Scared of Food?

Options
Am I the only one scared of food?

I think that is part of the reason I binge. I am scared of certain foods because I know they could lead to weight gain. I avoid them at all cost, then if they happen to come across my path, I have a "taste" and it's like my brain leaves my body and I just start shoving food into my mouth.

I am scared to eat certain foods in front of people because I am afraid I won't be able to control myself.

I really wish I could eat something like cake in front of friends and be satisfied with one piece. To me, it's either no cake, or the whole entire cake!

Does anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    You're not alone Abigail. I can totally relate and it is very frustrating. Evening (after dinner and on) is my worst time and there have been many nights that I come home late and super hungry for dinner and am afraid to eat because I feel like once I start I will not be able to stop so I better not even eat normal dinner food. Even though I don't have any trigger foods in the house specifically, it doesn't seem to matter because I will just binge on normal food. Whole grain cereal, fresh & dried fruit, nuts, protein bars, cheese, greek yogurt, pretzels...Sometimes I'm afraid to go grocery shopping because I feel like I shouldn't even have any of those normal foods in the house. It's tough. Some days I'm totally fine being around food and other days I feel like I should have a bolted door on my kitchen. I also have woken up after a night of bingeing afraid to eat because I feel like the behavior will just continue. I have to keep reminding myself that the food is not the issue. I'm not going to binge because I ate breakfast like a normal person would. A binge is because of underlying emotions that I don't want to feel.
  • b3kah5
    b3kah5 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am scared of food. I have spent so long binging that now when I feel I have some control I am afraid of losing it. I feel it's either feast or famine. I feel so bad when I eat too much that I have been going in the opposite direction. It's a vicious cycle and the deprivation is not helping the weight loss at all. I have stopped eating flour, sugar, sugar free soda which has helped with the cravings but then I will OD on peanut butter. I know deep down it is an emotional issue that I am probably avoiding. But yes, I feel afraid to eat.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,901 Member
    Options
    Good topic. I was just going to post something along the same lines. My issue is that I feel like once I start in the evening, I just do not stop! What;s up with that. Yeah, sometimes I eat what's planned and since I am still hungry, I start shopping around for more "stuff", but other times, I am not hungry but I just WANT to keep eating.

So.... I have now become a "CALORIE HOARDER". This too is an issue. I am afraid to eat more calories during the day because I want to save them up for later when I lose control. I am doing better - eating breakfast and lunch and snacks, but I still keep an eye on that bottom line. "Do I still have enough left that I could eat dinner and then have a pint of ice cream too?"

And that's not really that good for you either. I really think we do better on an evener amount of calories throughout the day, but damn if I can make myself eat a lot more breakfast or lunch.... I know I also sleep better and wake up feeling better if I stop eating a couple of hours before bedtime.

next....!
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Completely understand. I've almost gotten to the point of avoiding social things with food and often opt for a plain salad and tea when I go out to restaurants..I just need to have the control and know how everything's prepared! I live with one roommate and for the most part we severely limit any junk food in the house..I have no idea how I'd do it otherwise. but that's not to say that I don't overdo it on oatmeal and snacks! I cannot have PB around or I'll lose it..that is my goal one day to portion it out and be normal.

I have that exact same "all or nothing" mentality..and am working on eating around other people. I hate this, but these past few weeks have been so much better. I plan one sweet treat every night that takes a LONG time to eat (often eating a lot less during the day to have room..which, like above, isn't the best choice). I choose dark choc raisins and eat them one by one. Knowing that I have that to look forward to keeps me in control for the most part. Eventually I'll be able to enjoy one cupcake without wanting 12 more! We're in this together. We don't need to be perfect, just need to make steps in the right direction :smile:
  • wiscyproblems
    Options
    It seems that peanut butter is a lot of people's vice! Have any of you guys tried PB2? It's peanut butter that has most of the fat calories removed and comes in a powdered form. You add water to it and it tastes like and has the same consistency as full fat peanut butter minus most of the calories and fat. I believe a serving of two tablespoons of it has about 45 calories, thus you can indulge without blowing your calorie goal for the day. I love it but it's a little bit expensive so I try not to eat too much of it.
  • jenna_laurelle
    jenna_laurelle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    its the entire cake.

I think alot like you, now that ive read a bunch of your posts. I work out 4-6 times a week (usually after work to keep me busy and out of the kitchen), i eat encredibly healthy vegetarian diet. Then, after dinner, it hits... i want sugar, chocolate, bread, cereal! at least when i binge on junk its organic and SOMEWHAT of a healthy choice. But the calories add up so fast that it backfires.

Im scared of unhealthy food. i refuse to eat take out, macdonalds, dairy queen, etc. i dont want to start eating it again cause its so addictive! Even when i bake, and i LOVE to bake, im always on the hunt for HEALTHY recipes...but again when you eat the whole recipe over two evenings, BACK FIRE!

