Advice after wk1/day3

hsh0927
hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
Just finished day 3 of my first week for C25K and I feel amazing, kind of. My breathing is still off when I run I I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem. I know become a runner takes longer than 6 days but I don't feel like much has changed since day 1 and I'm worried that I won't be ready for the second week. To those who did experience this, were you okay with week 2? (I know it will be a challenge but I don't want it to feel impossible, either)

Replies

• My breathing is pretty poor too. I am on W3 D3 and breathing is what I struggle with the most, but I just push through it and haven't collapsed so far so I guess I'm ok. I find my throat gets really sore when it's cold too which is the worst.
  • qwants2bslimmer
    qwants2bslimmer Posts: 30 Member
    My breathing is definately the worse part of running for me. Cold mornings are the worse for me. I have tried the recommended breath in for 4 and breath out for 4 but I just panic doh! I do use my enhalers before I go which does seem to help. I know, from past running, that the fitter I become through running the better my breathing so am determined to continue. I find that taking water with me on a run helps.
  • captainlindarg
    captainlindarg Posts: 229 Member
    I have some of the same problems others have listed, but the main thing for me is not to freak out. When I freak out and feel like I can't do it it gets worse. I try to focus on my form or jamming out to whatever song I'm listening to when I start to think I can't do it and it's worked so far.

Don't stress about whether you'll be able to do next week's. Just try to do it, and if it is truly too much for you then stick with Week 1 for a little longer until you're ready to move on :)
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    I'm starting over from scratch this week, but completed the program last summer and it was great. If you have trouble with your breathing just slow down the run and try to relax. Don't feel like you have to hit a certain speed. I try to do a little breathing before I run because I would make myself hyperventilate if I focused on it too much during the run.

I never felt like I was going to be able to handle the next week, but kept trying and surprised myself every time. The system is really good. Give it a try and just listen to your body. If you need to stop running early that's fine. It isn't a race (yet-wink).
  • jhughes3155
    jhughes3155 Posts: 7 Member
    I am on Week 3, and like ya'll, my breathing has always been the hardest part of my running.

First, to me, c25k gets a little easier as you progress, becaue week 1 you're doing EIGHT runs. To me, it was too much transitioning, and once I got onto a little bit longer runs, I had more time to learn to control my breathing and get in a good rhythym.
    So, maybe try week 2 and see if it gets easier (you can always go back to week 1 if it's not--no shame in doing what's best for you!)

Second, I have always had a hard time breathing in through my nose during exercise, and kind of panic, like you said. I have recently started running with a BreathRight strip on, and it kinda helps! Still have to concentrate on making the new habit of inhaling thorugh my nose, but I do feel like I'm getting more oxygen :)
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    W2-D1 was OK til I got to the 4th and 5th runs! Then I was breathing too hard. I may repeat the week to get comfortable with it.
  • TiffanyAching
    TiffanyAching Posts: 50 Member
    i have the opposite problem! i did w1d3 this morning and my breathing has improved loads - today we chatted all the way round including through the runs - but my legs go around run 6/7 and feel like numb lead. nervous about week 2 but excited too.