Cheat Meals?

Options
I've almost completed the Kick Start Week and I'm finding that everything social I do has to do with drinking or eating. I've decided to "stay in" this weekend, so I don't cheat, but how is everyone else living their lives going out with friends and such on weekends? Do you think it's ok to allow yourself to have one cheat meal and maybe a few alcoholic drinks if it's only for one night/week?

Replies

• twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Every Saturday evening, I have a splurge meal. Last weekend was sushi. Somehow I managed to stay under my calories without even really trying.

But we usually go out for frozen yogurt with the kids on Sat evenings and I refuse to deny myself that sweet treat, also because while I really LOVE frozen yogurt, I want my kids to see that you can eat sweets in moderation.

I think if you're having a craving, eat what you're craving and get it out of your system. If you continue to deny yourself, you may end up binging in the long run, which isn't good.

Do what feels right for you!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Ditto what Twinmom said and this:
    When you're "drinking" have a glass of water or diet coke in between alcoholic drinks to s-t-r-e-t-c-h things out.
    And drink a TON of water the next day.

MANAGE your eating and DON'T beat yourself into submission about it!!

Good Luck!
  • roander
    roander Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You are only cheating yourself. You can eat anything you want, anytime you want. But if your goal is to lose weight, you will have to own up to that and make changes to compensate for what you eat. Maybe you exercise a little more that day or you eat something before you go out so you're not so hungry.

And, don't call them "Cheat Days" - it's LIFE! We're not dieting, we're improving our health by eating better food and taking care of ourselves - RIGHT?? :happy:
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've done cheat meals (not often) but have always made up for it by doing a longer workout or eating a little less the rest of the day.
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've done cheat meals (not often) but have always made up for it by doing a longer workout or eating a little less the rest of the day.

this is what i do, too. often my cheat meals are on accident, ha ha.
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. It's about accommodating your LIFE amidst these healthy changes. For me, if I want to go out to dinner with my husband, I just make the best choice for me and I record it. For me, that makes the difference of me feeling "in control" versus going down the path of "oh, heck, I'll just eat whatever I want and 'start again' tomorrow." When I was doing my prior program, P90, I did my 90 days during the hardest part of the year: Thanksgiving, Christmas holidays, New Years, my birthday, and Valentine's Day. Not only did I have enjoyable times (and "indulge"), I lost 38 lbs during that 90 days.

Essentially, it's all about the balance, being conscious and being kind to yourself in your choices. No guilt required :).
  • DawnMarieMomofTwo
    DawnMarieMomofTwo Posts: 186 Member
    Options

agreed!!
  • sdsmom
    sdsmom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Cheat meals have always been difficult for me! I weighed in yesterday and knew we were going out to dinner with friends. I didn't have any drinks because that can really send me into binge/cheat mode but I did try to eat sensibly. Unfortunately, I ate french fries which led to trying to eat my weight in chocolate (PMS) when I got home. Hoping to double up on the workouts today and am already eating back on plan. Granted I am better than my good ole weight watchers days where I would weigh in and pig out for 3 days then spend the next 4 days starving for the next weigh in. But how do you get to that point where you can have 4 french fries or once piece of chocolate without it turning into a feeding frenzy or am I just crazy??
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Cheat meals have always been difficult for me! I weighed in yesterday and knew we were going out to dinner with friends. I didn't have any drinks because that can really send me into binge/cheat mode but I did try to eat sensibly. Unfortunately, I ate french fries which led to trying to eat my weight in chocolate (PMS) when I got home. Hoping to double up on the workouts today and am already eating back on plan. Granted I am better than my good ole weight watchers days where I would weigh in and pig out for 3 days then spend the next 4 days starving for the next weigh in. But how do you get to that point where you can have 4 french fries or once piece of chocolate without it turning into a feeding frenzy or am I just crazy??

I usually steal one or two of my husband's french fries and then say I'M DONE and finish what I ordered. I love chickfila and it's not horribly terrible for you but the fries are pretty horrible... so I've started getting the salads with chicken on them and I'll eat one or two of his fries to get my fix. I try to allow my cravings into my daily calories and sometimes I feel junky after eating chocolate, so I go for a walk with my ipod and get a few extra burned calories in for the day.
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I went out with friends who pushed drinks on me and I just did what Jillian says, "Have it straight up!" Better than a 500 cal margarita, right? :) I'd rather stay in, too!
  • alexsgal
    alexsgal Posts: 35
    Options
    i have a cheat day every 6 weeks....
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I "cheat" every Friday with pizza! Butttttttttt it's homemade crust & sauce!! The crust is half white/whole wheat, so I don't feel too bad about it. Haven't had an ounce of spirits during the past 30 days and am ok with that. Although Cinco de Mayo is this Saturday and I'm going to a friend's gathering... Will probably have one drink hehehe :bigsmile:

I agree with others that this is life and to not think like it's a diet. I feel like I am changing my eating habbits for now and the future-- not just doing things for the 90 day program. (I'm eating better breakfasts and lunches!)