I lost 25 pounds 2 years ago, it took my 2 years to do. in the past 6 months ive gained back 15, ever since i moved to a new city. My social life is alot less busy and maybe i dont feel the need look good, or i dont have goals like events i want to wear something sexy too. I dont know. Ive kinda gotten off topic. but i just wanted to share that i feel the same way!
  • b3kah5
    Options
    The funny thing is I don't even like PB that much. I just seem to eat it when I am craving sweets/fat. It does have sugar(most brands) and since I quit eating sugar I trick myself into thinking PB is not a sweet.
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to keep peanut butter in my house for last 12 years or so because I will eat it right out of the jar and not be able to stop! I put on a lot of weight when I was a teenager eating PB that way.

I can totally relate to everything that's been said. Someone asked me the other day if I wanted a piece of their kitkat. I'm like, uh, no, a piece? I don't want it unless I can have ALL of it. And that will send me running for more.

I just ate lunch not too long ago and I want to keep eating. Ugh. Posting here helps me with that. At least temporarily.

Thanks for this topic and for being here!
  • astraea82
    astraea82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I completely agree, especially with the notion of having that "taste" in my mouth. It's like once I start, I can't stop until that taste is gone. It has me scared to eat snacks or even go past certain places with certain smells.

I just wish that I had a healthy relationship with food.
  • b3kah5
    Options
    Me too! I think your right about that taste. It's like, if I don't eat I don't have that taste and I will be OK. I do not have a healthy relationship with food and I am in this for the long run so I need to figure something out. I am not a one cookie kind of girl.(or ice cream, or candy) It really has helped to stop eating sugar but I can find lots of foods that are sweet that will set me off. I can OD on sugar free deserts too so I had to cut those out. I am so jealous of those who can eat just a tiny sliver of cake and be satisfied.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    what I really REALLY hate is when smell makes me hungry. I will be doing fine, then someone at work will make popcorn and all of a sudden my stomach is just growling away. I have learned to always refuse the offered goodies at work or if they magically appear on my desk, I discretely throw them away. LOL.
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Me too! I think your right about that taste. It's like, if I don't eat I don't have that taste and I will be OK. I do not have a healthy relationship with food and I am in this for the long run so I need to figure something out. I am not a one cookie kind of girl.(or ice cream, or candy) It really has helped to stop eating sugar but I can find lots of foods that are sweet that will set me off. I can OD on sugar free deserts too so I had to cut those out. I am so jealous of those who can eat just a tiny sliver of cake and be satisfied.

I know I don't have a healthy relationship with food either. I can binge on "healthy" food too. I do NOT understand those who can have one little sliver or one piece or one cookie either. I'm completely baffled with that because I've pretty much never been able to do that. Jealous and baffled. :huh:
  • b3kah5
    Options
    I remember one time at work, a coworker ( a very fit coworker) came back from lunch and said, " I am so full, I had two cookies." I was thinking to myself, two, just two? Is she kidding? I would have called that a success.lol. I would actually rarely eat cookies or sweets at work(I feel very self conscience eating-especially non-healthy foods in front of people). I would just insanely crave them and then go home and eat a lot more than two.
  • Abigaillee15
    Options
    I remember one time at work, a coworker ( a very fit coworker) came back from lunch and said, " I am so full, I had two cookies." I was thinking to myself, two, just two? Is she kidding? I would have called that a success.lol. I would actually rarely eat cookies or sweets at work(I feel very self conscience eating-especially non-healthy foods in front of people). I would just insanely crave them and then go home and eat a lot more than two.

Omg I know!! I hate when I'm with friends or family members with great self control. We all have that "one slice of pizza" friend who eats ONE SLICE of pizza for dinner, meanwhile I'll eat 4 (or 5. or 6...). No one wants to be the "one slice of pizza" or the "full after two cookies" friend.

Realistically, I could eat a whole box of cookies. And in fact, I believe I have done so in the past! Working on it though :)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Omg I know!! I hate when I'm with friends or family members with great self control. We all have that "one slice of pizza" friend who eats ONE SLICE of pizza for dinner, meanwhile I'll eat 4 (or 5. or 6...). No one wants to be the "one slice of pizza" or the "full after two cookies" friend.

Realistically, I could eat a whole box of cookies. And in fact, I believe I have done so in the past! Working on it though :)

*raises hand and jumps up and down* Me, me, me, I want to be that one slice of pizza friend. Puhleeeease. Pretty please. Wishful thinking I know. It would be nice to know what that satisfaction feels like.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    I am the one slice of pizza friend but honestly it takes air out of me and may lead to a binge when I have some privacy. I don't trust that the 2 cookie or one pc person isn't just another me who won't eat I public because she likes to eat in private! ;)