New to Paleo-what should my goals be?

Options
Hello, I have been looking into Paleo for a few weeks now and find it very appealing, especially the anit-inflammatory and weight loss aspects. I don' know what the MFP goals should be set at for calories, carbs, fat, and protein to make this work. If anyone can give me some tips, I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    from what I've read there is no magical formula, I'm at 50% fat 15% carbs and the rest protein at the moment and it works for me so far. Listen to your body.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I am 40% Protein, 40% Fat, and 20% Carbs.

A common misconception is that eating paleo leads to weight loss... typically it does because you are eliminating foods that are calorie dense like breads, pastas, cheese and substituting with nutrient dense foods. In order to lose you will still need to maintain a calorie deficit. You will be able to eat more volume because your foods are nutrient dense and most likely not calorie dense like greens, vegetables, lean meats, etc. This will probably in turn cause you to feel full and more satisfied which will help you avoid overeating. Also, it's pretty hard to overeat when you focus on lean proteins and vegetables.

I only make this statement because so often I see paleo-ers spouting off in the main forums how eliminating grains/gluten or sugar is some magical trick that causes pounds to melt off. They also claim that they are eating more food than they ever have before. They maybe eating more food but they aren't eating more calories. Calorie=calorie, I refuse to argue with thermodynamics. You might not think you're eating in a deficit because you will probably feel more full, eating a larger volume of food plus proteins and fats are very satiating, but you are eating less cals than your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. That is the only way to lose weight.

And end of rant... welcome to paleo, the transition can be hard but it's worth it in the long run!
  • breathekindness
    breathekindness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 40% Protein, 40% Fat, and 20% Carbs.

A common misconception is that eating paleo leads to weight loss... typically it does because you are eliminating foods that are calorie dense like breads, pastas, cheese and substituting with nutrient dense foods. In order to lose you will still need to maintain a calorie deficit. You will be able to eat more volume because your foods are nutrient dense and most likely not calorie dense like greens, vegetables, lean meats, etc. This will probably in turn cause you to feel full and more satisfied which will help you avoid overeating. Also, it's pretty hard to overeat when you focus on lean proteins and vegetables.

I only make this statement because so often I see paleo-ers spouting off in the main forums how eliminating grains/gluten or sugar is some magical trick that causes pounds to melt off. They also claim that they are eating more food than they ever have before. They maybe eating more food but they aren't eating more calories. Calorie=calorie, I refuse to argue with thermodynamics. You might not think you're eating in a deficit because you will probably feel more full, eating a larger volume of food plus proteins and fats are very satiating, but you are eating less cals than your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. That is the only way to lose weight.

And end of rant... welcome to paleo, the transition can be hard but it's worth it in the long run!

yes, I understand I cannot eat whatever I want and how much I want, that is what got me hear in the first place :D.and that is why I am here tracking things! I was not sure if there were any guidelines to getting the right amounts of each. Thank you for your help.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Haha good! There are some estimates for macros but nothing set in stone. I make sure I meet my protein and fat and usually my carbs fall into place pretty well after that.

I would start with your protein number, ~1g protein/1lb of lean body mass. After that figure out how much fat you want to eat 30-60% is what seems pretty typical. Then fill in with the carbs.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm at 40-40-20 as well, for 1330 calories per day + whatever I get for working out. I typically get 400 extra calories for working out.