Low Carb on MFP

Options
Hey,
So I am on a low carb diet and enjoying the results but the My Fitness Pal concentrates on calories. How do you guys do you diet? Do you look at both carb and calories or just concentrate on carbs?

Replies

• mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I look at calories, carbs and fiber (to get net carbs). Also track calcium (I'm of a certain age where that is important) fats and protein.
  • DaChozn
    DaChozn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I look at calories, carbs and fiber (to get net carbs). Also track calcium (I'm of a certain age where that is important) fats and protein.

I track the same categories except I swap out calcium with sugar. I used to track sodium but found that's dang near impossible to accurately track. I'm on a moderate carb diet where my actual carb grams can range from 50-140ish but are usually under 100 net carb grams. Although I have wiggle room as far as carb count compared to standard low carb dieters, I still like to stay 30g under on my sugar and usually, this number is pretty low anyway considering the nature of a lower carb diet.
  • manda1028
    manda1028 Posts: 148
    Options
    i really look at my carbs, fiber and cals. couldnt usually meet my fiber until i had a muffin in a minute tho
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I look at calories (can't lose unless calories out are higher than calories in no matter WHAT program!), carbs and fiber (to get net carbs) because I'm most satisfied, less crave-y, and less hungry when I keep those low for my calories, and then I track potassium (I've now more or less figured out the key to getting it without fruits, but tracking it helped).
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I use MFP for the forums and track food as more of a curiosity than anything. MFP isn't really set up well to track carbs, as it is a more calorie centric program.

Watch where you venture on the forums too, MFP has a very heavy anti low-carb vibe and tons of members that will actively attack those that post outside of a low carb group.
  • Sherirt1
    Sherirt1 Posts: 14
    Options
    I am sure everyone knows this already but I just figured out how to change my goals so that it places my carbs to 49 grams etc. It makes it much easier to track the carbs vs calories or even both. (FYI-click on goals-click on custom and then change the numbers to whatever you want. You could make the carbs lower too but I went with 49).
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Calories then Carbs then Protien then Fats (since the rates of carbs, protien and fat will be dependant upon the Calorie goals)

I went in and manually adjusted my numbers....I set my calorie goal at 1350 (i don't record olive and coconut oils I use to sautee in hence why I set my overall calories a little lower knowing on any given day I have 100 + calories in "extras" from oils I am probably eating) and then I set my carbs at 85...and then adjusted my protien to a level that is good for me (based on my lean body mass and the fact that strength training is my main exercise) and everything else went to fat...
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    OMG that cat is so cute! Cute cat! Distracted by cute cat!

My answer to your question isn't very helpful, but since I've been compelled to post (because of cute cat!) I'll tell you: I don't use MFP to track food. Occasionally, like once every 6 weeks, I track a day to check I'm not going way off my carb count, but mostly I track nothing. Certainly I do not count calories whatsoever. Just here to chat and squee at cute animals. ;)
  • ronellevan
    Options
    I only look at carbs now that I am on low carb.
    I keep an eye on calories purely out of interest since this it is well know that on a properly controlled low carb diet, the calories don't actually matter.
    It is kind of hard to overeat too much on this diet though, I get full really fast.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Calories - Carbohydrates - Proteins - Fats

1830 - 100g - as much as possible for protein and fat.

Ill need to lower my calories back again to 1600 while Im not at the gym and home unpacking everything from our recent move to a new apartment. But once Im back in the gym, my calories will go up again to 1830.
  • LaJaunaF
    LaJaunaF Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use MFP for the forums and track food as more of a curiosity than anything. MFP isn't really set up well to track carbs, as it is a more calorie centric program.

Watch where you venture on the forums too, MFP has a very heavy anti low-carb vibe and tons of members that will actively attack those that post outside of a low carb group.

Just for those of us who are Low Carbers, there is a way to customize your food diary to reflect your lifestyle eating and track it more accurately.
    Go to my home>goals>change goals>custom and reset the micro nutrients to reflect your personal goals. I do Atkins so these are my personal goals: Carbs:5% Fats:70% Protein:25% and let the calories fall where they may! I have mine set for 1500 cals a day but I don't stress if I am over or under that goal. I concentrate on the others. Oh, I also track my fiber intake so that I can subtract from my carbs for NET carbs at the end of the day.