Favorite CHEAP and FAST recipe

Options
I am new to MFP, newly married, and I spend most of my time doing something school related. Lets be realistic, between homework, studying and classes we don't have a lot of time, and we won't even go there with the money. So I was wondering what is your favorite FAST and CHEAP recipe...its bonus if its healthy too. :o)

Replies

• amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    well not a recipie but lentils are like $0.89 or split peas (same price)
  • repubgurl
    repubgurl Posts: 105
    Options
    Crock pots are great for when you have class. Its so convenient to just dump everything into the crock pot in the morning and not have to worry about it the rest of the day. Not exactly fast, but definitely worry free. One of my favorites is Cranberry Chicken because I can use skinless chicken thighs and they are cheaper than buying chicken breast.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I like to heat 1/2 cup of black-eyed peas with 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes with jalapenos (both from cans) in a skillet until the excess liquid is simmered away. It makes for a good, inexpensive main meal or side dish.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I like to heat 1/2 cup of black-eyed peas with 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes with jalapenos (both from cans) in a skillet until the excess liquid is simmered away. It makes for a good, inexpensive main meal or side dish.

NOMNOMNOM
  • wawa2012
    wawa2012 Posts: 7
    Options
    Crock pots are great for when you have class. Its so convenient to just dump everything into the crock pot in the morning and not have to worry about it the rest of the day. Not exactly fast, but definitely worry free. One of my favorites is Cranberry Chicken because I can use skinless chicken thighs and they are cheaper than buying chicken breast.

Sounds awesome. Definitely never notices that chicken thighs were cheaper than chicken breasts.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    We stock up on meat when it's on sale...for example, boneless skinless chicken breasts (my favorite) were buy one get one free at the store, so we stocked up on them. Same with ground chuck when it's on sale...which is rare, here. So if you eat meat, check the sales ads, and some butchers will even give you a heads up when certain types of meat will be going on sale, if they know in advance.

Like repubgurl said, I love my crock pot! Even if I'm at home all day, I still use it. :tongue:

A good recipe for the crock pot, if you like chicken soup:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or whatever other type of chicken you like)
    1 tsp of "better than bouillon" vegetable base
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Onion flakes
    Whatever veggies you like...I personally use mushrooms, carrots, and either eggplant or potatoes...I overload mine with the veggies, but again, it's all to your liking, however much you'd like.

Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces, then toss them into the crock pot with the vegetable base, salt, pepper, onion flakes, and veggies. Then add 1 cup of chicken broth or stock, and then add as much water is needed to cover every piece of chicken and veggies. Give it all a quick stir, and then set the crock pot. We usually eat ours over rice. For my boyfriend and I, this lasts for 2 dinners, and we usually have a small bowl left over afterwards as well.

Buying the chicken during a BOGO sale, investing in the vegetable base (it's around $5/jar, but it has lasted me quite a long time, since you only need a little bit!), getting cheaper spices and seasonings in bulk (if you have a GFS near you, I recommend them...HUGE tubs and jars of spices for half the price of the smaller ones in regular grocery stores!), and getting whatever veggies are on sale makes for a thrifty dinner. Also stocking up on rice helps...we got a year's worth of basmati rice (yes...a YEAR'S worth...and we eat rice at least a couple of times a week!) for $8 when it went on clearance.
  • kennacoconut
    kennacoconut Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    black bean tacos

1 cup rice
    1 can black beans
    1 can yellow corn
    1 can diced tomatoes with cilantro
    20 corn tortillas
    Whatever seasonings you like (low calorie ones only! And use that measuring spoon!)

Cook the beans, corn, and tomatoes together. Make the rice seperately. Combine it at the end. Eat with 4 tortillas.
    Serves 5 people :)