Toying with a marathon?

Options
leahnoelle31
leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
I've always wanted to do a marathon. I've run 4 half marathons and have another one scheduled in the fall but I'm seriously considering running a full in california in June 2013. Are there any marathoners around who can give me advice?

Replies

• rneidhardt
    rneidhardt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for my first one this year - The Marine Corps Marathon in October. While I may not be much help at this point - I will be happy to share what I learn as I go!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there is a marathon group. When I find it I'll post it.

I would love to do a marathon, but for me it's a time factor. I'm a single mum and my 'alone' time is really limited.
    But I am looking at doing a half in October, we'll see.

Can I ask is there anything that is stopping you from doing it?

Consider doing a brain storm. Write down everything (with pen and paper), about what you have to do to do and prepare for a marathon. Get everything out, it will help.
  • leahnoelle31
    leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Mmk, I was a single mom too until I got married in December! I had ALOT of help, however. I agree that time is a huge deterrent in doing a marathon. My husband is super supportive even thought he sometimes thinks I'm nuts ;). My sister lives in the town where the marathon is taking place so that is an added plus to running it... Good luck on the half! I love that distance!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    leah yay for you to find happiness again and getting married.

is there a running club in your area? you could try them. I'm going to ask my running club if anyone there has run a 1/2 or full marathon so I can pick their brain.
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    @Rneidhardt: Marine Corps was my first (and 3rd) marathon. I loved it both times. I think they have changed the course a bit since I ran it but I'm sure you will still have the pleasure of running past many of the beautiful DC monuments. It is very inspiring. And the finish at the Iwo Jima Memorial brought tears to my eyes. You will love the race!
  • jillybean9881
    jillybean9881 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Speaking from my personal experience... if you've run several half-mar, you can certainly run a marathon. But even though the race distance is twice that of a half-mar, I found that the work and effort and stress on the body was much more than twice that of a half-mar. I won't be doing a marathon again!
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Just sign up for it and start training. You can do it. The training is almost better than the event; it's always amazing to me how the body (and mind) changes with more intense training. It's a gift. If you want to do it, do it.

The California International Marathon in Sacramento is a GREAT first marathon, if that location is an option for you. Flat and downhill course, great viewing along the entire route, wonderful community turnout and support, and really well organized.
  • jessicassmith
    Options
    I just ran my first full in February. My advice is to do it in the cold weather and just have fun!