Defending Paleo on the Main Boards

Options
rebeccap13
rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
I get very frustrated watching people try to defend Paleo on the main boards on MFP.

Here's a list of dos and don'ts:
*Don't quote Mark's Daily Apple when trying to "prove" any part of paleo... it's not a scientific journal! It's based mostly off of one man's nutritional journey.
*You didn't lose weight solely by eliminating gluten or sugar, you lost weight because you were eating at a deficit, calories=calories when it comes to weight loss. I refuse to argue with thermodynamics. Don't treat paleo like a magical diet for weightloss, it's not.
*Don't treat paleo like the be all end all of nutritional lifestyles, different strokes for different folks.
*Do share your experiences respectfully on the boards with those that are inquiring about paleo
*If you can't find a scientific study to prove it, it's best to say that "I'm not sure why scientifically, but this is what has worked for me..."
*Agree to disagree... back to the whole different strokes for different folks mentality
*Weight loss=/=healthy... both sides of the argument need to remember this
*Minimizing processed foods in our diet is not exclusive to paleo

I just think that once paleo followers start letting their results and personal experiences speak rather than making extraordinary claims of paleo being the ultimate diet for everyone then it will stop being treated/questioned like a fad. Besides it doesn't differ much from most clean eating diets anyway. And if you're going to get up in arms over someone being able to negate everything you quote from marksdailyapple on the boards with a legitimate scientific study then just stay off the boards and stick with the paleo group. No need to stress out because someone living 3000 miles away from you doesn't agree with the way you eat.

That's my two-cents on the subject. I eat paleo because I have no self control when it comes to breads, pastas, and dairy and I'm slightly gluten intolerant. I fully plan on reintroducing dairy fully once I reach my goal weight and minimally consuming gluten products. I will not give up beer, pizza, or bacon cheeseburgers for the rest of my life. That would be hell for me... literally. :D So its 80/20 for me, probably for the rest of my life. I like eating clean and not putting my body through dealing with a bunch of processed crap all the time.

Replies

• AlaskaLily
    Options
    So true. I am guilty of preaching the Paleo thing, because it has done wonders for me. I need to remember that it may not be so for everyone. Great post. (Thanks for the inspiration daily too!)

I do miss beer, which is my favorite thing ever...especially my local VT brew...maybe some day!
  • rebeccap13
    Options
    I think the best thing for people to do is share their success with it. I just get frustrated to see people make such outlandish claims that they're not eating at a deficit and they're still losing JUST because they're eating paleo. SOOOOO WRONG! And it makes the paleo community look like idiots on top of it!

Your 30 Day Challenge is a huge inspiration for me! Seriously, that is amazing!
  • katiejoycecross
    katiejoycecross Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I get really frustrated with people who try to tell me what I should or shouldn't do ;)

That said, I don't bother, it's good for me it may not be for other people and I've only just started on Paleo.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I won't lie, I don't even CLICK on a link to the main boards if I suspect it is another "paleo/primal" topic. For the most part, I think people have made their decision one way or another, whether it makes sense or not. It just seems like a huge waste of time/effort to argue about something that I know works for me and that I know make me feel so much better.

It's not just "paleo/primal" topics I avoid either. I also don't want to see any more arguments over plateaus, starvation mode, etc. and I think a LOT of people would benefit from using the 'Search' function before posting their question, because most times I feel it's probably been answered a billion times over.

I try to make the most of the time I spend on the MFP communities by helping and offering advice when someone is struggling. I can't justify the use of time to debate with random folk on the internet, whether it be here, on the main boards, or in any internet forum. As someone who used to be addicted to the internet, I had to decide that it just wasn't worth it when I could be doing something productive.
  • kcmg0730
    kcmg0730 Posts: 96
    Options
    I agree with all of the above wholeheartedly. I've stopped looking around on the main boards completely now...I am tired of being 'proven wrong' at every turn. I don't need to defend the way I am choosing to eat...I feel fantastic, I'm losing weight and that's what matters to me right now. This ISN'T the best lifestyle for everyone, but it's obviously the best for a bunch of us...we don't need to defend ourselves.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Success posts are great, don't get me wrong. But you can get to the Before/After photos many numerous ways. Some people continue to eat fast food and as long as they stay under calories, will lose the weight they want. So before/after photos aren't a good way to "win" the argument.
  • rebeccap13
    Options
    I just get frustrated mostly with people who are paleo claiming that they aren't eating at a deficit of calories and that just the switch to paleo is causing them to lose weight. And then supporting that statement with Mark's Daily Apple... there is no quicker way for people to completely disregard what you are saying by 1) claiming that your body defies thermodynamics (uhhhh doubtful) and 2) supporting that your diet is THE GREATEST THING EVER! with a blog as your main source of "scientific study".

