If you workout post-night shift (before bed)...

Options
2»

Replies

• hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Usually if I go to the gym its after my night shift in the morning. Mostly due to the fact my mom works nights too so I call her up and see if she wants to go. That way when I get done I can sleep ( or try to) then when the hubbi and kids get done for the day I'm home and awake. Then when possible I get another hour or two of sleep before work. Some nights like tonight I get some exercise at work while every one here is sleeping.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    Usually if I go to the gym its after my night shift in the morning. Mostly due to the fact my mom works nights too so I call her up and see if she wants to go. That way when I get done I can sleep ( or try to) then when the hubbi and kids get done for the day I'm home and awake. Then when possible I get another hour or two of sleep before work. Some nights like tonight I get some exercise at work while every one here is sleeping.

THIS IS PRETTY MUCH WHAT I DO ALSO:bigsmile:
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    As soon as I get home in the morning I immediately work out. ...... I shower, have my breakfast, and stay up a bit so I can digest the food before sleeping. I leave my house no later than 6pm so I get up around 4:30pm. I'm in no mood to workout at that time.

This is me exactly, too. If I don't workout immediately when I get home there is a better than good chance it won't happen. My workouts are usually 45 min (Kinect, DVD's whatever) to 1.5 hours (running). I workout at least 4 days per week.

So far it's working pretty well.
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    Options
    I can't work out if I know I'm doing a crapload of stuff in the afternoon before going to work. I usually get up around 5:30 in the afternoon, and work 10:30 PM to 7:00 AM. So that's 5 hours I'm up doing stuff around the house, before going to work. I'll be worn out at work if I've done too much beforehand. It's a tough give-take situation.
  • Cobehale
    Cobehale Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Working nights and working out is hard. I'm sure others have this issue but I rarely can sleep a consecutive 2+ hours during the day. It's awful. So, waking up early to get my butt to the gym every day that I'm working is a joke.

that's my problem, my mom takes the 3 year old so I can get some sleep but I have such a difficult time. I would love to stop and work out on my way home, but the kids have clases at the Y a couple nights a week and I have to be up then to take them so I work out then but it is always rushed and I have fit it within the time limits of their classes. A little frustrating but better than nothing.
  • designkid78
    Options
    I work 2200-0630, and I usually work out right after work. The gym I usually go to is just a few miles from the hospital I work at, and at 6:30 is pretty much never crowded. But then again it is a college campus, so most of the people I see there are alumni (like myself) and there's not too many students that early. I have found if I try and wait until I get up in the afternoon, I won't do it or the gym is filled with annoying kids there for social hour.
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    Options
    Yeah early morning gym time is nice... actually I'd say theres usually 12-15 people there at 7:00 AM when I can go... But that's not that much! Plenty of equipment.
  • Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I do my exercising in the morning after work and find that it works better for me. I can get to the park or gym before most other people, especially on week days when they have to be at work already, and I can work out in the cool of the morning before it's all hot and gross out. Then I can just get my shower and get in bed and feel tired enough to actually go to sleep. I prefer waking up right before I go to work instead of being up for a while first, so it's a good way to fill the few spare hours in the morning.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I work out after work in the mornings.
  • monicalynne68
    monicalynne68 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've tried working out after my 12 hour shift but I've only been able to do it once. Usually I'm too tired and just go to bed. I did work out once after work. A friend that I work with had to take her car to the shop to get it repaired and she asked me if I wanted to go out for breakfast while her car was being worked on. I told her I had a better idea and we both went to the gym. I decided if I was going to workout, I would stop at 7-11 and get a 5 hour energy. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! I don't think I would have been able to make it through the workout otherwise but I had heart palpitations and was all jittery for hours. I think I'm much better off going home and getting some sleep first. lol