and grandma to 9 :).
    I ?like? to garden and REALLY hoping my hardwork in there will count in the challenge - :)
    I am a christian and married. I struggle with both weight and trusting Him to do the right/hard things.
    I was doing really well by end of Nov but Dec was... NOT good, I sprained my foot but still decided to quit smoking in Jan...
    UMMMM ya - hard!!
    Lately been a major struggle with bloating ---
    I really try not to go over indulge in my licorce but it ...helps.
    I walk to Leslie Sansone quite a bit and enjoy that as my heart rate really gets up there!
    I am excited to get this underway - I am SO done with this extra weight!!!
    @ amazing_grace - will we be measuring???
    have a great day!!!!
  • kingskid892
    Options
    Hi All, my name is Christy (Kingskid892) and I'm up for the challenge. I started challenging myself and a few of my family members to losing some weight by July last week. My start weight was 180.3 and within a few days I lost a pound and then gained that back plus two more (apparently Chardonaay and cookies have a lot of calories in them, esp before bedtime. Who knew!?) Boy was I sad about that though! I persevered though and kept watching my calories/exercising, and lo and behold I lost five pounds. Whoa! What a happy morning for me! So with that boost of loss and enthusiasm I'm FULLY into dropping the full 25 pounds by this Summer. My first goal was 25 by July 13, which is when I'm leaving for vacation, but I may need to revise for a May date/this challenge.

I'm 5'10" and currently 177 pounds. My goal weight is 155. At this point most of my size 12 shorts/pants are not fitting at all or I'm able to get them zipped but with serious "spillage." :blushing: So I'd like be able to get into the clothes I wore last year during Summer and not have ANY spillage, but rather some room to spare. :smile:

And while the numbers do matter to me, I'm most eager to feel good in my skin again. I'm pretty embarrassed to be nekked around my dear husband and flinch when he grabs me around my middle or anywhere for that matter...and I MISS BEING GRABBED.:heart: I'm fairly certain that my insecurity in this area has put a boundary between us and I want that boundary BROUGHT DOWN and intimacy restored.

So I'm with ya!

In Him,
    Christy
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    Hello Helen! Long time since we've been in a challenge together! And everybody please friend kingskid892. She's brand new to MFP and is gonna rock this challenge! Welcome christy!
  • CBales_05
    CBales_05 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello all!
    Thank you for starting this challenge. This is my first group to join since I started here a few months ago when a friend asked me to join with her. Needless to say, I haven't lost much and need to stay consistant logging, exercising, and watching what I do.

I am Carrie - CBales_05. I am 36yrs old, married, and have 2 boys (12yr old and a 5yr old). I work FT, then come home, fix dinner, help with homework, do daily cleaning and preparing for the next day. The only time I have to workout is in the early AM, it's the only time I really have the energy. I am 5'5" and weighed in this morning at 193.4. I am an emotional eater and a grazer when I am bored. I would like to start running and have signed up for 4 5Ks this year, the first one in May. I have many reasons to lose weight, but my main focus is to gain my self esteem, be more active with my kids, and live a long, healthier life with my family. I have a few goals to reach #1-179 (day after dancing all night at my wedding in 2005), #2-160 (weight I was at when I meet my husband in 2003), #3-150 (my happy weight), #4-130-140 (if possible, my ultimate weight).

Please feel free to friend me, I need all the help I can get! :smile:
  • gklangdon
    gklangdon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Gina. I'm married to a wonderful man who supports me and encourages me. I have 4 beautiful step children and 3 amazing grandkids. I'm a stay-at-home Granny and love it. So I can honestly say that I'm very blessed.

I've been stuck at the same weight of 198 for the longest time. I'm wanting and needing a challenge that I can really get into. I will be 40 this December and want to be healthy and look better. If I can lose say 20 pounds by June 30th. I'd be one happy girl!!! That would put me in the overweight category instead of the obese category on my Wii. LOL

Add me as a friend if you'd like.

Best of luck to everyone. I'm ready to get this started!
  • ItsMeGg
    ItsMeGg Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi everyone my name is Nickita aka ItsMeGg. I am 34 years old. I have 3 children 7 y/o girls and and 4 y/o boy. I work full time (2) 12 hour night shifts and a 12 hour day shift. The only thing consistent in my sleep-work schedule is inconsistency. I try to get to the YMCA at least 3 times a week but sometimes fail when working back to back night shifts. I started getting left knee pains when I started gaining weight now since I started exercising the right knee is starting to bother me. I am motivated to lose weight to get my knees back and to feel good about myself again.
  • kkidsmom
    kkidsmom Posts: 2
    Options
    HI everyone,

My friend, Carrie ( Cbales_05), suggested I join this challenge with her. When I read that someone will hunt me down to post my weight, I knew this was the place for me. Carrie and I met on another weight loss site, and have been virtual friends for a few years!!
    I am a wife and mom of three children, 10, 8.5 and 5. I stay home, but am a full-time student. With that and few other stresses, I have gained back most of the 25 lbs I lost two years ago. Devasted! I am only taking two classes in the fall to cut down my stress level.
    I love to jog, walk, Zumba and kick boxing. Unfortunetly, I haven't done much because the time I did my workouts I feel I need to study. So, I got out there today, and should be able to fit in at least 30 minutes 5 days.
  • LaundryGirl
    LaundryGirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! :) My name is Katie. I am 26 and live in Idaho. I'm a preschool teacher, and I am a horrible binge eater! I have been trying to lose weight for the last two years, and I have lost 26 lbs. But now I'm getting married in September, and I'd like to lose another 30 lbs. This time I don't have to 2 years to diet on and off to get it done. I'm hoping being part of this group can help me do that. :)