Living Large: Eating in for 1 or eating out with friends

Options
I have been wondering how to balance my social life, work commitments, and fun adventures amongst a long-held desire to be healthy and active. When living alone, I find that I often struggle to eat "well" at home in that my portions tend to be biggie-sized and I waste food by letting it go bad in my fridge. Let me make that last point more clear- the cheese, bread, and ice cream never go bad, the broccoli and lettuce do!

It is expensive to buy healthy foods for one when living in a large city, such as Tokyo, and equally hard to come home from work and not dive into something unhealthy. So, when one gets into the habit of going out to eat with friends instead of staying home and "being good" it is hard to back track and even harder to undo what those unhealthy routines have done to your body. What perpetuates the cycle is that it is more fun to have a fun dinner with friends than a solo dinner with my internet-streamed episode of Project Runway or House.

Anyone else experience this? Suggestions? Feedback? Support!

Replies

• nevaeh1984
    Options
    Hey,

I almost always eat at home, I've found eating out is NOT compatible with my diet!
    While I don't live alone, my DH doesn't always appreciate my healthy meals :x I've started freezing some of the veggies I buy and I take a bento box to work with leftovers from the night before.

In terms of food prices... Have you considered ordering online? Many people use rakuten to order their veggies from the south since the nuclear incident. Personally I am super blessed to live close to loads of SUPER CHEAP veggie shops and Hanamasa :D
  • aurora15
    aurora15 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I am new to this group and I also stay in Japan alone. It's easy to eat out and socialize and end up eatin way more than you need here. What I do is ...

- make cooking dates with friends! it can be tiring to go out so often ...
    - make smarter choices when eatin out. For example, removing that skin off the karaage, scraping off some mayo or ordering less! It's a choice you can make for yourself

Own meals.. I go to the store every few days and get fruits, Vegs, meat and stuff. I cook once a week like curry risotto and put them into small containers and freeze them. Before going to bed i take them out and let it thaw slowly . Microwave at work and I throw a fruit and snack on my bag when I run out in the morning
    I also cook fast and simple meals when I can:) just takes a bit of planning and thinking and once you get the rhythm you are good!

Hope this helps :)