Shifting to maintenace

Options
jojopel
jojopel Posts: 348 Member
Earlier this week, I decided to shift my focus to maintenance. I have been on MFP for almost one year and am a couple of pounds from my goal weight. A few things this week led me to this decision: I ran into a couple of acquaintances who had quite a reaction to my weight loss (34 lbs - not that much compared to others on here), I had a chat with my spinning instructor about not getting into the "just 2-3 more pounds mental game" and I bought size 2 clothing. That last factor really hit home. I know all about vanity sizing and I know I am not a "real" size 2, but it still shocked me. For the most part, I am happy with my body. I am strong and I am healthy - I now want to stay that way. I would love some new friends who are maintaining to help me navigate through the coming weeks and months.

PS - I also decided to make my diary private to test myself and make sure that I can be accountable to myself.

Replies

• PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm just about to start maintenance as well, so would like to 'buddy up' if that's OK? (I've sent an FR). I've been slowing down my loss over the past few weeks, to ease into maintenance. Trying to up my calories with healthy options is the plan (more nuts and dried fruit probably).
  • gracibelle
    Options
    I'm maintaining at a net of 1300-1500, but this is coming out of an eating disorder into recovery... If I net closer to 2000 like MFP says to do, will I gain obscene amounts of weight?
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Congrats on your weight loss! In May I'll be at my 2 year mark w/maintaining. I totally get what you are saying about realizing it is the right time, even though the scale isn't exactly where you want it to be. So many people have this "goal weight" in mind but honestly, how in the world do you know what that weight should be in the first place? I thought I only wanted to lose 8 lbs originally but for some reason, my body went on to losing much more than that. After hitting that original goal, I kept doing what I was doing to see where I would land, and then at one point the weight loss just stopped. A few weeks later I went into maintenance because I realized my body seemed to be happy where it was. Done. No more weight loss. But, since then, with more focus on strength and fitness, I went down another clothing size since then.....the scale is still the same, but here it was all about exercise.

Anyway, would love to offer support if you need it. I don't think I would have been able to be so successful without my maintaining friends here on the site. It's really hard to find that right balance at first when maintaining, sometimes it's harder than losing weight.....

take care, Robin
  • JoMFrasca
    JoMFrasca Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Welcome to maintenance! It has it's own challenges but many rewards. Robin is our fearless leader in our Maintenance Group so check us out and join if you want. It's a really nice group of folks who are into the maintenance phase. And congratulations on your weight loss achievement!

Here is a link to the MFP Maintenance Group page:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/152-maintenance

Jo