Colorado Springs Hiking?

Options
Huskychemist
Huskychemist Posts: 75 Member
Hi everybody,

I'll be spending about a week in Colorado Springs this summer (July 7-15) and would love to hit one of the bigger peaks in the area (preferably with somebody who doesn't mind a tag-along). I'm not necessarily looking for technical climbing; just a hike.

Any suggestions?Anybody in that area that wouldn't mind showing an outsider one of your favorites?

If so, I'm happy to engage in a discussion with you about my hiking and fitness background so you can decide if you're comfortable with me as a hiking partner.

Many thanks in advance.

Lowell

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Pikes peak is a nice hike, with a big reward at the top :)
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You might want to get on Meetup.com and see if there are any hiking groups that will be doing Pikes Peak that week. That's how I've been able to arrange to go on a couple of new hikes and a snowshoe trip (but not from the Springs).
  • rmsturdy
    rmsturdy Posts: 73
    Options
    I recommend going south about 3 hours. A long drive, but the Sangre De Cristos are BEAUTIFUL.
  • Huskychemist
    Huskychemist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cool. Thanks for the great ideas!

I appreciate it.
  • lildevil968
    lildevil968 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I live in Colorado Springs! One of my favorite hikes, and a favorite by many visitors is the Manitou Springs Incline. I also love the Crags, and Garden of the Gods. Pikes Peak is nice, but you really have to be careful. Alot of visitors try that first, and have a hard time because of the altitude gain.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I want to BUMP for my topics.

I also may be in the Denver/Colorado Springs area in July and want to save for ideas. :)
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    Garden of the Gods is a pretty good hike for all levels.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I will be in the Colorago Springs area in July for a week. I plan on doing several things in Colorado Springs but also wanted to know if anyone had any info on Black Canyon. Looks like it is 4.5 hrs away which is not a problem, just trying to make the most of my time in Colorado. Anyone have any suggestions on going to Black Canyon?

Thanks!