Welcome

Options
EPhinn
EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
I just wanted to welcome the new members. If you feel comfortable, please feel free to introduce yourself. I'll start.

I'm 29 (just had a birthday a few days ago) and was diagnosed with lupus when I was 24, shortly after I had my first child. I also deal with lupus nephritis. Other than that, I am a military spouse, currently living in Utah. And wow, am I enjoying the sun today. I have two children, who are 3 and 4 (almost 5) and a wonderful husband who does a great job of taking care of all of us. We have a feathered family member named Hedwig, and that's our only pet right now. I've been trying to talk the husband into letting us have a dog, and so far he hasn't budged. Haha. Well, that's all I have time for. I look forward to getting to know you all!

~Eileah

Replies

• EPhinn
    Options
    Oh, and fun fact... I was named for Lt Ilia from the first Star Trek movie. My dad was a major Trekker, and I kind of followed in his footsteps as far as that goes...
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm a 34 year old Stay at home mother of 4 (16,13,9,6) plus 2 dogs (Newfoundland/lab and a 10 week old lab mix) I had lots of symptoms over the years but i wasn't diagnosed til 2007. Most of my problems are in my head :wink: Occipital neralgia is the lastest fun thing. The doctors belive the "cone" of my eyes have been damaged by the lupus. I have lots of headaches and hip pain. I figured I was gonna be in pain either way so I might as well be in pain for a good reason so I have set my goal to run a full 30 min without stopping. The weight I am carrying around from prednisone and other fun meds plus eating to stay awake, is not good for my joints (duh) so that must come off. I just lost my 2nd friend to lupus within a year and I decided that I was gonna make myself stronger so Lupus had to work harder to bring me down.

:drinker:
  • mountaingirl222
    Options
    Hi I am Jennifer. I am 28 and was diagnosed with Lupus, R.A. and Fibro last year. The condition kicks my butt but in turn I kick my butt harder in the gym.
  • EPhinn
    Options
    Welcome Rumone and Jennifer!

Rumone - Wishing you luck getting to your goal weight so that your joints can have a much needed break. I've noticed that I feel better when I'm working out, as well. I also wish you luck in reaching your goal of running for 30 minutes! I don't have a ton of experience with prednisone as after taking it for a year, I was no longer allowed to because of my liver. I do remember gaining a ton of weight due to water, though.

Jennifer - I'm sorry you are having to deal with so many problems all at once. My doctor told me that when you have one autoimmune disorder that it likes to bring friends, so although I don't have the same three conditions, I do have Lupus AND friends to deal with. I admire your strength to continue working through the pain of those conditions.
  • nataliecarter2
    nataliecarter2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My name is Natalie, I was diagnosed with Lupus 9 years ago. My prenancy triggered the Lupus and that was the first time I had ever heard about Lupus. I was literally dying in the hospital, so they had to deliver my daughter at 27 weeks. She was only 1 lb. 11 ounces. She was my miracle baby. She is 9 now and she is very healthy and active, thank God. My husband has always been there for me and has supported me through the ups and downs of my health. I deal with several symptoms of Lupus, but my main issue is that I constantly have low blood platlets (ITP). So I have been on prednisone (aside from many other medications) for 9 years and they are constantly trying new treatments, with no success so far. But aside from dealing with the daily affects Lupus, I am blessed to be very active. I am a high school teacher and I am also a Zumba instructor. I don't let Lupus hold me back in any way. I am in and out of the hospital here and there, but I just pray and continue to trust that God will get me through each day, and He alwasy does.
  • gmadiana
    gmadiana Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Diana and i'm 48. I was diagnoised when i was 38. The first few years was awful because of all the steroids i gained about 60 lbs. Topping out at 219. I was so sick ithoubht i would die before my 40th. My worse symptom is i am now allergic to tomatoes! Throat closes, face swells, tongue grows 3 times bigger; very scary. I have my lupus in control with diet and exercise and i have lost 43 lbs. Some days, like yesterday, my body just sayx i need a break; so i give it one. I work full time as a office manager for a medical clinic so the weekends are fun times for me and my husband. Oh yes and 3 awesome grandkids!
  • brishan
    brishan Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello, my name is Louise. I am 46 years old and I was diagnosed last May (2011) with SLE and Fibromyalgia. I've had a slew of "problems" over the years and the puzzle pieces finally fell into place with my diagnosis. I started Benlysta last week and after the treatment I felt human again. I get my next "loading up" dose next week and then I will get the infusions once a month.

We all know that Lupus stinks, but the worst part of this is the look on my daughters' faces when they see me in a flare. It scares the heck out of them. I met a wonderful man on October 10, 2011 and we are getting married on July 14, 2012. He has been reading up about Lupus and he has been a trouper when it comes to taking care of me during a flare. The Lupus has been a concern of mine in regard to getting married. I don't ever want to become a burden. My fiance` tells me that he loves me Lupus and all.

I take Prednisone, Meloxicam, Plaquenil, Lyrica, Corvite, TherOmega and now infusions of Benlysta. I'm now wearing hats and using sunscreen on a daily basis. Fluorescent lighting kills me so half the lights in my office at work are turned off. The sunlight also hurts my eyes terribly.

I joined MFP today to lose weight and get my life back. Good Luck Everyone!
  • rachelmph
    Options
    I was just diagnosed last month (March 2012). I was seeing a rheumatologist for 2 years before that, however, for what he called "undifferentiated connective tissue disease." My latest flare started after I kicked *kitten* in a 5K. I'm really afraid that pushing myself in the 5K is what brought on the flare, which really scares me. I want so badly to be active (and thin!) but now I constantly worry about making myself sick. I'm currently on plaquenil and prednisone, but the doctor is talking about starting Benlysta. I'm still debating it, but if it can give me that amazing feeling I had before this flare of being so proud of myself for all my progress with exercise, then I'm going to do it. I just hope I'm not disappointed.

As for food, I find it so hard to say no to myself when I feel awful. My body has turned against me, shouldn't I be able to have a donut? I know I need to take care of myself by eating right but some days it is impossible.

Thanks for starting this group!
  • hses2esf
    hses2esf Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi my name is Amanda and I am 27 years old. I was diagnosed with SLE in 2010 and also suffer from fibromyalgia and PCOS. I am currently on Plaquenil and prednisone mostly because I so far have refused to go on anything stronger ( my doctor wants me on methotrexate) I was 258 pounds at my highest weight due in part to my medications ( birth control, antidepressants, prednisone). A lot of the rest was due to a lack of excercise. I joined mfp to regain control of my life and health. I wish you all the best!
  • Lupigirl
    Lupigirl Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I'm Hollie. I'm 36 and was diagnosed with SCLE when I was 25 just after my son was born. It took about five years it get everything under control and stop the flare up. I've had a few flare ups since then but have been in remission for about three years. Now I'm having to deal with what the RA did to my knees. I'm now going to a PT to help with the knees so I can run again. My weightless journey is just getting underway. I plan is to lose 40lbs to get me back into my ideal weight. Knowing that will help me knees. I'm a full time wife and mother and a part time dental assistant. My husband is in the Air Force and we currently live in Alaska.
  • EPhinn
    Options
    Welcome to the newbies.

Diana - Sounds like you have an amazing family and support system! Just keep listening to your body and resting when you need it. :)

Louise - Congrats on your upcoming marriage! I have the eye sensitivity, as well, so I have a few pair of sunglasses that I leave in my car, purse and house. Gotta be prepared. :)

Rachel - It's easy to reward ourselves for dealing with the pain that we do, but let me say that when I'm eating healthy, I actually feel better, even through a flare. When I'm eating well and exercising (and listening to my body to make sure it isn't too much), I feel better. Could the sun exposure during your 5k have been the flare trigger?

Amanda - I also have PCOS, which in my case, causes insulin resistance. I was on meds for that, but after becoming more active, I was able to stop those. I take Plaquenil and BP meds, and just leave it at that, because my body won't stand for anything stronger. I hope you are able to regain control of your life and health!!!

Hollie - I'm also an Air Force spouse. We're currently stationed in Utah. SLE is difficult, but having kids and dealing with deployments and tdys can make it all more stressful. I'm going to PT for my knees, as well, and was currently given permission for a little running, so making progress! Good luck with your PT progress!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Hello! New to the group, but not to Lupus. I'm 27 (28 in a few weeks), and was diagnosed with SLE when I was 16. My dad's mother died when he was 7 (she was 31) from SLE, and both of his sisters passed due to complications of SLE, one was 29, the other was 34. As I start to get closer and closer to that age that women in my family cannot seem to conquer, I have been getting more and more scared. I also have Fibromyalgia, Hashimotos Disease and Trochanteric Tendinitis. It's unfortunate that you all are suffering with this as well, but at the same time, I find comfort knowing I'm not alone!
  • EPhinn
    Options
    Welcome! And Happy Early Birthday! Lupus is scary, but people are being diagnosed and treated earlier than in the past, so you have to let go of the fear and live YOUR life. Don't base your life on others. I know it's difficult to be positive when you're in pain, so take a day every now and then to feel sorry for yourself (if you need it), but the rest of the days, pick yourself up and live each day happy to be alive and push forward. :) I will be honest and say I was on the couch all day yesterday just being sick and sad. Today, I'm up and around, got dressed for the day, and plan on doing some exercise.
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! :)

I just found the group last night. I have been living lupie for the past 10 years. I started showing symptoms of Lupus shortly after the birth of my son 17 years ago. I didn't know it then. It took the docs 7 years to figure it out. I am a college student again, crafter, and love to be outdoors. I've had to adjust a few things but some how my family and I make it work. I have a great support system that I am so thankful for. I am new to the weight loss and exercise with Lupus. I have always been active and in denial for a long time. Only recently have I come to terms with the fact that I can't go full force as I once did. I am now trying to figure out and learn how to balance pushing myself to lose weight and not going to far to cause a flare. I am a little lost and not sure where to start. Thanks so much for this group!! :)
  • EPhinn
    Options
    Welcome, melkneec. I'm glad you found the group. I created it, because I know that lupies have to approach weight loss and exercise a bit differently. I hope that you find the support you need with everyone here!
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Welcome, melkneec. I'm glad you found the group. I created it, because I know that lupies have to approach weight loss and exercise a bit differently. I hope that you find the support you need with everyone here!

Thanks so much!!
  • Mommyof3CrazyBoys
    Mommyof3CrazyBoys Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I just joined the group and figured it would be great to have some supporters in weight loss that are facing almost the same challenges that I am. I am 26 years old and married 5 years now to my high school sweetheart. We have two amazing and energetic little boys who are 4 and 1 years old. I was diagnosed with Lupus when I was 19 years after a series of hospital stays and flare ups. I am on plaquenil and the dreaded prednisone. I've been doing so great lately with my weightloss and exercising. I really enjoy running and exercising. Unfortunately, I have been having flareups for the past week and have gained 3 pounds back due to my joints being swollen and locking up. No exercise for me for a few days. I hope today I can get back to running after work. I just hate that I do so well because I have about 66 lbs to lose and then my Lupus creeps up and disables me for a short time. I hope I can learn a few things from this group on basically coping with Lupus and the nasty flareups because most people I know never have even heard of it.
  • IokiOcto
    IokiOcto Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm 32 and was diagnosed with SLE w/ Sjogrens Syndrome about 2 years ago. From everything that I have read Lupus is generally genetic but no one in my family was ever diagnosed so this was all new to me & I'm still learning. I'm on plaquenil and luckily no longer have to take prednisone. After I was diagnosed I decided it was time to work on getting healthier. I've been doing great with my weight loss & exercising. I'm 19 lbs down on the 50 lbs that I want to lose. It's good to know there are people dealing with the same roadblocks that I am. Feel free to add me as a friend & we can work this thing together.
  • Yeti1083
    Yeti1083 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello all!
    My name is Shelbey and I am 20 years old (21 in less than a month) . I was diagnosed with SLE and RA when I was 17. I also won the genetic lottery with something called Hereditary Neuropathy with Pressure Palsey, which I've had my entire life.

My symptoms include/are not limited to : nerve damage, locked and postured joints, brittle bones, organ damage, ovarian cysts, light sensitivity, floresant adverse reaction, "attacks" which cause inability to communicate, loss of vision, and so on. Feels like im complaining so ill stop for now lol. Basically My life is super-duper interesting :)

I am currently medication free, besides my daily supplements. My body metabolizes and adapts to medications too quickly to actually maintain a steady medication list. I prefer to maintain my health strictly with happy thoughts and healthy food. I'm sure everyone here struggles with maintaining their sanity, as such diseases are quite good at sending us into mental conflict with ourselves and our loved ones. I am very proud of everyone who has joined this group, because as I've learned with our disease, it can be very difficult to tell others of our ailments.

People always say to me that they are so surprised to learn I live with the conditions I do, because I seem so positive and happy with my life. Normally i respond saying, im very happy with my life, when you're sick you appreciate things others never have the chance too. If you choose to view the glass as half full, we have the opportunity to look at our good days as such, and write the bad days off to our bodies being overachievers. If you EVER choose to look at the glass half empty, then go fill it up.

I've seen most of you posting that exersize helps a lot, same goes for me. I really love cardio an have been doing insanity for nearly two months now. Every forum I read from the insanity support groups, people are complaining of their sore muscles. I enjoy my site muscules, since I was actually the one to create them, not my white cells lol.

Sorry for the book, just felt like being an open one tonight. I don't know who is religious and who isn't, but ill pray for every one of you tonight in hopes you have a pain free day tomorrow. Best wishes to everyone :)

Attitude is everything :)

You can win your battle by never giving up hope that you can inspire another with your suffering.
  • alkermec
    alkermec Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    My name is Ashley. I just turned 23 years old and I was diagnosed with lupus when I was 17. It has been a long, hard road but thankfully I haven't had a flare in over a year now! I have been one prednisone since I was diagnosed, but am finally down to only 5 mg a day. I started weight watchers in January 2011 and lost about 40 pounds, now I'm having trouble again and have gained about 15 back. I joined my fitness pal and found this group, so hopefully it helps! It's just nice to see the other people understand and are trying to overcome the same struggles!