Week 8 is freaking me out!

Options
Laura_Ivy
Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
I just can't get past the mental mind f I keep doing to myself. I have gotten this far and refuse to give up but my head keeps telling me there is no way I can run so long a duration. I need a swift kick in the *kitten*,please?! Or words of encouragement will do too,I guess. ;) Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I have any great advice, but I do think that a big part of breaking through mental barriers is just learning to get out of your own way. I try not to think about upcoming workouts because I don't want to built them up in anticipation. I would just lace up my shoes then look at what the program told me to do that day. Admittedly, that's tougher the last couple of weeks of the program because it's the same run 3 times per week.

A lot depends on your own personality. I know that when I coach kids (high school), there are some people I can say "Just try it and you can stop if it's too hard" and I know that once they get going they'll realize it's not as bad as they were expecting so they don't stop. On the other hand, say the same thing to some people and they'll see it as an excuse to bail out at the first sign of difficulty.

Oh, and I listen to audiobooks while I run. Unlike music, an audiobook forces me to actually pay attention to what I'm hearing (instead of just having it as background noise) and that makes the time go faster. Sometimes I'll even extend my cool-down period and keep walking around if I'm really caught up in the book.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    It IS mental! I actually get knots in my stomach thinking about it, so I try not to, lol. Just get out there, put on some tunes, and clear your mind. I've done 2 days of week 8, and was able to complete both runs, so I KNOW you can do it too!
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just can't get past the mental mind f I keep doing to myself. I have gotten this far and refuse to give up but my head keeps telling me there is no way I can run so long a duration. I need a swift kick in the *kitten*,please?! Or words of encouragement will do too,I guess. ;) Thanks in advance!

You can do it & you will...it does not matter at what speed you go at it, slow it down a touch to ensure you do the time. Make sure you are well rested, fed & watered well before you start, lose yourself in some music as you go and have confidence in yourself.
    Think back to the early weeks - 1 or 2, did you think you would be able to run 25 minutes non-stop? I sure as hell didn't think I could and I'm now on Week1 of B210K.
    Just go easy and if you start to get pain then ease off. Use something like runkeeper or endomondo to see what distance you are doing to see how far off a 5k you are currently managing, you will see how close you are to graduating.
    Good luck & most of all stay healthy!
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way....what's the worst thing that can happen? You're not able to complete it. No big deal, you try again until you do. My guess is since you've made it this far you'll be able to do it no problem.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Well thanks for the words of encouragement but I'm really surprised none of you went with the kick in the *kitten*!! :laugh: I think writing this post helped me out because I got up and did week 8! Onto Day 2 friends :)

Thanks for caring! :heart: :flowerforyou:

edited: for horrible spelling!