Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

Options
I tried to be productive yesterday and make the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins she had in the meal plan..... take my advice...don't do it.. they were salty and heavy and just tasted off... and for 280 calories (if i remember correctly), they weren't worth it. However, I was determined to make a recipe that was mostly healthy and satisfying so I threw those muffins out (they were that bad) and started over. I tweaked the recipe and made some substitutions and the new muffins came out great! I thought I would share the recipe in case anyone else did not care for her muffins...or who knows, it could just be me.

makes 12 muffins

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose)

1 cup rolled oats

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 egg

1/4 cup butter, at room temperature

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup milk (any kind will do)

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

4 TBSP of dark chocolate chunks

Preheat oven to 350.

Add oats to a bowl and add 1/2 cup of milk. Let soak for 5-10 minutes, while you prepare the first few steps of the muffins.

In a large bowl, combine egg and brown sugar and whisk until smooth and caramel in color. Add in vanilla and butter, whisking well. Add flour, oat mixture, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix. Add remaining milk and combine until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.

Bake for 15-18 minutes and there you have it.

For the above recipe, the stats are:

187 cals, 10.4g of fat, 21.3 carbs, 8g sugar, 4.4 g of protein and 2.5g of Fiber*

*(I used plain soy milk, if you use another type of milk, the stats may change)

Replies

• sdsmom
    sdsmom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I thought her chocolate chip muffins were so dry! For 280 calories they should have tasted wonderful!
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    I was going to bake a batch this weekend...using your revile instead! Thanks!
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I swapped out blueberries for the choc but your recipe looks much better! Thank you!
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Aw, you threw them out! I like those..

But the pumpkin muffins are my favorite <3
    I'm going to try your recipe once we finish the ones in the freezer!
  • mc322011
    mc322011 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did both the chocolate and the pumpkin and for the chocolate i added milk to the mixture so they come out more soft and are easier to pour in... I looove the pumpkin one!!! delicious!