Wedding Day Date-when are you getting hitched?

Options
When is your wedding date?

My guy and I finally decided last week on January 26, 2013.

It gives me a long time span to get in shape and lose weight, but I'm already stressing about wedding dress shopping.

My friends (already married) have told me I should be looking at dresses *right now*.

I don't like the way I look in jeans.

Why do I want to dislike what I look like in a wedding dress until I'm *ready*?

Replies

• mrsrice86
    mrsrice86 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married 22nd June 2013, and i already have my dress!

I'm not hapy with the way i look, but when i tried the dress on it looked amazing! (even if i do say so myself lol)
    And i have room to lose weight, but not gain, so thats motivated me too!

Maybe go try some on and see how you feel. I'm sure you will look and feel great :)
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Our wedding is November 17, 2012.

We got engaged April of last year so it's been a long engagement.. It's been nice because we are paying for everything and this way we can make sure we have enough money saved.. it's also given me lots of time to trim down! Like I said, I got engaged in April and I didn't start dress shopping until September. I FELL IN LOVE with a dress but I KNEW that I would have to make some changes in myself if I was going to rock it out the way I want (it's a mermaid style and quite fitted) I haven't actually purchased it YET because I keep going back to try it on to make sure I like the way I'm looking in it. I plan on ordering it on March 8 since the store is having a "girls night" and I'll be saving 20%!

I think it depends on the designer, store, etc. as to when you *have* to buy it by. My store has all sizes in stock 2-20 so I've been lucky in that I've been able to try it on in different sizes.. rightnow my problem is the length of the dress! I might have to order a few sizes bigger just because I'm so tall... I was trying to avoid alterations costs at all costs LOL

If the store tells you they need 6-8 months to order it, I would get it ASAP.. Try to envision yourself at your goal because if you get the dress I can tell you there is no greater motivation!!!!! but remember, it can always be taken it easily, it's a pain to take out (per the seamstresses I know!!)

good luck, it's so fun even if you're not comfortable in your own skin. Wedding gowns are SO beautiful, it's impossible not to feel that way with one on!!
  • Jillian1104
    Jillian1104 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    We're getting married on September 22, 2012.

I didnt start looking at dresses until the beginning of January (8 months before my wedding), so don't stress, you have some time!
  • jap6955
    jap6955 Posts: 12
    Options
    We got engaged Jan 27, 2012. I ordered my dress Feb 26, 2012. We are getting married Aug 18, 2012. I think you have plenty of time. The shop said it takes 4 months for the dress to arrive.
  • s0xfan24
    s0xfan24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    We are getting married July 7, 2012. Yeah! I can't wait!
  • slstayer
    slstayer Posts: 2
    Options
    I am getting married on May 5th (just 2 months!!). I found a dress I liked and was ready to order it this past November, but it was not going to be delivered until April 30th. I would recommend to order your dress AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! I ended up having to choose another dress that still won't be here until the beginning of April. Luckily it is a corset so I'm not worried about the fit issue, it will just need to be hemmed.
  • mattiol4
    mattiol4 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    We are getting married December 21st, 2012!! We are so excited!! We got engaged last July.

I bought my dress last weekend! :)

Congrats to all of you :)
  • purplep41n
    purplep41n Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm getting married on 08/09/12, its going to be a double wedding and luckily the dresses I like are from curvety.com so I'm being realistic that although I'm going to try hard to lose weight for my wedding day, I can't assume I will lol - very pessimistic view but it gives me less stress :)
  • missquela
    missquela Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Marrying my honey July 13, 2013 :)
  • doobie217
    Options
    Our wedding is May 4th, 2013. I am thinking about going to try on dresses now, thinking it might really kick me into high gear when I see how I look now compared to how I want to look. I have 13 months so I know I could realistically drop a considerable amount of weight...if I put my mind to it!

