Moving on

Options
loribenfield
loribenfield Posts: 120 Member
So has any one else had to let go of old friends because they are not supportive and want you to fail? I have had to let several people go as they seem to want me to stay the same. I am not willing to let them stop me. I never thought this would happen but I do not need people tempting me with food. Or I have asked some of them to walk or go to the gym with me and they would not. Had all kinds of excuses. But now they are have grouped together and are trying to out do me. They have made me feel like I have done something wrong by trying to make my life better. It is not a competition for me. I just want to be healthy.

Replies

• linguist98
    Options
    SOMETIMES THE EXTRA DEAD WEIGHT WE NEED TO LOSE ISNT ATTACHED TO US... YOUR BETTER OFF WITHOUT THEM....
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Remember you are doing this for you and not for them. They don't understand or they are jealous of what you are doing and they are not. I have found that in this crazy life I live, that I will have enablers and I will have supporters of my new life. Like yourself, I am doing this for myself and my health, but not everyone understands this and they have a tendency to say oh one won't hurt, but yes it will. I started before my surgery to surround myself with lots of supportive people.
    I am now able to ignore the ones who would do anything to sideline me.
    Never forget what you are doing is important and this is for you.
    Way to go on starting your new life.
  • loribenfield
    Options
    Thanks, both of you. :wink:
  • TL0105
    TL0105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    In life you will meet two kinds of people. Ones who build you up, and ones who tear you down. But in the end, you will thank them both....
    Hi All~I just had RNY 5 days ago and am looking for some friends to for my journey...any one available?
    Thanks~Tricia
  • beckybernardo
    beckybernardo Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It has been that my experience with someone like that, that is one of the reasons that it has kept me on track is to prove to them that I can, and if it makes them mad, then oh well. It is especially upsetting when someone makes a "fat" joke about you, when they are just as big...
    Dont worry about those who are not supportive and find the ones who are...you are doing what is best for you
  • kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You guys are great!!! It's good to others are going thru the same things! I had a 'friend' join in a conversation as other friends were commenting on how great I looked, she says, "well, I never saw how fat you were, you were just my friend.' It was said in a real back handed way. I too am learning there are those who are very comfortable with me being the 'fat friend,' and as I'm changing our relationships are too.
    hugs,
    Lisa
  • loribenfield
    Options
    You all a great! There is nothing better than having friends who understand. :happy:
  • linguist98
    Options
    In life you will meet two kinds of people. Ones who build you up, and ones who tear you down. But in the end, you will thank them both....
    Hi All~I just had RNY 5 days ago and am looking for some friends to for my journey...any one available?
    Thanks~Tricia

FEEL FREE TO ADD ME HAD MINE NOV 16 2012
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have only had one very dear friend make negative comments. She thinks I am "too skinny" and wants me to gain the weight back. She is also concerned about me using Splenda or any other artificial sweetener. She thinks her sister contracted a very agressive cancer from drinking too many diet sodas, which caused her death about 18 months ago. I have explained to her that I don't consume as much Splenda as there is in sodas, I don't drink any sodas, and the doctor never determined that was what caused her sister's cancer. I explained to her that I am healthy, strong, under a doctor and dietician''s care, and my blood gets checked routinely. I also explained to her that while I am not going to go back to my former life style, I understand her concerns and love her very much for wanting what she thinks is the best for me.