another new person

Options
I just signed up, am a 67 yr old woman, having a hard time with losing. I started a gluten free diet 5 months ago because of so much digestive distress and having good luck with the destress, and my cholesterol counts have fallen from just above normal to well within normal but it hasnt helped with weight loss.

Replies

• californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome to the group and the site. Good job on the destress and the cholesterol lowering. The weight will start to come off. When I started last year it seemed to come off overnight, but we all know that does not happen. Keep on working on it and you will succeed. Good luck to you.
  • miltonp50
    miltonp50 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You'll get some good advice and support here. Loosing weight by itself helps with the digestive distress. Maybe you'll be able to eat gluten after all.
  • marynorsworthy
    Options
    Welcome to the group! Just logging in and posting my foods every day has helped tremendously in holding me accountable, and I have gotten really good support here.
  • lynneruth
    lynneruth Posts: 12
    Options
    My daughter suggested this and has been using it herself and says it helps her keep calorie counts, she is losing well. I am not very good with computers and having trouble already with logging food. I search for a food but it doesnt give my calories, just what is a serving size. I love brussel sprouts and put that in to search it and found a serving size of steamed sprouts is 1 sprout. Who eats just one sprout? I cant believe thats a full serving. This is where I have had trouble with other sites similar to this, I cant seem to operate the sites on my computer so they actually give me results.
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Hi lynneruth, welcome to the "club". It is confusing at first but just hang in and keep trying. Eventually you will get the hang of logging that food. Just ask your daughter for help, and write down when she explains. That is what I had to do when I first got a computer. I was clueless on what to do. lol Good luck to you and please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • lynneruth
    lynneruth Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome. I don't get to see my daughter too often, she is busy with her own husband, son, home and career. Its hard for her to explain it all to me in e mail. I am trying to lose weight (doctor says I need to) altho my recent blood tests show my cholesterol is way down into normal, and blood pressure is also down into normal. Just need to drop the sugar a few points. Just had my annual checkup. I can only attribute these good numbers to the change in my diet since I went gluten free last November. Nothing else has changed at all, not my weight or activity or anything else in my diet or lifestyle. I was having lots of problems with my digestive tract, and going gluten free has made big changes in that, I feel normal again. I only wish it had some magic it could do for losing weight. :)
  • Kiris2
    Kiris2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome! I'm still fairly new....joined the first of March. It does take a while to figure out the database and how to search for foods. If something has a serving of...like 1 sprout, and if I ate 6....I would just change the quantity. There is often a "generic" listing of something that helps, too. We will all gladly help what we can. And it took me two weeks to show any loss, now it's taken nearly a month to lose just 3 pounds.......but thats 3 pounds better than I was. And, a super bonus, I now have lots of great friends to share all my weight-loss-treachery with! :)
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new here, too. I know you can lose the weight. Just don't give up. :flowerforyou: