REALLY wanting to do this...

Options
tinana_RN
tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
Couch to 5K, that is.............. I'm afraid that I'll slack off. I used to be able to run forever, because I didn't have a choice (I was an athlete in high school). Our coaches would either run with us, or follow us in their cars (ha!) to make sure we were running.

10+ years later, I'm finding myself winded at everything... buh.

I want to start this tomorrow, but I worry that I'm too............. fat? :blushing: I plan to do as much as possible outside, but on yucky days I do have a treadmill with incline that I can use if need be.

How big were you when you started? How much did you lose/are you losing? Oh, and if there's a preferred app, what is it? I have a droid and an iPod touch if that helps.

Oh and one more thing-- how the heck do you add it for exercise?

Replies

• mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!

I'm still up in the 220+ pound weight range and have used the C25K programme and can now comfortably jog 5k, can you do it?
    I'm sure you can as long as you take a sensible approach - follow the programme but if you find it too much of a struggle some weeks then repeat a few days, give your body time to adjust to the exercise. Get fitted for running shoes so that your feet/ankles/knees are properly supported, helps minimise the risk of injury.
    I couldn't say for certain how much I lost through the C25K programme but I can say that I am a hell of a lot fitter at this end of it than I was at the other plus my body shape was much improved!
    As for apps - I use IOS and I found the C25K-Free app was very good, not sure if there is an android version but I am positive there are equivalents. You could also use Runkeeper or Endomondo apps to GPS track your runs which will also give you estimates of calories burned, which you can then add to your daily diary.
    In the exercise tab, if you search for running there is a list of entries for different speeds, just add the duration and your done!

HTH!
  • Julialee123
    Options
    You can definately do this! I have an andriod phone and I use the RunDouble app. It is free for the first two weeks and then $1.60 one time fee. I love it. You can also add your own playlist. I am just under 200 and have so much more energy than I did before I started C25K. You got this!
  • GMC_81
    GMC_81 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If you want to do this then put your positive head on and be determined to!!
    You can definitely do it.

I use the NHS free C25K podcasts, I like how they are presented. (I'll be doing week 4 day 3 tomorrow)

I have a really long winded way of logging the exercise, I do the session then map it on MapMyRun to find the distance, then sort it all out by time to find my pace. Then I log it on here under walking (for example - walking - 4.0mph - very brisk pace 30 minutes = 161 calories)
    Sometimes I map out a route first (5km usually) do the podcast session and then walk the rest. I like having a route set and its good for my other half as he knows where I should be (for safety not stalking!)

As for weight loss, I've not really changed since starting. But I know my fitness is improving every time I leave the house and I kind of feel my body changing.
  • fourluvbugs
    fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm too heavy to do it, but doing it anyway. I weighed 200 lbs when I started and I weigh 195 now (week 6). I'm still too heavy and worried I'm being way too hard on my knees, but I want to be a runner, so I'm going after it anyway. It will help to take the rest of the weight off and contribute to my overall health and fitness.

I don't use an app though most people do. At first I just used the clock on my treadmill and used its readout for calories burned. Then I got a super cool garmin running watch with an HRM that tracks all the stats for me via GPS when I'm outside, which I prefer. The garmin takes splits and I set it up so that each interval is its own lap and a lap timer is displayed. If I need to be on the treadmill due to weather or because my DH is working long hours and I have to be home with the kids, I wear the HRM to count calories and still use the clock on the treadmill for the intervals. I only have one more interval run left though, and then I'm on to all running all the time. Eeeek!

When I was starting I read somewhere that if you can possibly run the running intervals slower, you are going to fast. I don't think I would have made it though the early weeks if I was moving any faster than a suuuuper slooooow jog.

Best of luck to you. You can do this if I can.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. It's refreshing to hear that I don't have to be 110 lbs (you get my point) to start. I'm in the 220 range still :embarassed: and I don't want to get discouraged and quit. I really appreciate you guys answering- thank you.
  • kiranicsmom
    kiranicsmom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I originally started the C25K program I weighed my highest weight ever of 210. When I ran my first 5K on my graduation day I weighed 196lbs. I ended up running an additional 7 5Ks that year and walked a 1/2 marathon. I am currently redoing C25K because I usually don't run much over the winter months. I am on week 4 right now. The program is set up to help you succeed. Remember if a week seems really hard...you can redo it. I also suggest signing up and paying for a 5K at the end of your program. It helped me stay more focused and accountable by doing that. I also told EVERYONE that I was going to run that particular 5K so then others kept me accountable also by asking how training was going.

Good luck! You can do this!

Jenn
  • Kelly3475
    Kelly3475 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weighed in this morning at 233 and I'm on week 5 of c25k. Is it tough? For sure! But I'm doing it, and I'm getting stronger all the time! You can do it!
  • Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When I started I was right around 300. I finished a few days ago and I'm down 20 lbs (but to be clear, I think it's mostly from diet, not C25K). I did the program outside, running for distance. This weekend my "long run" will be 3.5 miles. I have a bad history of shin splints but a good pair of real running shoes has made it pretty much a non-issue.

I use an app called RunMeter, but have tried a couple others. I posted a blog about my experience, which you should be able to get to from my profile.

Overall, it's the best thing I've done for my health in a long, long time. Very much worth the effort...

Tim
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. It's refreshing to hear that I don't have to be 110 lbs (you get my point) to start. I'm in the 220 range still :embarassed: and I don't want to get discouraged and quit. I really appreciate you guys answering- thank you.

I started c25k when I was at 260ish, and am now down to 236.. I'm on week 5, so you can DEFINITELY do it! Before you start though, get fitted for some good running shoes! That, and stretch out well! I didnt do either of those two things the first week and almost quit lol!
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    I've just started and I'm just sitting here trying to psych myself up for week 1 day 3. I'm about 250 lbs at 5'7". I am doing it on my treadmill and am only "jogging" at 4.0 mph. I haven't been doing it long enough to feel any improvements and find it hard to believe that I would be able to jog much longer than 1 minute at a time, but we will see! I had been walking 5 to 10 miles a day for a few weeks before I started (again on the treadmill and for the most part at a leisurely pace). Ok...enough stalling, here I go (cue Rocky music)!!