What's the Difference??

Options
ElementalMoe
ElementalMoe Posts: 186 Member
Between Primal and Paleo? I did a Google search to discover, and couldn't really find anything on the topic. . . Admittedly ignorant. :)

Replies

• Mikaylarae27
    Mikaylarae27 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    There is no difference in diet. Just a difference in name. Mark Sisson coined the term "Primal" but he is refering to how people ate in paleolitic times (i.e. paleo)
  • digitalalchemy
    digitalalchemy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Dairy, that's about it. Mark Sisson (Primal) is more liberal with dairy. However, Robb Wolf (paleo) has mentioned that if you don't have a problem with dairy, then use it. Just take it out of your diet for 30 days, add it back in, and see what it does to you.

I didn't think I had a problem with dairy until I really made a concerted effort to take it out of my diet. After a week, I added it back in and my asthma kicked in and I found it harder to lean out. A lot of people find it causes acne, too.
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ok, this has been bothering me. I have wanted to be hardcore Paleo really bad for a while now but I can't shake my greek yogurt. This is really the only dairy that does not bother me. I like it (and psychologically need) because:

1) It's got protien
    2) Soluble calcium
    3) as much fat as I choose
    4) as much sugar as I choose (making it varying degrees of Paleo)
    5) I simply CANNOT cook 3 meals a day. Even in bulk.
    6) It refrigerates well.
    7) Is not exorbinately expensive
    8) Quick to eat
    9) Easy to travel
    10) Widely available

So is it possible to call myself Paleo and still be greek??
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    There is a sticky at the top where there are some good articles...

you can almost use them interchangebly now but for me

Primal = Dairy
    Paleo = No dairy

When I did my strict 30 day - no diary, no sweet potatoes and a few other little things that are considered paleo I wasn't planning on eating anyway. And everything "should" be as non processed as you can get it with as few additional ingrediants - so for example Bacon...50 different vararities out there - but I had to look for one with no sugar or nitrates added...(or spend $10 a lb for farm bacon....)

I don't think it is the over all be all end all if you have dairy and call yourself Paleo...to me it is a realm of eating style...one where the basic premis is the exclusion of grains, beans, legumes...

I get more perturbed when people say they eat paleo and then add in "Oh I only eat bread and pasta a few times a week" - ummm then you are eating clean - not really eating Primal/Paleo - back before I totally dropped out grains i referred to the way i ate as clean with a Paleo slant....
  • fcbryant75
    fcbryant75 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ok, this has been bothering me. I have wanted to be hardcore Paleo really bad for a while now but I can't shake my greek yogurt. This is really the only dairy that does not bother me. I like it (and psychologically need) because:

1) It's got protien
    2) Soluble calcium
    6) It refrigerates well.
    8) Quick to eat
    9) Easy to travel
    10) Widely available

I eat full fat PLAIN Greek Yogurt fairly regularly (adding a few berries in helps add a little sweetness if you need/want it). I'm not trying to stick to one particular "diet"; I cut all grains, legumes, sugar, and processed foods out and kept them out of my diet but have gradually added back some reasonable dairy and I personally tolerate it well in moderation. But like others have said, you might benefit from cutting it out for a while and then adding it back to be sure you aren't having any adverse effects from it.
  • SarahSwimmer
    Options
    thanks twinmom and fcbryant. Do you have suggestions for a Paleo "filler food" that keeps well and can be eaten en leu of a meal?
  • crossfitterwahine
    crossfitterwahine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, Paleo folks choose leaner meats and go easy on the fats. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Primal is about grass-fed, pastured, etc., and go for the fattier cuts like the chicken thighs, rib-eyes, bacon, etc . No need to fear saturated fat with Primal.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options

1) It's got protien
    2) Soluble calcium
    6) It refrigerates well.
    8) Quick to eat
    9) Easy to travel
    10) Widely available

You can call yourself whatever you want. ;)

As someone in this thread pointed out, even Robb hasn't completely disallowed dairy. Use what you feel comfortable with, just:

- don't go overboard
    - try to get it from grass-fed sources (organic is still generally grain-fed; even 'pastured' cows are usually grain-finished)
    - consider using goat and sheep milk products instead of cow

Goats and sheep are not adapted to feedlots, they are naturally pastured, even if they are not organic. Both goat and sheep dairy are more easily digestible than cow dairy. Goat yogurt is similar consistency as greek yogurt, but it is milder - more like sour cream than yogurt.
  • cathyL11
    cathyL11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that Mark Sisson's use of primal refers to occasional use of small amounts of dairy products like butter and some cheese but otherwise I don't believe there is a whole lot of difference. Some people prefer to use the terms primal or ancestral diet to Paleo because of the neanderthal caveman image that Paleo seems to bring up.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    thanks twinmom and fcbryant. Do you have suggestions for a Paleo "filler food" that keeps well and can be eaten en leu of a meal?

You can easily mish mash stuff together and call it a meal. I have had hard boiled eggs, jerky and red pepper strips as a meal. I just ate a pink lady apple with a tablespoon of almond butter for my lunch since I am going to be at the ball field all afternoon - planning on taking a bag of jerky and pecans to snack on if need be.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    A filler food i love is fresh berries and coconut milk. I find the Taste of Thai brand to be thick and delicious...even a little thicker than heavy whipping cream. I try to look for the organic, but not the lower fat. Coconut fat has many benefits and I love the taste
  • SarahSwimmer
    Options
    Thanks Twinmom and MissyyClaire. I'll be on the look out for almond butter and full-fat coconut milk; I think our local health food store has them.

Monkeydharma and Twinmom: as usual you've helped clarify some of the finer parts of Primal/Paleo for me and I really appreciate that.

Thanks in general to this group of people. You don't know what an impact this info has had on my diet and health.
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Goats and sheep are not adapted to feedlots, they are naturally pastured, even if they are not organic. Both goat and sheep dairy are more easily digestible than cow dairy. Goat yogurt is similar consistency as greek yogurt, but it is milder - more like sour cream than yogurt.

Great advice, I think I shall take it! Just a pain finding the stuff, I end up at an expensive deli quite often. Will try the farmers' market today.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, Paleo folks choose leaner meats and go easy on the fats. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Primal is about grass-fed, pastured, etc., and go for the fattier cuts like the chicken thighs, rib-eyes, bacon, etc . No need to fear saturated fat with Primal.

You are correct. That and Primal allows dairy, whereas Paleo does not.

The premise is the same, with little variations. Primal allows dairy if your body can handle it. If it can't (i.e. GI issues with dairy) then it's perfectly Primal to avoid it. Primal is more about eating toxin free, grain free foods that your body accepts. Eat fat, eat protein, eat as many veggies as you want. It's perfect for me. :)