Healthy Eating Out

Options
accusima
accusima Posts: 38 Member
Where are your favorite places to eat out in the city for a healthy meal? New Orleans is known for her food, and it can get hard to balance healthy eating with the bevy of choices in our local fare!

I personally love Bennachin's on Royal St. Lots of veggie options and fresh seafood.

Replies

• turbophoenix
    Options
    I've never been to Bennachin so I'll have to check it out. Eating out healthy in NOLA is hard though... I used to go to Cafe Rani and get their bronzed tuna (no butter/oil) with a side of steamed veggies and a salad but they have these HUGE slices of cake.... Let's just say it didn't end all that well usually :P I'm still researching some more local places but I've found a few things I can modify at some restaurants. For example, if I go to Chili's I'll usually get the margarita grilled chicken with a side salad and low fat dressing instead of the black beans and rice, etc.

Anyway, I'm on the quest to find more healthy options so I'll be on the look out!!
  • accusima
    Options
    Bennachin's is west(?) African food, so couscous and steamed veggies, with seafood. They do have some heavier options, with sauces and lamb and all sorts of meat. I prefer the shrimp thing, can never remember the name! I highly recommend them, they are one of my favorite restaurants in the city.

There's also an Ethiopian restaurant near me on Magazine, but I haven't tried it yet.
  • maledoux
    maledoux Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I definitely have found that it is easier to chose healthier options at 'ethnic' restaurants because they have generally more vegetable plates and such. 'American' style or New Orleans resturants have very few 'healthy' options. For example, i went to Texas Roadhouse and even the vegetable aides were cooked with either butter or ham, etc. I've been to Bennachin recently, so good!!! It's Cameroon and Gambia food. Oh, and Cafe Abyssinia is tastey, but be careful eating so much injera. Recently, I went to Lebanon's and had their sautéed vegetable plate, amazing!! (but, I wouldn't eat the whole thing; serving is huge).
  • accusima
    Options
    I've been wanting to try Cafe Abyssinia! I live near by, but my husband isn't very adventurous when it comes to food. I've also been trying to cook at home more to help the budget as well as my waist line!
  • Leslieheindel
    Leslieheindel Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Cafe Rani has some healthier choices, but I don't find them very tasty. I would like more flavor in my life, so I like these other recommendations. I have been doing so much cooking at home, but would love other ideas of where to eat that is healthier. The Grocery on 6th and St. charles has a great chicken salad that has pecans and grapes, but i skip their dressings and take it home so I can do oil and vinegar or I bought the Kraft Balsamic vinegar with olive oil that is low fat. Only 30 calories for 2 Tbsp.

The rum house on magazine has an AMAZING ceasar salad, but god only knows how many calories in that dressing.
  • accusima
    Options
    I LOVE the rum house, but am very bad when I go! Damn good nachos and cuban... But, I did recently get the chance to try Cafe Abyssinia and I am in love!

Superior Grill has a really good salad that comes with shrimp on it, get the dressing on the side tho, it's not that great. I think the salad is perfect without any dressing.