Post your success stories in the Success Stories section and when people ask how you achieved it, tell them what you did! Say thank you to the compliments, answer any information seeking questions and ignore the people who start hating or tell them, it worked for you, it might not work for everyone. There's just a more respectable way to present this lifestyle and there's no need to stoop down to the level of bashing like many other people do(mostly non-paleoers who attack this way of eating).

Just throwing some ideas out there guys, take it or leave it, but this is the way I plan on dealing with the topic of paleo. Like others have stated, I tend to just avoid the topic on the boards all together.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    I just get frustrated mostly with people who are paleo claiming that they aren't eating at a deficit of calories and that just the switch to paleo is causing them to lose weight. there is no quicker way for people to completely disregard what you are saying by 1) claiming that your body defies thermodynamics (uhhhh doubtful)

there's more to it than calories in/ calories out.
    I suggest reading some Taubes.
  • rebeccap13
    Options
    Taubes is one of the most debated writers in all of dietary science. Just some food for thought. I haven't really read much of what he's written but I will have to check it out a little more.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I just get frustrated mostly with people who are paleo claiming that they aren't eating at a deficit of calories and that just the switch to paleo is causing them to lose weight. there is no quicker way for people to completely disregard what you are saying by 1) claiming that your body defies thermodynamics (uhhhh doubtful)

One of the things to keep in mind, especially when talking about processes in biology, is the 'law of diminishing returns' (or the '80/20' rule). Even though there are a bunch of modifiers to the rule "calories=calories", those modifiers are really minor to the basic rule. Most health writers (including our paleo/primal heroes) like to talk about these minor processes in black and white terms for ease of understanding, and then most layman miss the point, turn around and give them the same importance as the main process.

So, even though there are various modifiers that can slightly assist or retard the biological process (after all, we are not a simple engine but a complex mechanism) - the idea that calories = calories is still true as a basic rule of thumb.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options

I agree, I would like to think that my body is more complex than heat/energy distribution. Ultimately I think there are several factors into weight loss, insulin levels (Taubes/Eades), food reward (Stephan Guyenet), calories in/out, as well as just straight nutrient density. Most all of this comes as common sense but it is easy to ignore when you see that plate of fresh backed cookies :)
  • Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would also like to point out a couple factors that have helped me in these discussions.

First of all, the point of this way of eating is NOT WEIGHT LOSS. The point of paleo/primal eating is for our health. Drs.Eades goes into this greatly in the book Protein Power Life plan. When we get back to what our body's are naturally designed to be consuming we have lower risks of high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, strokes, heart attacks, and although the data is not conclusive yet perhaps cancer and Alzheimers. Losing weight is just a happy side effect. I always make this point clear up front.

Two, I love to hear the words "fad diet" because that is incredibly easy to refute. I point to this link, a reprinting of a letter written in 1869 entitled, "A letter on Corpulence". This work advocates a diet that avoids gluten and sugar, which is pretty much the main point of paleo. The rest may not be considered "strictly" paleo, but its close enough that it points out that this way of eating is nothing new.http://www.lowcarb.ca/corpulence/

Three I also stop calling it a diet, and use the term "new way of eating". Even with yourself. We all have a mental image of a diet, which like a movie has a beginning, a middle and an end, and implies that there is going to be a time where you will be able to "go back to normal" so to speak. With paleo or primal, and the emphasis of this way of eating being to increase your overall health instead of simply to lose weight, the term diet is, in my opinion, not appropriate. I've even had someone call me on not using the term diet. When I explained that I see this this a permanent shift in my way of eating, that I never plan on stopping. They took what I had to say a bit more seriously.

