How heavy?

Options
Hi!
I havent done any lifting beside what is in videos like 30 day shred. I was useing 3lb weights for those. They now feel really light.
I was to start doing deadlifts and that kind of thing. What size weights should I get.
I can only afford like one set a month. Should I jump in and buy 10s?

Replies

• Ohbutiloveicecream
    Ohbutiloveicecream Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It was either in "New Rules of Lifting" or "New Rules of Lifting for Women" where I read that men typically grab a weight that's 25% too heavy & women tend to do quite the opposite and under estimate their strength by that much.

It sounds silly but I would recommend "deadlifting" things in your house to get an idea of where you're at. If you carry a heavy bag or children throughout the day you will probably be able to lift quite a bit!
    Another really good book for those making a transition into weights is "the female body breakthrough".

Ps: Am I supposed to reference books a certain way in forums? I'm not sure....lol
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I do carry my son around a lot and he is 20lbs.
    I should get a book, but then I couldnt afford the weights! LOL. I checked my library and they dont have many.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    What I'd do- because I'm pretty sure you can deadlift more than you think- is head to walmart and pick up their cheap 40lb weight set. It's plastic and not high quality but it was about twenty bucks. While you're there pick up a barbell. Then you can start with low weight while you get your form down but for low cost you can be set to increase weight which you'll want to do to keep strong.

Plus- with a barbell you have tons of new exercises open to you. If you feel like doing some simple dumbell work- the twenty dollar set comes with dumbells.
  • Ohbutiloveicecream
    Options
    And while you're still figuring things out here's a fun "mom workout" to get you started (deadlift your kids etc. )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Xtsgw_T3U
    :smile:
  • Ohbutiloveicecream
    Options
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    And while you're still figuring things out here's a fun "mom workout" to get you started (deadlift your kids etc. )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Xtsgw_T3U
    :smile:

That is so awesome. I have a very excited 35lb weight just bouncing up and down to be my weight.

Then this weekend I will get to walmart and check out some weights.

Thanks!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I make my boys-one at a time-get on my shoulders and do squats-they love it!

Check out Craigslist for weights and all that.