Horse Goals this Year

Options
ymaisred
ymaisred Posts: 15 Member
So, at least in my part of the world spring is peeking through (I apologize in advance to the folks the south of the equator, that this is the post is the opposite). I am planning my equestrian goals and was wondering what everyone else is planning (and how your weight loss/fitness will help)?

1. Become a better braider... I knew a girl that would fly to Florida on the weekends and paid for her college in "cash" by braiding. I should have taken lessons from her then. Well after a 20 year hiatus, I did Diesel's entire neck last night. Some were good, some were bad, but he stood like a statue (some neck scratches by me were enjoyed). I took pictures to remind me, how bad the first round was. All in all, it was great bonding time. (Getting fit will help, because my arms hurt last night)

2. Strengthen my core!!! Doing exercises to strengthen EVERY night... it requires no equipment and there is no reason not to.

3. Win a ribbon (any ribbon) on my new horse! Hopefully this weekend as I am going to a Hunter Pace.- Then this goal will become, win a blue (or red if you're in the UK).

4. Go to a horse trial... so I bought an eventer, better event right? Intro, here I come!

I know we all do different things with our horses. But if you put your goals in writing, they are tangible. Good luck to everyone starting or trying something new this year!

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I am horseless :sad: so I have no horsey goals other than to get a bit of saddle time now and then.
  • Blugal1
    Blugal1 Posts: 92
    Options
    I have some big goals! I am just going over my goals to make sure they are SMART (um, specific, measurable, achievable, r... realistic? and t??? <-- that's why I'm going over them! ha ha) oh, timeframe, that they have a timeframe.

So I will report back! After today's ride, one of my goals is to have a stronger 2-point. I can't believe how weak I was. I was trying out Jimmy Wofford's exercises on galloping position (http://www.equisearch.com/horses_riding_training/improve-your-galloping-position-for-cross-country/2/).
  • Polydor
    Polydor Posts: 43
    Options
    So, at least in my part of the world spring is peeking through (I apologize in advance to the folks the south of the equator, that this is the post is the opposite).

Waaaaaaa :(:( That would be me . Pitch black at 8pm and freezing!!!

Anyways, i oddly do have a couple horsey goals this year.

1) Find somewhere to have lessons ! And therefore start riding regularly again since its been 4 years + since any sort of lessons but probably closer to 6 yrs.

2) Keep fit in winter in the cold, rain, wind and rain and did I say rain already? lol

P.
  • jlyle73
    jlyle73 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So exciting that we can start counting the days!
    I usually have a list - last year it was a dressage score that started with a 2, qualify and go to the AECs, gold medal (USEA thing for getting so many scores under a certian point) - I was very lucky to accomplish them. This year my only goal is a successful move up to Training - it's a big step from Novice, I want to do it well and preserve my horses's confidence.
    My first event is in May - we'll do Novice, the plan right now is to try Training at our second event on our home course in June, then we'll go to Chicago two weeks later. I'm not competing at all in July in order to go to camp for a week - with Leslie Law, Lesley Grant-Law & Stephan Bradley. After that we'll hopefully do one event per month Aug, Sept & the area championships in October (wheather we compete in the championship division or not - we'll see:)
    Good luck everyone and keep us posted!
  • BackInAFlash
    BackInAFlash Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am really hoping to make time to show this year...first level!! I need to fit more ride time in during the week! Guess I should learn the new tests as well. If all goes well, maybe a small event in the fall :)
  • spacehorse79
    spacehorse79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well, my sister and I have signed up to ride with Steuart Pittman this coming weekend. My horse and I have really been on vacation since the baby was born, who will be 2 in July! :glasses:

We normally are not able to be up and riding this time of year- but it was never really winter here this year. Ground never really froze and it has not been raining like normal so we have been able to get more ride time in (I do not have a ring..yet).

Get my butt whooped into shape this year! Hoping I can do a BN by fall.
  • ymaisred
    ymaisred Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well, Blugal said it perfectly... SMART goals! Love the link, I could have used that yesterday.

Skylark, that is STILL a goal!

Poly, I was totally thinking of you! You need to find an indoor ASAP!

Jlyle, those are some pretty descreet goals. Good luck!