Lastly, know who you are debating. Most of the very vocal anti-paleo people I see on the boards are fitness trainers. I think they have several good reasons to be so vocal. One they went through a lot of training to learn what they know, we are telling them that all of their instructors are wrong, that can be very hard to believe. Then they go out and put what they learned into practice, and low and behold, it works. This reinforces that they are correct. After a while they've helped many people lose weight and are feeling really good about the work they do. If they accept that our way of eating is correct, that means that they have mislead perhaps hundreds of people, and that is not something they are willing to take responsibility for. So the result is to punch as many holes in the argument as they can. And bear in mind that this is before we get into fighting the double whammy of big pharma and the agribusinesses. However, mentioning any of the big picture problems with the way we eat, like big pharma and the agribusinesses instantly throws you into conspiracy theory nutbar, and anything you say can and will be ignored.

Good luck!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Taubes is one of the most debated writers in all of dietary science. Just some food for thought. I haven't really read much of what he's written but I will have to check it out a little more.

I highly suggest you check Why we Get Fat - it was a HUGE eye opener for me...

While I agree with most of what you said the only thing I disagree with is calories in = calories out...because for some people it isn't that...I am one of those people - I have been tracking on and off for over 2 years...I spent 6 months tracking every last thing I ate - my workouts everything and lost 5lbs...in 6 months...went to my Dr. - all blood work came back normal. Only since I have been on the Paleo/Primal journey and cutting out carbs and sugars (which I am well aware is not exclusive of Primal/Paleo) have I been able to loose weight at a steady pace....so eating the same amount of calories but changing WHERE those calories are from made a huge difference....
  • rebeccap13
    Options
    Once again... Taubes is ONE OF THE MOST DEBATED NAMES IN ALL OF DIETARY SCIENCE. I will check it out, but I'm not going to take one man's interpretation of scientific studies as fact. I'd rather read the studies myself.
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Reading Why We Get Fat changed my life and how I look at weight loss. I don't care how much his name is debated. In fact, the fact that his name is SO debated lends to the idea that he might be on to something, and who stands to gain/lose from that might be more interesting...

ETA: I wasn't losing weight on any calorie restricted diet until I upped my fat, lowered my carbs, and ate protein to my body mass needs. In fact, I gained weight on low calorie diets because I was eating "healthy grains", minimal fats, and skimpy amounts of protein. Any weight I initially lost was just incidental. It wasn't until I switched to a higher fat, lower carb version of Paleo that the weight started to steadily come off. But that's me, and I don't even post in the main boards. I barely post anywhere honestly. But I find it disheartening to read that my story might be less valid to you, or not appropriate for sharing as part of my story, because I read a book by Gary Taubes and it was true for me.
  • rebeccap13
    Options
    And like I said, I would much rather get the information straight from the horse's mouth and read the studies myself rather than read someone's (most likely biased) interpretation of those studies.

ETA: I'm not saying that anyone's experience is invalid. I'm just saying would rather be seeing scientific studies that support Taubes' point of view and make my own conclusions. It's easy for ANYONE, not just supporters of paleo, to pull bits and pieces of conclusions from studies and apply them completely out of context just to support their claims. It's done on both sides.

Jeez guys, I follow paleo, why are you all getting up in arms trying to defend it to a person that follows it? I like to have my opinions based on fact, and thanks for the suggestion to read Taubes. I plan on doing so and also reading the studies that he uses to support his claims. Overall though I know I was underestimating the amount of calories I was consuming when I was eating calorie dense foods like breads, pastas, sugary items, cheese, etc. or I was just flat out over consuming them because they aren't usually as filling or satiating as a diet full of nutrient dense foods which allows you typically to eat more leading to less of a chance of you over consuming calories. So by switching to a nutrient dense foods diet (aka when I switched to primarily paleo) I was in turn feeling fuller because I was eating a greater volume of food but I was still creating a calorie deficit.
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is trying to get up in arms. I am simply suggesting that your beliefs about calories need further research. That has nothing to do with Paleo or the defense of it - Paleo is a way of eating clean healthy foods. How you tweak it to reach your personal goals is up to you. Take the documentary Fat Head for example. He ate at McDonald's for 30 days (not paleo at all) but restricted carbs to >100g (not calories) and lost weight and improved blood markers at the end of the month. There is more to weight loss than Paleo, or calories. That's where Taubes fits in in my opinion...fat gain and loss. I'm not disagreeing with you except for your "unwillingness to debate the laws of thermodynamics." No disrespect intended.
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Taubes spent 5 years researching GCBC. Getting through those studies may take you some time!