Pre/Post Tri Race Food

Options
I'm a newbie to triathlons & doing my first one on June 9th! What do you eat before and after a race?

Replies

• Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The day and a half prior to the race, I cut all garbage (sugar, fats, etc.) out of my diet and start focusing on carbs and salts. I consume water and then switch over to water/gatorade the night before. Morning of race I have a plain bagel with peanut butter.

Following the race I drink large amounts of beer, eat a plate of fries with a cheeseburger and follow it up with a large amount of ice cream.
  • LeanMeanFitnessMachine
    Options
    The day and a half prior to the race, I cut all garbage (sugar, fats, etc.) out of my diet and start focusing on carbs and salts. I consume water and then switch over to water/gatorade the night before. Morning of race I have a plain bagel with peanut butter.

Following the race I drink large amounts of beer, eat a plate of fries with a cheeseburger and follow it up with a large amount of ice cream.

Loving the post tri meal plan :happy:
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Week of the race I start pulling back on my fiber intake. GI distress on course sucks. Other than that I up my carbs a bit week of. Eat something that won't upset my stomach the night before. And I also do bagel and some PB the morning of. Maybe snack on a Cliff bar or something while waiting for my wave to go out. I'm not a huge beer before noon guy so unless it's a half iron race I'm hitting up the water. Pizza in the AM I have no issues with though. LOL.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    The week before, I start going heavier than usual with NUUN water. I also try to seriously limit my caffeine.

2 days before, I always have a big traditional carb fest - usually spaghetti or chinese noodles. The night before, I eat what seems the safest at whatever restaurant I'm at. Usually, a sandwich or more spaghetti. If I'm at home, I just make a sandwich.

Morning of, I start as early as I wake up with clif bars, or granola bars. Something to get things humming. I also will drink as much NUUN water as I can get in me. By the time I'm finished setting up transition, I try to get a gel or two, or some shot bloks in me. And more NUUN water.

During the race, I like shot bloks and sport beans for short races, add in Lance cheese cracker sandwiches for longer distances. For the run, it's all about fruit flavored gels. With lots of NUUN water to wash it all down. And flat coke if they offer it.

Post race, is whatever I'm handed. I refuse to be picky after a race. Just no sodas. Past that, if they're serving it, I'm throwing it down my gullet. And no alcohol. Alcohol after a race, when I'm already an exhausted, dehydrated, barely functioning mess, is simply not a good idea. That's for the day after.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Haha. I usually roll with whatever they hand me except after Austin 70.3. They had chopped brisket and pulled pork. Went over to get a plate and my stomach turned. Guess running through cramps for 2 hours = no BBQ.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    LIke above - all great suggestions. The big thing is dont eat anything out of the ordinary, and dont experiment on race day. If you never tried fried catfish liver - doing it a day or 2 before the race would not be the best thing to do - If they are handing out goo blocks at the race, and you never tried one - this is not the place to do it.

My pre for distance races is usually some type of carb load early - mid day, the day before, and hydration. The big problem for me is I normally do not go to bed until 3-4am - so race days you are normally up at 4:30-5ish, 1hr sleep is not going to cut it, So now about 9:30pm, I drink 1 beer and take 1/2 Xanax and head to bed.. I have yet to not have a peaceful and ultra restful sleep before a race.
    Race morning - 3 advil, 1 egg - 3 egg whites, 1 slice of jalapeno cheese and a bagel thin with some coffee. And depending on the race I will usually have a Perpetium (Hammer) bottle working up to the start of the race.

Post race - advil, followed by normally lots of beer to replace the carbs I just burned thru ;)
  • jjjohnson31
    jjjohnson31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like my race day foods since I typically don’t get to eat like that on normal days.

Pre-race: Blueberry Pancakes with maple syrup

Post-race: I spend a lot of time looking through the bakery / frozen dessert section of the grocery store looking for that motivational food that I know is waiting for me in my bag at the finish line. A pack of baked chocolate chocolate-chip cookies is what I had after the last race, and I spent quite a bit of time during the run portion thinking about those cookies.