Synthroid vs. Levothryoxine

Options
Okay...having some issues with my doctor and her prescription. She insists that I should take the brand name Synthroid, but the pharmacist filled it with the generic (Levothryoxine) a few times. When the pharmacy called in the refill the doctor found out and said I should be on the Synthroid. So...anyone here have any input? The biggest issue is price...my insurance co-pay has gone up and now it's $30 per month for Synthroid and the generic only costs me $12 for 3 months. My blood results last time were fine and I had been on the generic (though I think my doctor assumed I was on the Synthroid). I've been on 75mcg per day for a couple years now and I think I've been on the generic now for over a year. I know my pharmacist says he can still give the generic since I've requested it, even though the doctor wrote on the prescription "medically necessary" for the Synthroid. If there is some huge difference then fine, but I really can't see how there would be as don't generics have to be identical to the brand names?

Oh yeah...and Hi! New to the forum and newer to MFP...and addicted to it now. I've been struggling to lose the weight (put on a huge amount before diagnosed with thryroid issues and of course it's been so hard to get it off...at least the meds stopped me from continually gaining). Since using MFP I've lost over 5lbs just by realizing what I eat and watching calories as I didn't realize how much I was actually consuming daily eating things I thought were good for me. Here's hoping to continued loss!

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

My understanding is that generics can be off by as much as 10%, whereas name brands are very consistent. I started off on Synthroid but moved to Levothyroxine probably 7 years ago (give or take) because of the difference in cost. I haven't personallly noticed any issues, but everyone is different. If Levothryroxine worked for you, I think you should talk to your doctor about exactly why you shouldn't be using it. It's larcenous to suggest, but some doctors get a kick back from certain drug manufacturers. Make sure that's not the reason.
  • Shirlann46
    Shirlann46 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I was on Levothryoxine for years, no problem. Then they changed manufacturers and it upset my stomach. So went on Synthroid because my PCP said Levothryroxine wasn't working. My insurance didn't cover it-$26.74 a month. Took that for a couple months and told my PCP that I felt terrible-like it wasn't doing anything.
    My tests were fine but I didn't feel good, at all. So asked him to put me on Armour and I feel normal again.
    Really, if you can take the Generic Brand and feel fine-do it. If your Dr. still insists on giving you the Levo-see if you can see another Dr. that will listen to you. That's what I had to do a couple years ago.
    Good Luck!!!:smile:
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, the active ingredients are the same with brand names and generics, but the filler ingredients are not. Therefore, a generic might not absorb as well. Also, with generics, your pharmacist can switch manufacturers whenever they want, and you probably wouldn't know.

That being said, do what feels the best. If you feel fine on Levothyroxine, then keep taking it that way. If you feel sluggish, you might want to step it up to the real Synthroid so it is more consistent.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    very good to know that, i have noticed over the years mine has been one or the other and i never knew why one time i would get it and it would be synthroid and the next Levothryroxine..... i will have to pay more close attention to it when i get my meds and see what the difference is. right now things are good and the weigh loss is finally coming off, so i better not get a switch in my meds without knowing it!
  • ang_mick
    ang_mick Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi all - Fiberartist is correct. The active ingredients are the same but fillers vary. And yes, the manufacturer of the generic can change so be on the lookout. I was originally on Synthroid and then switched to the generic. My doctor and I scheduled for a retest a few months after generic and all looked good so I'm sticking with it. That was about 5 years ago. If you feel fine and your blood work looked fine, stick with what you've been using. Your doctor will not argue with those two facts.
  • peachie98
    Options
    Thanks everyone! That's about what I thought about the situation...if it works then stick with it, but wanted to get some outside input to back it up. It was all fine before, I just never told my doctor I switched to the generic after she ranted about staying on the Synthroid, but when they went to refill it the pharmacy must have called in the okay to the doctor and I got a phone call from her office asking which I was taking....I was out of town and didn't call her back but when I picked up the pills the pharmacy gave me Levo again. I'm sure this will be a discussion at my next check up though, lol.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Stay aware of how you feel. Years ago the manufacturer of the generic I'd been taking forever (w/good results) changed the formulatioin and I was suddenly way hyperthyroid. It took me a month or two to figure out something was terribly wrong (rapid heart rate, sudden weight loss, anxiety...I thought it was an emotional/mental health issue), and then another month or two to get in to the endo. By that time I'd lost 20 lbs, looked as if I'd aged 20 years, lost hair, eyebrows, etc.

Oops, I'd never been informed of the change by my HMO. If it happens again I will demand an app't immediately!