Fasting Advice

Options
Jessb1985
Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
Hi everyone!

Been living primal for over 6 months now. Weight loss is slow due to PCOS and insulin resistance but I'm still chugging along with weights and walking

Just read this from MDA: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-weight-loss/#axzz1pD9wS623 Have been thinking of trying this for a while and it mentions it can increase insulin sensitivity if done over 20 hours

Would really love to give fasting a go but everything I read is differing, just wanted some tips and opinions, such as when you guys do it/how you guys do it etc.

Some days I eat lunch at 12 and don't have dinner until 8pm so a fasting of 8hrs, or dinner at 8pm and on a weekend don't have breakfast until 11:30am but I'm guessing fasting involves longer periods of time!

When you fast do you eat nothing at all? I read on MDA sometimes he drinks black coffee and such?

Much Appreciated
Jess

Replies

• FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    HEy Jess,
    I usually do intermintent fasting once a week on my off day. I will eat like normal the night before and then not eat except for a little coffee or else my head will explode until atleast 3. I fasted until 5 my last day off. I saw a loss of a whole pound the next day. Just make sure to eat all your calories after your done fasting that day. I ate 1600 calories after 5pm yesterday. Check out my diary yesterday if you want to see what it looks like.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I started noticing that breakfast wasn't completely required many times, so then I started skipping and found my energy level to be fine. I too was reading what Mark was saying about IF - already read leangains and the E.S.E. book. Made really good sense to me - so I have started 2x a week doing 24 hour fasts. (basically no breakfast or lunch on tues and thurs).
    I find I have surprising energy during the fast and the "hunger pains" are much more mental the physical.

I will do coffee or tea, and some BCAA's during my fast but nothing else. If I have a hardcore workout at the end of the fast, I make sure to have some protein immediately available.

I am by no means any expert at it - but have been doing it for a couple weeks.
  • QuakerMom
    QuakerMom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a modified fast once a week for the past few weeks, and it definitely seems to help the numbers to keep going down. I usually eat breakfast on my fast day, then either some soup broth or nothing but coffee/tea/water (or maybe a bit of fruit or some nuts, as today) until the next day at breakfast. It's been a nice break in the meal routine and has helped my numbers to keep going down (moderately). It's good to know you can skip a meal or two w/out getting famished or having massive cravings, especially because then if you're traveling or otherwise away from home during a meal and there's nothing acceptable available, you know you can survive with just water for a meal (or two).
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this helps or not, but here's someone describing three different methods of intermittent fasting and her experiences with each one.
    http://www.niashanks.com/blog/three-methods-of-intermittent-fasting
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm fasting right now actually :) I drink green tea and water on my fast days. I have PCOS and am also insulin resistant and had reached a plateau of epic proportions even dialing in my nutrition and carbs. I fasted Friday, today, and plan to fast Wednesday and this Friday as well. After several weeks of being stuck, I am currently down 4 pounds from last monday - most of which happened on Friday through the weekend, so my weight this morning was after two well fed days. (I do a traditional fasting where I wake up and go to bed without eating. That's my personal preference.) So far it's not difficult to do, and it's working so well I'm thinking I will make this one of my regular tricks for plateau busting, and to speed things along :)
  • samand25
    samand25 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm fasting right now actually :) I drink green tea and water on my fast days. I have PCOS and am also insulin resistant and had reached a plateau of epic proportions even dialing in my nutrition and carbs. I fasted Friday, today, and plan to fast Wednesday and this Friday as well. After several weeks of being stuck, I am currently down 4 pounds from last monday - most of which happened on Friday through the weekend, so my weight this morning was after two well fed days. (I do a traditional fasting where I wake up and go to bed without eating. That's my personal preference.) So far it's not difficult to do, and it's working so well I'm thinking I will make this one of my regular tricks for plateau busting, and to speed things along :)

Fasting really does seem to offer some benefits, but im curious about "hunger sounds" - the thing id find hardest is if I were sat next to somebody and my stomach rumbled the whole day. Does this stop naturally, or is it just the price you pay?
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I often won't eat til I'm hungry, which can be noon or later, sometimes 2 or 3, so I'm fasting from about 8pm til then most every day. I feel fine and am slowly losing weight.
  • thegoodner
    Options
    I don't really have hunger sounds...I used too before when I was still eating the SAD, which makes me wonder if being in ketosis or this WOE makes a difference? I do find it's easier to fast when I'm already in ketosis - I'm not nearly as hungry, so maybe that's why I don't have the rumbling in my tummy :)
  • bibi6984
    bibi6984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    sorry im new to this... what is PCOS? and why do people fast?
  • kcmg0730
    kcmg0730 Posts: 96
    Options
    I only fast if I'm genuinely not hungry, especially at breakfast time. So, I don't have a set day, but I have done it 2 or 3 times since I started eating differently. The biggest thing fasting has done for me is to make me 'listen' to my hunger better, which I've always struggled with a little bit. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options

PCOS = Poly cystic ovary syndrome

It's affected by insulin and can make it very hard to lose weight.

Intermittent Fasting I believe comes from the fact that cavemen would have periods when they didn't eat when food was scarce with little harm done to their bodies.
  • bibi6984
    bibi6984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

PCOS = Poly cystic ovary syndrome

It's affected by insulin and can make it very hard to lose weight.

Intermittent Fasting I believe comes from the fact that cavemen would have periods when they didn't eat when food was scarce with little harm done to their bodies.

i had PCOS!
    but i never had much of a problem losing weight... is that a common prob with PCOS patients?
  • thegoodner
    Options
    PCOS often goes hand in hand with insulin resistance which can make it easy to store fat, and hard to get it off. We tend to carry all of our weight in the belly section which jacks with the pancreas even more. Intermittent fasting has a lot of general health benefits, but is especially helpful for me since it reduces my insulin needs to essentially zero, which in turn allows my body to access stored body fat for burning :)
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of giving IF a try. Reading this article (http://chriskresser.com/intermittent-fasting-cortisol-and-blood-sugar) makes a little apprehensive because I have type 2 diabetes. But I'm going to give it a go tonight because I don't feel like making or eating dinner.