Cookbook recommendations

Options
QuakerMom
QuakerMom Posts: 56 Member
I've found several websites with good paleo recipes, but i really prefer having a book I can leaf through when i'm not at the computer for meal planning. I have several (primal blueprint cookbook, paleo comfort foods, and paleo cookbook) on hold at our library, but while i'm waiting for those to see which one I'll want to buy, I wondered who on this forum has an actual paleo or primal cookbook you really like and would recommend owning?

Anyone here have Well Fed? I'm thinking of ordering that one come next payday.

Thx!
-Rita

Replies

• GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have Well Fed and all the others you've listed, as well as Make It Paleo. Well Fed is by far my favorite! I feel like the other books have a few decent finds in them for sure, but are mostly "no brainer" recipes. I def recommend checking it out!
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have Well Fed and think the recipes are good. Several are on her website. She is also great about responding to questions on Facebook. If you get the print copy of Well Fed there's a code in there that allows you to purchase the PDF version for a dollar. That's a limited time offer, can't remember when it expires.
  • DiscoGirl999
    Options
    I just looked up Well Fed after reading this thread. It looks lovely! I ordered it, but it's gonna take a while to get from the US to UK - think it's coming on the slow boat.
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question - for the year I've been eating like this, I have been trolling all the primal/paleo blogs, but I agree that I would rather flip through a cookbook.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations - I think I'll look for "Well Fed" as well - hopefully it won't be on the slow boat to Ohio, lol!

:) Jane
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I got the Paleo Comfort Foods and loads of good recipes in there...I have done/tasted a few (had a paleo potluck this weekend and a few people made things out of the book) and all have been good except for the biscuits (I used coconut oil instead of butter maybe they would be different made with butter). I am making the crustless quiche tonight so I have something to grab and go for breakfast the rest of the week...

Well Fed is another very good one and will probably be the next one I buy...
  • blackbelt7
    blackbelt7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have paleo comfort foods and Primal blueprint cook book and everything I have made is awesome and my non-paleo family likes them.
  • mrselbow
    mrselbow Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    - Well Fed
    - Everyday Paleo
    - Paleo Comfort Foods
    - Paleo Cookbook (Cordain's one)

I also recommend browsing:

Everydaypaleo.com
    Chow stalker
    Clothes make the girl
    Paleodish
    Fast Paleo
    Make it Paleo
    Wellness mama
    Hunter-Gatherer
    Mark's Daily Apple

for some recipes or cookbook ideas :)
  • QuakerMom
    Options
    I got the Paleo Comfort Foods and loads of good recipes in there...I have done/tasted a few (had a paleo potluck this weekend and a few people made things out of the book) and all have been good except for the biscuits (I used coconut oil instead of butter maybe they would be different made with butter). I am making the crustless quiche tonight so I have something to grab and go for breakfast the rest of the week...

Well Fed is another very good one and will probably be the next one I buy...

Quiche sounds great.
    Good for you to host a paleo potluck! I would love to do this, but don't know a single other soul who eats this way. How did you find such a group of like-eating folks in your area?
  • cathyL11
    cathyL11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love and recommend Paleo Comfort Foods and have made many recipes over and over again from that book - my husband's favorite is Farmers Pie and I have to be careful not to make it too often or he will get tired of it although he doesn't think he will but I know him.
    I've also made a Thai green curry dish from the book that was an absolute knockout. But just about every recipe I've tried from that book has been a big success and I've tried lots of them --- it's my go to book.
    I just purchased Well Fed and love the concept of pre-prepping food and storing it in the fridge to be used later in the week modular style according to whatever takes your fancy. I'm learning a lot from her suggestions on how to vary the dishes by using the same main ingredients but varying the spices, to completely change the ethnicity and flavor of the meal.
    However for the most part in our household we don't eat family meals but rather help ourselves to food whenever we feel like it - so I mostly cook complete meals so that either I or my husband can reach into the fridge and help ourselves to a portion. I also work night shift -- sometimes 6 nights in a row, another reason why I cook ahead and store the food. Still Well Fed will do very well to fit the bill no matter which method of cooking I use.
  • bibi6984
    bibi6984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    - Well Fed
    - Everyday Paleo
    - Paleo Comfort Foods
    - Paleo Cookbook (Cordain's one)

I also recommend browsing:

Everydaypaleo.com
    Chow stalker
    Clothes make the girl
    Paleodish
    Fast Paleo
    Make it Paleo
    Wellness mama
    Hunter-Gatherer
    Mark's Daily Apple

for some recipes or cookbook ideas :)

Thanks for this!! i often wondered the difference between that and atkins so ive also been trolling the posts, and i think this may be the best option for me

Im going to start looking at these sites.
  • luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have Wel Fed and Paleo Comfort Foods. Love love love Well Fed and have made so many of the dishes including homemade mayo.. it turned out great and had Pad Thai last night! I've been so busy with Well Fed that I haven't tried anything out of Comfort Foods yet!
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    I really like Everyday Paleo. Another good cookbook is Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions. It is not specifically Paleo, and there are quite a few things in there that are things I wouldn't eat... but it's a great sort of "whole foods" cookbook, and a lot of the recipies are incidentally paleo/primal, and some of the recipes that have non-paleo ingredients are easily modified.
    :)
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    LOVE Well Fed!! The recipies are great and I just made "the best chicken youll ever eat".....and it really is!! Def worth the effort to get
    (funny...I was going to post the same topic today looking for other cook books.....=)
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Make It Paleo is a super cookbook. I love it!
  • QuakerMom
    Options
    I got Make it Paleo from the library this week and am liking it but haven't cooked anything from it yet.
    The friend I was visiting last week had Nourishing Traditions, and I looked through it while I was there -- definitely some great ideas and recipes in there.
    And I am ordering Well Fed this weekend!
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My rinky dink library has no Paleo cookbooks. I did get a "clean eating" one, but most of the recipes have grains and/or sweeteners. The only recipe I saw in it was for an omelet with lots of veggies, but I don't need a recipe for that. I also checked out a "no-grain diet" book for the recipes...meh. I haven't looked at the "cooking healthy beef" book yet.

I have bought Paleo Comfort Foods, tried a couple things from that. Well Fed is on my list per the comments on this thread.
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I made Apple and Apricot Pork Chops in the crock pot on Sunday using a recipe from Paleo Comfort Foods. It was to die for! Leftovers were great, too.