Almond Milk

Options
seal57
seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
I tried almond milk this morning and found that even though it taste ok it left an after taste.....The brand is Sanitarium So Good.....

I posted in the main forum but the brands that a couple mentioned I could find at Woolies or Coles online.....

I was wondering if any other Aussie has found the following brands:
Blue Diamond or Silk brand almond milk
Unsweetened Coconut Almond Milk......

Replies

• da_sammit
    da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i tried the so good almond milk too.. to me it tastes like raw sugar, water and almond barf. not nice on its own but i can cook with it.. i havent seen any of the american brands here but i would suggest going to look at places like mrs flannerys?? i havent been there yet to check them out
  • seal57
    Options
    Thanks....Did a search for Mrs Flannerys but she is only in QLD....
  • da_sammit
    Options
    oh i thought she was australia wide.. sorry! do you have any health food type stores down where you are?
  • seal57
    Options
    Yes, we do have health food stores.....I will check them out when I'm next down town......
  • anastasiab1621
    anastasiab1621 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I buy the almond breeze (unsweetened) at my local Coles in Brisbane

So good is far too sweet!!
  • seal57
    Options
    I buy the almond breeze (unsweetened) at my local Coles in Brisbane

So good is far too sweet!!

Thanks.....will take a look at Coles.....
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I saw the Almond Breeze (I think!) in my Coles today (Tassie) and I think there was another one as well..not the So Good. I had a heart attack at the price. 5 dollars something for a litre! I'll stick to milk from a cow for 1$
  • da_sammit
    Options
    ive seen the almond breeze at a coles in pelican waters on the sunny coast but nowhere near where i live. sad.

where did you see the one in brissy???
  • jarrodc
    jarrodc Posts: 102
    Options
    I've only tried 1 brand of almond milk, didn't really like it that much, it was ok though. I find rice milk tastes better, soy milk is a close second too, oh and oat milk is quite nice too. Just some ideas :) They're all pretty comparable nutrient-wise.
  • Roundabouting
    Options
    I agree with jarrodc, I'm a real fan of rice milk (vitasoy brand), soy used to be my favourite before I discovered rice milk. Oat milk is okay from what I remember but I haven't had it in a while. I tried one brand of almond milk I found in a health food store a few weeks ago and was shocked when I went to the register and discovered it was $7!!! When I actually tried it I really wasn't fussed on it and didn't even bother finishing the carton. I bought the almond breeze in coles about a week or so ago only because it was about 3 bucks but I haven't tried it yet.
  • seal57
    Options
    I just wish they were a tad cheaper.....would make my own but would get sick of that pretty quick....Thinking of staying with cows milk. Maybe might change when I need the extra calories.......Will see when I get there....

Thanks for all your input................
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I find the So Good brand of almond milk WAY too sweet for anything except fruit smoothies.
    It is much better to make your own then you adjust how rich and how sweet it is to your personal taste.

It is simple as:

- soak almonds in water overnight.
    - blend almonds with water in blender
    - put milk through a sieve or use a nut milk bag to squeeze out milk and leave behind the solid bits (which you can actually use on cereal or whatever so nothing is wasted).

You can then sweetened it if you like a little or add vanilla if necessary.

Now the proportion of almonds to water is what determines how creamy it is. I like to do a 1 cup of almonds to 4 cup of water personally. But i've seen some people do 1:3 or even 1:8. More almonds, equals a little higher calories.

From some research i've worked out the 1:4 ratio gives you 84 cal per 250ml cup
    and 1:8 is 43 cals per 250ml (but i find this ratio too watery for my personal taste).

Oh and make sure you are using raw unroasted almonds as well.

By the way this method also works for other kinds of nuts e.g. Brazil or cashew. I've not tried these, but apparently brazil is lovely.

I still drink regular dairy milk. But find this is a good go-to when i run out of milk and don't want to go to the shops to get more. I always have almonds in my cupboard. :)
  • seal57
    Options
    I find the So Good brand of almond milk WAY too sweet for anything except fruit smoothies.
    It is much better to make your own then you adjust how rich and how sweet it is to your personal taste.

It is simple as:

- soak almonds in water overnight.
    - blend almonds with water in blender
    - put milk through a sieve or use a nut milk bag to squeeze out milk and leave behind the solid bits (which you can actually use on cereal or whatever so nothing is wasted).

You can then sweetened it if you like a little or add vanilla if necessary.

Now the proportion of almonds to water is what determines how creamy it is. I like to do a 1 cup of almonds to 4 cup of water personally. But i've seen some people do 1:3 or even 1:8. More almonds, equals a little higher calories.

From some research i've worked out the 1:4 ratio gives you 84 cal per 250ml cup
    and 1:8 is 43 cals per 250ml (but i find this ratio too watery for my personal taste).

Oh and make sure you are using raw unroasted almonds as well.

By the way this method also works for other kinds of nuts e.g. Brazil or cashew. I've not tried these, but apparently brazil is lovely.

I still drink regular dairy milk. But find this is a good go-to when i run out of milk and don't want to go to the shops to get more. I always have almonds in my cupboard. :)

Thanks heaps for this.....Regarding the solid bits, how best to store it and how long will they keep?.....
    How long does almond milk keep?.....:flowerforyou:
  • anastasiab1621
    anastasiab1621 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My local Coles is Paddington. The more expensive brand people are talking about is a certified organic brand. Worth the money if you have it.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I think about a week for each. The solid almond bits grow mould when they get too old (learnt this from experience!).
    You could probably keep the solid bits for longer though by roasting them in the oven, or dehydrating them in a dehydrator. Then they'd probably last month like regular almonds.
  • seal57
    Options
    Thanks Ange_
  • Rollingstone74
    Options
    Pure Harvest has Rice, Almond and Oat milks available in coles, victoria. It's the organic brand.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    For anyone else looking for almond milk...I did have this written down from the last supermarket visit, but I've lost the list it was on of course. So I checked Coles online.

Almond Breeze (original and unsweetened), 1L - 3.50
    Pure Harvest Organic Almond Milk - 1L - 5.87
    Sanitarium So Good Almond Milk - 1L - 3.72

Woolworths online have:
    Sanitarium Almond Milk - 1L - 3.54
    Australian Own Organic Flavored Almond milk - 1L - 4.07

Aldi online doesn't show almond milk.