Protein, Fat & Carb Values

Options
ElementalMoe
ElementalMoe Posts: 186 Member
Hi All,

I'm wondering if you have the values, (percentage of totals?) that I should be shooting for regarding protein, fat and carbs if I'm eating Paleo? For example, I saw one diet that said 20% fat, 20% protein, and 60% carbs, but I have a feeling that the Paleo values would be significantly different.

Replies

• Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to loose a lot of weight, so mine ratios look different than someone doing paleo that is just trying to maintain.

I'm doing 5% carbs, 40%protein, and 55% fat.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Oh heavens yes - doubt 60% carbs will accomplish much. Plus you would be eating so many vegetables it would be insane :)
    Primal tends to espouse 50-100g of carbs a day. What percentage that is depends on what you calorie number is. Again, we don't try to eat to that number specifically - but without the grains and heavy carbs, you will naturally eat less (and need less).
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Just to expound on what Mike said, most people shoot for between 50 and 100g of carb *if* they are trying to lose weight; for maintenance, one should keep it between 100-150 grams. This does depend on how active the person is. If a person is still doing chronic cardio, they can go higher.

When getting started, I calculated how much lean body mass I had, multiplied that by 0.7 to figure out my protein needs (if you are doing a lot of heavy lifting, you would multiple it by 1, or a gram of protein per lb of lean body mass.) I aimed to get my macros about 55% fat, 25% protein, and 20% carb. People may respond differently--you might do better with upping the protein and less fat. It does take a little experimenting.

After eating this way for a while, I find I don't need to really track regularly any more if I'm not inclined.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I went in and set my values manually...basically I set my carbs at a % so it showed about 85 carbs a day since I am in a weight loss mode right now and then spread the rest of the % between fat and protien...

based on the calories a day (1350) my values are about

Fat - 60
    Carbs - 85
    Protien - 118

*just FYI - when you add in calories burned from exercise MFP will change your goals based on the new max calories for that day...

With my carbs I do my best to stay under the 85 a day but I am more concerned about over the course of a week...so some days I wind up at 100 or so (usually my workout days) - other days i am at 50...it all shakes out to and average of 80 or so a day in any given week...but like I said i am going for weight loss
  • Smonks00
    Smonks00 Posts: 31
    Options
    When i was eating around 50-85 carbs a day. I lost weight on the scale quickly. But now i am in the mode of gaining LBM so I have upped my protein and my Carbs. i eat about 1 gram of protein per LBM and around 100-120 carbs (more on lifting days)
    I seem to be gaining weight, but am buying smaller workout pants. So i think i am doing somethign right :)
  • ElementalMoe
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've got a calorie allowance of 1200 a day, and I'm looking to lose weight. I currently have my values set at 60 fat, 90 protein, and 75 carbs. I hope that these values make sense as far as a weight loss point of view. Maybe the fat is high??
  • twinmom01
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've got a calorie allowance of 1200 a day, and I'm looking to lose weight. I currently have my values set at 60 fat, 90 protein, and 75 carbs. I hope that these values make sense as far as a weight loss point of view. Maybe the fat is high??

nope fat isn't to high - just make sure it comes from good sources - pay the extra money and get GOOD olive oil - use virgin cold pressed Coconut oil - eat good fats - avocados, nuts...

mine are about the same...give or take 10 and I found that by lowering my carbs on the Paleo lifestyle (cause I could easily eat a few hundred by snacking on fruit) really has helped my weight loss
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    When i was eating around 50-85 carbs a day. I lost weight on the scale quickly. But now i am in the mode of gaining LBM so I have upped my protein and my Carbs. i eat about 1 gram of protein per LBM and around 100-120 carbs (more on lifting days)
    I seem to be gaining weight, but am buying smaller workout pants. So i think i am doing somethign right :)

What weight are you deadlifting there? Looks pretty impressive.
  • Smonks00
    Smonks00 Posts: 31
    Options

What weight are you deadlifting there? Looks pretty impressive.

Oh Thanks. That was my most recent PR. 145!!!!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Find a BMR calculator, I recommend www.fitnessfrog.com, find out what your BMR is. I also recommend calculating your TDEE and figuring a daily calorie deficit from there rather than using MFPs suggestions of 1200cals. If your BMR is higher than 1200cals, you will most likely hit a plateau in weight loss after a month or two of eating only 1200cals. This maybe different if you are logging exercise and eating your exercise calories back, which I highly suggest as well.

ETA: I eat 40/40/20 P/F/C. I calculated my protein based off of 1g-1.5g protein/1 lb of lean body mass, from there I determined how much fat I wanted to eat, typical range is 30-60% and filled in the rest with carbs. I may be a little higher than some on the carbs but I run 4 times a week and CrossFit 3 times a week so I'm more in the "Paleo for Athletes" range for the macro breakdown.
  • ElementalMoe
    Options
    Thanks Rebecca - I just upped my calories a day to 1500 based on my BMR. I'm a little nervous about it, mind you. :) Also modified things to bring fat to 67, protein to 150, and carbs to 75. I'm so used to eating 1200 calories, this is going to take some getting used to. For some reason I have a mental block regarding my calories - I feel that I won't lose if I eat more than 1200. . . But I know that it's hogwash. . . Perhaps having the extra 300 calories a day will keep me from snacking when I shouldn't on things I should avoid, as that does seem to be an issue with me.
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Find a BMR calculator, I recommend www.fitnessfrog.com, find out what your BMR is. I also recommend calculating your TDEE and figuring a daily calorie deficit from there rather than using MFPs suggestions of 1200cals. If your BMR is higher than 1200cals, you will most likely hit a plateau in weight loss after a month or two of eating only 1200cals. This maybe different if you are logging exercise and eating your exercise calories back, which I highly suggest as well.

ETA: I eat 40/40/20 P/F/C. I calculated my protein based off of 1g-1.5g protein/1 lb of lean body mass, from there I determined how much fat I wanted to eat, typical range is 30-60% and filled in the rest with carbs. I may be a little higher than some on the carbs but I run 4 times a week and CrossFit 3 times a week so I'm more in the "Paleo for Athletes" range for the macro breakdown.

" I calculated my protein based off of 1g-1.5g protein/1 lb of lean body mass." You might know this (but I didn't), I checked an online LBM calculator, as I had no clue and guessed way higher than I could possibly eat in protein. :embarassed:
  • twinmom01
    Options
    Thanks Rebecca - I just upped my calories a day to 1500 based on my BMR. I'm a little nervous about it, mind you. :) Also modified things to bring fat to 67, protein to 150, and carbs to 75. I'm so used to eating 1200 calories, this is going to take some getting used to. For some reason I have a mental block regarding my calories - I feel that I won't lose if I eat more than 1200. . . But I know that it's hogwash. . . Perhaps having the extra 300 calories a day will keep me from snacking when I shouldn't on things I should avoid, as that does seem to be an issue with me.

By giving yourself more calories you can eat more calorie dense good for you food - like avacodos and snacking on nuts...
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Since my focus is the Primal Blueprint, that's what I'm going to quote here...

Protein should be 1 gm for every lb of lean body mass. You find your lean body mass by taking your weight x body fat % (as a decimal). Subtract that number from your current weight. For instance: my weight is 212. My body fat % is 42.5% (so I use .43).

212 x 0.43 = 91.16 lbs. 212 - 91.16 lbs is 120.84, so 121. I aim for 121 gm of protein per day.

I aim for no more than 75 gm of carbs b/c I'm in weight loss mode.

using those figures and playing with the percentages on MFP in the custom goal setting screen, I came up with 20% carbs, 35% protein and 45% fat.

Hope that helps.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    I feel it's something too that helps just to mess around with- try different ratios till you find where you're comfortable. I've found I feel best when I'm at 60% fat, 25% protein, and 15% carb (I have a lot of insulin resistance in my family, so lower carb seems to do better for me). But I'm not overly strict at meeting those. Some days my protein is higher, sometimes my fat... and I don't worry too much on days my carbs are a little over, if they came from a good place.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to loose a lot of weight, so mine ratios look different than someone doing paleo that is just trying to maintain.

That looks much like mine.
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump for newbies. 8-)
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Thanks, MrsAbles!
  • chelll224
    chelll224 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Since my focus is the Primal Blueprint, that's what I'm going to quote here...

Protein should be 1 gm for every lb of lean body mass. You find your lean body mass by taking your weight x body fat % (as a decimal). Subtract that number from your current weight. For instance: my weight is 212. My body fat % is 42.5% (so I use .43).

212 x 0.43 = 91.16 lbs. 212 - 91.16 lbs is 120.84, so 121. I aim for 121 gm of protein per day.

I aim for no more than 75 gm of carbs b/c I'm in weight loss mode.

using those figures and playing with the percentages on MFP in the custom goal setting screen, I came up with 20% carbs, 35% protein and 45% fat.

Hope that helps.

This was hugely helpful. Calculating protein needs off of lean body mass makes perfect sense. And I lowered my carbs a little more too, which is how I've been eating anyway. It just seems so strange to have my fat that high after a lifetime of eating low fat. Thanks for the great info everyone!
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options

This is pretty much what I'm doing as well. I think my percentage has higher fat. This ratio seems to work for me the best. The lower the carbs the better. Although I do like to switch it up from time to time to keep my body confused. :)