20121888.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • lalamich
    lalamich Posts: 1
    Options
    My wedding is May 5th- 32 days away! In Costa freaking Rica! I ordered my dress in November '12, but I'm not beginning alterations until mid-April. I'm hoping to shed just a few lbs by the wedding day, and I figured it's best to hold off on the alterations. When I ordered it I was between sizes, so we went with the larger size. It was the right thing to do. You can always alter down, but you can't always alter up.
  • widetobride
    widetobride Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, congratulations to u all on your engagements. I am getting married 29th May 2013, in Croatia. I bought a uk size 12 dress, which I thought fitted me, but the lady in the shop says it is too small. I aim to lose 30lb in total. I think a pound a week is fair enough. I was advised to order the dress 9 months before, as Maggie Sottero ask u to give them a few months to make it. I am also more likely to lose weight if I know the dress is too small! If I bought it nearer the date, or in 14, I would never lose any! I also went to my cousin's wedding on Monday, and his wife was a size 6, and I felt like the Honey Monster when I stood next to her! And I hate Sugar Puffs!!
    I am jogging again daily. I am slow but steady. I am trying to keep within the calories, but find it really hard. I also started 30 Day Shred, but I work shifts, so find it hard to do daily. I have to walk my dogs every morning, so the jogging is easy to fit in.

Anyway, best of luck to you all. Our husbands will be very lucky men!!

Love Ange x
  • dawnstrassburg
    Options
    August 11, 2012, its coming up so quickly! As far as the dress it depends on where you get it, from a small boutique you may need to order it 6 to 8 months in advance but someplace like Davids Bridal you can get one right off the rack and have it altered later. My fiancee proposed to me August 1, 2011 and August 3 I was at Davids, not to buy but just "getting a idea of what I liked" the woman cajoled me into trying on a dress that she thought would look great but i hated on the hanger. I put it on and actually shed a few tears. I bought it a week later and its been in my closet since...I will start alterations in May, and they can alter up to 6 sizes down...my dress is a size 14 and I am now a 12/10 so I dont have any worries. Long story short: wait as long as you want to try dresses on - just make sure you are comfortable in it and like the way it looks
  • larffy
    larffy Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm getting married March 16, 2013. I am also holding out on dress shopping because of my weight and I'm feeling enormous pressure to start looking as soon as possible.

My concern is, how can I even like a dress if I don't feel good when I look in the mirror?
  • ilikepandasyay
    ilikepandasyay Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    June 29th, 2013 here.

I have two dresses off the rack, they didn't have the right size for me in store, so I guesstimated... I was pretty off and there's no returns D: So I guess that's just more incentive for me to loose the weight!
  • lawmama_
    lawmama_ Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    november 3 2012!
    i tried on dresses when i was at my start weight. i was so depressed with how the dresses looked on me. it was at that point that i vowed to change my eating habits and to start exercising. i also promised myself not to go shopping until i lost weight. i lost 10 lbs and that gave me a lot of confidence to go dress browsing again. i bought a dress! but now i've lost a total of 20 lbs the dress i bought is too BIG!
  • elypereira
    elypereira Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We haven't picked a day yet because we want to make sure that everything's financially ready before we set one! Although, I believe it's going to be within the next year or so, which gives me time to lose this disgusting weight! LOL. I've lost and gained the same 10 pounds last month.. it sucks :( LOL.
  • hmgrady92
    hmgrady92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. My wedding date is October 13, 2013, so I know I have some time before I need to decide on a dress, but I went shopping anyway. Although it was fun to try on dresses, I didn't particularly like the way that I looked and am now determined to change my body. It's hard work, but you'll get there. Just don't wait too long, otherwise you'll have to get something right off the rack (most places recommend you order 8-10 months before). But also keep in mind that if you do buy a dress now, it can always be tailored to fit you perfectly. :)
  • katey_my_lady
    katey_my_lady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My baby and I are getting married April 20, 2013! I already bought my dress, knowing that if I lose more weight they'll be able to take it in. I'm more concerned with getting toned up than getting much smaller. Have to have rockin' arms for the sleeveless dress!
  • ilikepandasyay
    ilikepandasyay Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My baby and I are getting married April 20, 2013! I already bought my dress, knowing that if I lose more weight they'll be able to take it in. I'm more concerned with getting toned up than getting much smaller. Have to have rockin' arms for the sleeveless dress!

I'm pretty much the same way. I want to lose some weight all over, but the dresses are big enough that they hide most of my bottom half :P Jsut need toned arms and a smaller top!