What's in your drinks?

Options
Besides water, what do you drink while training and racing? I know some of you love NUUN. What are the pros of NUUN over similar products? What else (besides basic Gatorade and Powerade) do you drink? And what are some products that are formulated more for energy than hydration that you use? What are the pros & cons?

Replies

• rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Never used NUUN so can't give any opinion there.

It honestly all depends on the length of the race or ride.
    A sprint tri - I will hydrate a bit before the race w/ some Heed then just have water on my bike (one bottle between my bars) and a small hand water bottle on the run.

Anything more than this - I usually have a few gels w/ me plus....

For med rides (say 20 - 40miles) I will have 1 water and another mixed w/ Perpetuem(hammer product) I really like that stuff.
    (same w/ an Olympic race)

For long rides - (40 - 110) I usually add 2 more holders to the back of my seat. The main bottle (between the bars) is water, 2 in the back are Perpetuem mix then the last one (ok this will sound wacked) is a mix of YooHoo and Protein powder.
    May sound gross, but for whatever reason It really works for me and never had any GI issues at all.
    During my 1/2 Iron last year after 40 miles of cold wind and drizzle we made a turn to finally get a tail wind, I broke out that bottle and a PB&J I had in my jacket and had a buffet on my aero bars. I was in heaven. But man - it helped me so much - that chocolaty goodness gave me that push I needed.

I actually got that YooHoo tip from someone in my group ride. One of those insane rider guys, used to race the BIG races. I thought he was full of **** when told me, but then he actually had it on his bike and let me try it. I figured what the hell. The key was to get one of the bigger water bottles, add 1 yoohoo, 1 scoop of powder and the rest w/ water.

I have tried a bunch of other drinks - but always seem to run into GI issues. Hammer products for whatever reason really work well for me.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I mix my own a 2:1 ratio of maltodextrin and fructose with a bit of lime juice for flavour and electrolytes. But honestly speaking I'm lucky that I can tolerate solids, protein and even savory stuff quite easy on the bike so I get my long ride calories mainly from bars, banana's and even a sandwich sometimes.
  • ironholgs
    ironholgs Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I tend to find out what my A race will be giving out at feed stations and start to train with that months in advance to get my stomach used to it.

Using High 5 here at the moment, think that's just UK based but have used powerbar, SIS, Gu, hammer, nuun etc... in the past - all pretty much the same apart from taste.
    I'm not quick enough to notice a performance impact sorry.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Infinit. Best stuff I've used.
  • jjjohnson31
    jjjohnson31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    a mix of YooHoo and Protein powder.

I love YooHoo but never thought about adding protein powder...excellent suggestion that I have to try.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I use Hammer Perpteum for race day or crazy brick training day for 1/2 Iron Man. Mostly I just use water though

I normally stick to water. Nuun tabs for running. I stick in LARA bars, jolly ranchers, Justins peanut butter packets on my bike.
  • jkrobertson1998
    jkrobertson1998 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Anything with maltodextrin in it gives my stomach fits... Any suggestions
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Big fan of Nuun, especially in the days leading up to a race.

During longer races when I need more cals I like Heed and Accelerade. Heed is similar to Gatorade, though not nearly as sweet, and seems to last longer than Gatorade. Accelerade has protein in it in addition to all the other good stuff, which makes it a bit harder to digest (i.e. harder on my stomach during intense work), but I do see better performance over longer times with it.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Word of caution on NUUN. They use a sweetener, Sorbitol, that is a diuretic. Odd choice for a hydration product. I've moved to just using Ironman Perform since it's going to be what's given to me on course anyway. Might as well get used to it.