GM Cabbage Soup Diet

Options
So, this is a long story. I am in a weight loss contest. I have lost about 36 lbs since I started. There are a couple of ladies in the contest that really aren't doing anything to lose. They aren't gaining, but they aren't losing either. THye are constantly looking for the quick fix or miracle pill to lose weight fast, but don't want to put the hard work it truly takes in counting the calories, stay in the limits and exercise.

They came up with the GM Cabbage Soup Diet plan. The plan basically is all the soup you want (Cabbage, Celery bunch, 6 onions, 2 green peppers, 6 tomatoes, lipton soup mix) then the following
day 1. all the fruit except bananas that you can eat. especially watermelon and cantaloupe
day 2. all the veggies you can eat. start the day with 1 med potato with a little butter
day 3. all the fruit and veggies you can eat, no potato no bananas
day 4. only bananas (up to 8) 3 servings of skim milk
day 5. up to 20 oz of lean beef and 6 tomatoes. drink more water
day 6 all the lean beef you want and veggies you want. no tomatoes
day 7 whole grain rice and all the veggies you want.

The claim is that one can lose 10-17 lbs. in the week and that you can do this as often as you want. It has no information about exercise or long term maintenance.

I decided to do this to show them that it is not possible...I have lost most of my weight already and I exercise daily so I thought if I can prove to them that there is no quick fix, they might give up the idea that this is the miracle diet...

My mom did this all the time in the 1980's when I was a kid..did yours? she would start and lose quickly then the 2nd week less and the 3rd week nothing and then she would give up, gain all the weight back and a few months later, she would do it again, forgetting that it didn't work.

Thing is, as I am tracking the calories, eating til past full all the soup and allowed items for the day, I am not even getting close to 800 calories. Day 1-3 I was full to the top all day and never hit even 700. and I even included avocado as a veggie. Day 4 I ended up eating only 3 bowls of soup, 4 bananas and 3 cups of milk...I was too full for more. Day 5 was like a feast but very boring...I made London Broil in the pressure cooker the night before (that was killer to smell since I couldn't eat it!) and I shred it and put 3 oz in baggies. Then set it asside for the next day...you can't even imagine how much 20 oz of beef is! The next day I ate it put it in a skillet with a diced tomato and some garlic salt and really liked it for breakfast. Lunch it was a little boring and the dinner portion was killer. too boring! I also had the soup of course...I was too full and too bored. Day 6 was better bc there was more variety of veggies. Still, on day 5 and 6 I didn't get anywhere close to eating 20 oz of beef...I was way too full. Day seven was fine too bc rice is yummy and the variety of veggies out there is incredible.

Now for energy...I felt fine even exercising a couple times a day up until day 5...I don't know if it was the full tummy of beef trying to be digested or what, but it was a horrible exercise day and I ended up in bed at 940 pm instead of my regular 1145 bedtime.

Thing is, I understand this is a clean out diet but I have not really been cleaned out! I know, too much information.

My goal is to prove to these ladies that there is not miracle diet. We can only change our lifestyle to succeed...even if they, being much larger were able to lose 10 lbs, (or 17) it still wouldn't fix the problem...

What are your thoughts?

BTW I started day 1 at
day 1. 170
day 3. 168
day 4 166.5
day 6 164
day 7 163

So 7 lbs but not enough calories on any of the 7 days...

Replies

• gibbysrose
    Options
    Ewww....this sounds horrible! You really need to have a good balance preferably everyday! I strongly believe in veggies and fruit, lean protein, and seeds/nuts. Your body needs a certain level of fat to be healthy; having a no-fat diet is no good. Also, you need protein. This "diet" doesn't really make sense to me. It's really a lack of a diet, and it seems like starvation, which will not get long term results.

If you don't mind, if you could reply in about a week, I'm curious if after this experiment you quickly gain this amount of weight back?

*Self-dislcaimer- I'm not the best eater in the world, and need to take more of my own advice.*
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This would be a short term weight loss diet. Of course it will work but without added protein and exercise you will "clean" yourself out and then lose muscle mass and lower your metabolism.
    Now - if someone understands all of this (adds protein to the diet) and chooses to do this to jump start a weight loss plan or get down a size for a special night - whatever- but it will not work long term :(
    I would be interested in how you do too but would suggest that you add chicken to the soup :happy: