Hypothyroidism for 2 years

Options
I've had hypothyroidism for 2 years and I've been scanning over the posts you guys have been putting up. Its actually strange, because my doctor never sat down and had any kind of conversation with me besides telling me to wait an hour before eating and to take on an empty stomach. Im on 75 mcg of synthroid. He did tell me that weightloss would be slow but to eat right and it'll come off like any other person, which has been happening. On here I see people talking about modified eating regiments, low carbs, high protein for us thyroid patients but Im kinda confused to be honest.

Replies

• kagero1976
    kagero1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is just my personal opinion, but I think that one of the problems losing weight with hypothyroid issues(even treated) is lack of energy that a "normal" person has. It is hard to stay active when you are feeling pooped most of the time. Having your medication be optimum is the first step in overcoming that. Some people do find on Synthroid(t4). Some people do better on Armour(natural t4 & t3 from pigs). I find that natural or synthetic doesn't matter to my body but that having t3 in addition to t4 does.

Then there is diet. There is evidence that gluten issues and thyroid issues are connected. They don't know if gluten issues could cause thyroid issues or visa versa. Some people try gluten free and find it has a positive effect on them. I know I will drop several pounds right away from bloating from gluten. The success from high protein diets might be from lack of gluten in most cases or maybe it is for another reason.

The things that people suggest are all things you can try to see if they have a positive effect on how you feel. Most mainstream doctors won't recommend any of them because there is no mainstream medical reason to suggest them. It is more about what people have found works for them. Oh, except the calcium thing. That is something a lot of doctors don't mention but most thyroid medications will mention it in small print. They dont aborb as well if taken within so many hours of calcium. Also, taking it on an empty stomach is usually in the small print.
  • tpeacoe1
    tpeacoe1 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks a ton:) About this Gluten thing though? What exactly is there to eat without Gluten? And you've had success with it?
  • geezalawheez
    geezalawheez Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you eliminate gluten from your diet you're basically cutting out bread. If you adopt a low-carb diet, there's a good chance you're eating wheat free at least. There are a lot of gluten-free alternatives to bread, pasta, etc. Celiac.com is a good site to figure out which foods contain gluten and which foods are safe to eat.

I don't necessarily get sick if I eat gluten, but before I stopped eating it I frequently got stomach cramps and felt bloated the majority of the time. I also had eczema-type bumps on my arms that almost completely went away after cutting out gluten. Sort of like an allergic reaction. It seems that people with hypothyroidism do better without gluten, but that doesn't mean that you absolutely can't eat it. I would try it out for a month or so and see if you feel any better.

My first GP never told me about foods or supplements that would interfere with my medication (I was originally on Levothyroxine but have since switched to Armour). My dad has been taking synthetic thyroid for about 15 years and he told me to wait 30 minutes before eating anything with calcium, but this absolutely does not work for me. The label on the medication says to wait 4 hours, but I have found that I eat foods with calcium after 2-2 1/2 hours. Just to be safe, I wake up at 6:00 every morning to take my Armour, then eat breakfast at work around 9:30 so I don't have to worry about avoiding certain foods.