Tall guys?

Options
monala09
monala09 Posts: 56 Member
So this is a RANDOM topic..but i was wondering if any single women had the same problem. I am 21. Never been in a real relationship. I can blame it on that the guys around here are ridiculous (which is true) or that they are all short (which is also true) or that all the TALL guys go for the shortest girls?! Why is this, ladies? I have somewhat came to the conclusion that they are just intimidated....ugh i dont know, but its annoying and it makes my low self esteem go even lower.
I approached this really tall, nice looking guy in a bar a few weeks ago..and maybe the alcohol was talking for me..but he seem interested and got my number. Still havent heard a thing for him. Sometimes i think its either my height that scares them or my weight. I KNOW THATS HORRIBLE! But its just what goes through my brain..lol

Replies

• mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and I've never had a really tall boyfriend come to think of it, only one has been and I asked him out! You've got me thinking, in my years of dating, I've never had a super tall boyfriend. I think it's just something random though.

Although my boyfriend once "joked" that he liked a girl with small hands so his trumpet looked big. I think this was partly true.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've only dated one really tall guy. Most guys I've dated are around my height.

I've only had a few problems with guys who wanted me to wear flats or "slouch" (not!)

Would I rather date a guy taller/bigger than me? Yes. But, who we end up attracted to mind, body and spirit isn't always what we expect.
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've spent a lot of time in years gone past worrying why some guy didn't bother to call and imagining that it must be something wrong with me but on occasion I have found out that it's been something completely random and nothing to do with me - some guys lose numbers / phones; some guys have girlfriends/wives they hadn't fessed up about and had no intention of ever calling; some were drunks who had the number but couldn't remember the girl; some didn't have room for a relationship in their busy lives and some were genuinely just not interested. You never know the reason so it's best not to waste energy on it and instead just get out and have fun :)
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I notice a lot of tall guys like their girls petite.

I'm 5'9 and would like a guy who's at least 6ft. I usually see average height guys with tall girls vs tall guys with tall girls.
  • lauralye82
    lauralye82 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way you do and have had the same reactions and negative thoughts when guys didn't call or remain interested, etc. I don't have any words of wisdom or awesome advice for you but just wanted to reach out and let you know you aren't the only one :-)
    ps- I'm 29 and have rarely dated guys taller than me, not because I don't want to, but just because it never works out that way.....
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate in that I'm only (LOL) 5'9". My ex-husband was 6'3" which was perfect, because all my heels are 3 1/2" inches so he was still taller than me. I haven't dated since my divorce (3 1/2 years ago) due to major self-esteem issues related to my weight, but once I lose it and start dating I will really try to only date guys 6' or taller. I HATE being taller than a date, even if I am in heels.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for myself 5'9" and married hubby is 6'2" But I've noticed a trend in my sons 6'1" and 6'3" and it appears they are more attracted to girls that are really short 5'3" and under. I once asked my son how come he wont date a girl my height and he said it made him feel inferior to have a girl his height. I guess it is a man thing or insecurity thing most likely.
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've always dated guys who are my height or just an inch or two taller, just because it's worked out that way. I have this one friend who was crazy about me-- sweet and funny guy, but he was about a foot shorter than me... call me shallow but that made him seem much less attractive, and I know myself well enough to realize if the chemistry ain't there, it won't work : / I'm fine with guys who are close to my height, but would I prefer a really tall guy who could pick me up and had to lean down to kiss me? Hell yeah. But as others have said, it seems they always prefer the tiny girls... ::shakes fist::
  • kelzpop
    kelzpop Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was there, so I'll share my experience. I never had much luck dating, I went for years and had very few dates. The ones I did have sucked horribly, would cancel at the last minute, were just plain idiots or whatnot. I definitely wanted a guy who was taller than me, matter of fact, I had a list of ideal traits for a candidate. When I actually met the right guy, all of those ideas I had melted away. We are the same height and if I wear heels I am definitely taller than him, it doesn't bother either of us.
    From my experience most guys in their early 20's aren't in the 'long term' frame of mind, they are still focused on themselves and having fun. I didn't start dating my husband until I was 26 and we got married when I was 27. One of the major benefits of that was that I got to do a lot of growing in my 20's, figuring out who I was and exactly what I wanted out of life. If I had married my husband at 21, I'm pretty sure we would have divorced.

So I guess what I would say is, have an idea of what you want, but don't shun someone away because they don't meet 100% of a physical code you have in mind. Make sure you are having fun and discovering your own personality. And please, don't waste time on people who make you doubt yourself or are unappreciative of you.
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If I have to listen to another pixie sized girl go on and on about how she ONLY dates guys over 6' I'll lose it. If I tried to get away with that I'd end up a nun.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If I have to listen to another pixie sized girl go on and on about how she ONLY dates guys over 6' I'll lose it. If I tried to get away with that I'd end up a nun.

Ha! I have a friend who is 5'5 and will only consider men who are 6 feet+. When I try to explain to her that is equivalent of me demanding men who are only 6'7 or taller...I don't think she gets it. Yet I have noticed taller men usually like and are attracted to shorter women.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My hubby is 6'4" and I've mentioned several times what a waste it is when a tall man dates a short girl. His response is that most women are shorter than him- everyone that he's dated- so it's all the same. DOH! How can he possibly think that??? Even though I'm attached- it still irks me!!!
  • Fedup85
    Fedup85 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

same here.... My ex was about 5'8 maybe 5'9 and I'm 5'11. He was so sexy though .... :blushing: :blushing: :wink: I didn't even care. It would be nice to have someone much taller than me..... But i dont think its going to happen!!! :noway:
  • Nucky719
    Nucky719 Posts: 143
    Options
    I am 5'11'' so I am just used to people being shorter than me. I once dated a guy that was 5'5'' :laugh: I have only dated a couple of guys taller than me. My boyfriend now is 5'9''. It seems like most really tall guys have really small girls. Go figure.
  • Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11 and My Love is 6'3. I have always dated guys who were taller than me. I just don't give anyone shorter than me a chance, and most women on here will tell me I am missing out, and maybe I am. I did TRY the shorter thing once, the guy was 5'9 maybe 5'10 on a good day, but it didn't work out. I also didn't date in HS really and didn't do anything serious in college. But the guys since college have all been taller than me.

Edited to Add: I have always been ridiculously secure in myself and outgoing. I have been told I just exude confidence. I think that has alot to do with it, I approach tall men. And it is easier for a man to approach a woman who feels good about herself :O) So, shoulders back ladies and smile! If you aren't confident in yourself, no one will be confident in approaching you!
  • LoriInIowa
    LoriInIowa Posts: 113
    Options
    I am 5'11'' so I am just used to people being shorter than me. I once dated a guy that was 5'5'' :laugh: I have only dated a couple of guys taller than me. My boyfriend now is 5'9''. It seems like most really tall guys have really small girls. Go figure.

Agree with the tall guys/small girls question. I'm going to have to ask my oldest son. He married a shorty (He's 6' 5" She's maybe 5' 4"?)

In college, it used to irritate the *&%^&$ out of me!! Why would you want a gal that has to look in your arm pit? EEEkkkk!

But, OP and other singles, don't give up hope! There ARE tall *secure* guys out there who aren't intimidated by tall women!

Props to my hubby: when I wear heels he *always* tells me "I LOVE a women that can look me in the eye!!" :)
    And we've been married 27 years. :)
  • Nucky719
    Nucky719 Posts: 143
    Options
    Tall guys rarely approach me. The shorties come right up and talk to me everytime. If I had a quarter for everytime a short guy came up to me and said "You're a tall drink of water :wink: " Instant ice breaker! :laugh:
  • msunluckythirteen
    msunluckythirteen Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate in that I'm only (LOL) 5'9". My ex-husband was 6'3" which was perfect, because all my heels are 3 1/2" inches so he was still taller than me. I haven't dated since my divorce (3 1/2 years ago) due to major self-esteem issues related to my weight, but once I lose it and start dating I will really try to only date guys 6' or taller. I HATE being taller than a date, even if I am in heels.

You dog is adorable!
  • msunluckythirteen
    msunluckythirteen Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have dated men taller than me and find that I prefer that. I recently had a okcupid date with a guy who was 5' 7" and I couldn't get over how short he was next to me. I'm 5' 11". There are other reasons we didn't date again, but that was one of them.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    the majority of guys I have dated or been married too have been 2-5 inches taller then me. I know the seceret.

Taller, more robust women are too outspoken and/or over expressionate. When I was thin I received way more attention because I was confident in who I was. I was not loud, overbearing, overfriendly, trying to compensate for something I lacked. As we thin out we tend to mellow out too:-) Have you ever seen an actress/singer or friend who's lost alot of weigh and thought to yourself "Wow their personallity has changed? Tall, good-looking guys are typically confident and dont want a woman to outspeak, outshine or intimidate their manliness. When I figured this out and got my own internal and external issues straitened out, I didn't have an issue with only catching the interest from short dudes.

My husband is 6'1" but he normally wears cowboy boots so he is usually around 6'3". It's perfect for me. (He has a hot bod too!!! eeek!!)

exercise.png