BiaF, you go girl! I have only memorized one... but that is a start right? You need to record yourself saying them over and over and listen to it in the truck!
    Well, my sister and I have signed up to ride with Steuart Pittman this coming weekend.

Spacehorse, you live near me...:happy: I had a lesson with Steuart on the 11th, he and my normal instructor both said I had a weak core (see number 2 on my list). Are you planning on going to the MDHT series coming up? I am thinking on doing Intro!
  • Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    ymaisred and spacehorse, I heart Steuart! He's not my regular trainer but I usually head up his way for a few jump lessons a year.

Let's see...goals for this year...

1. T3D at Waredaca in October
    2. Improve dressage, develop a counter canter, scores in the low 30s
    3. Silver and Gold medals at Training level (Gold will be a stretch....see above dressage goal lol)
    4. Work toward a Prelim move up. Actually making the move up is not a firm goal this year, but if it happens then awesome! Jumping is mostly there, see goal 2.

I'm planning on the adult camp at Loch Moy in June with Mogie Bearden-Muller, Stephen Bradley, et al. HTs on the calendar this year are Morven, Kelly's Ford, MDHT, Marlborough, and Waredaca. Other possibilities are Redland, MCTA, and Surefire. In our spare time Linc and I are going to take a spin in the AO hunters...you know...for shiggles ;)
  • ChocFiend
    ChocFiend Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    1. Train my horse to do a flying change (on cue) without gonig disunited- achieved TODAY in my lesson :-) :-) :-)

2. Go to my local show on the may bank holiday and HAVE FUN. ultimately I want to enter a hunter class and not come last & would love to have a go at the jumoing too.

not too adventurous compared to some of you - but enough for me for now!
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    Hmmm...

1. Build up my CORE muscles. I really need to use them more when riding the big guy. He works my entire body.

2. Get his canter more refined and giving more.

3. Get his upward transistion into the canter within a couple of steps..not entire ring.

4. Doing T-2 with him this fall. We are starting with Intro A & B in a few weeks for test. That is a stretch but doable. (I don't like T-1 to confusing)
  • jlyle73
    jlyle73 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Duckz - you know I want to follow in your footsteps! & to continue that trend I am riding with Stephan Bradley after you this summer so I'll be pestering you for the scoop so I can prepare! Have you ridden with him before? I switched camp weeks when I heard he was going to be there the second week! We've been working hard on the counter canter too - it improves everything else with us!
  • VesperSparrow
    Options
    I'm an older, timid rider and have been queen (not by scores but by attendance record, LOL) of Intro the last few years on a couple of green horses, although I did Training four years ago with my previous been-there, done-that mare, This summer, I hope to make it to Training on my green, young but very sweet mare. I just have to just get over my fear of cantering on her, she's big moving, we haven't really gotten our steering down yet and I have to master my tendency to grab her mouth on the up transition.

Sound like ridiculously small goals but they're huge for me. 100% of it is in my head because I'm more than capable of this. And she's a wonderful mare who despite her young age, wants to save my bacon--I noticed the other day when I was working on my two point and took one leg completely off the saddle on purpose just to reajusst myself, and she slowed down because she thought I was losing my balance.
  • Duckz1
    Options
    1. Train my horse to do a flying change (on cue) without gonig disunited- achieved TODAY in my lesson :-) :-) :-)

What a big accomplishment! I'm SO jealous!
  • Duckz1
    Options
    Duckz - you know I want to follow in your footsteps! & to continue that trend I am riding with Stephan Bradley after you this summer so I'll be pestering you for the scoop so I can prepare! Have you ridden with him before? I switched camp weeks when I heard he was going to be there the second week! We've been working hard on the counter canter too - it improves everything else with us!

I haven't worked with him before but I'm looking forward to it! Are you doing LAZ's camp? I'll let you know how it goes.

Dressage is a huge weak spot for me. Lincoln is perfectly capable but our progress has been limited (if I had access to my trainer on a weekly basis it might be a different story). I'm planning to send him to her place for a week in August for a bit of dressage boot camp. Then I'll head up on the weekend to learn where all the new buttons are located ;) At the very least we'll be better prepared for the T3D test, at best we might be able to try a prelim in the fall.