Body Fat Reduction Resources

Options
bazfitness
bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
Aiming to get some resources together. I'm going to add a few here.

1. Starting Strength - Barbell Weightlifting Book to build muscle and lose fat. This came highly recommended to me on another Health & Fitness forum where the majority seem to be into bodybuilding.

2. P90X,P90X2, Insanity - Commercial programs from the same company http://www.beachbody.com that aim to build muscle, flexibility and lose fat. Going to get the negative bit out of the way first on these - have read opinions on that other forum that these had no scientific basis and were only a gimmick and also that people have got injured using these. However that other forum is mostly used by bodybuilding types who may or may not be biased against these and sounds like they didn't actually use these products themselves. On the positive side - these products appear to be a big hit here on MFP. Haven't seen one negative comment about them here and I know snugglesworthjr uses and loves Insanity. I haven't used these myself but might try them in the future, one other thing to note you are meant to have a certain minimum level of fitness to use these products in the first place.

3. Convict Conditioning - A book by Paul Wade (supposedly an ex-convict) - This is actually what I'm using at the minute. It's a gradual program of Calisthenics (Using your own body to build strength and flexibility) - it's ancient in origin - the kind of stuff the Greeks were doing in ancient times. The benefits of this is you need a minimum level of equipment. Just a basketball and a baseball for some routines. If you know the routines most of them can be done anywhere. That's why it's called convict conditioning, because it's supposedly how many convicts train in their cells without equipment. So say you are travelling and staying in hotels - you can still get a workout. Also it's a very gradual course, so if you are not so fit or if you are a bit wary about doing something radical, or you don't have money for the gym or buying progams like P90X, then this could be for you.

4. Leangains.com A website by a fitness guru - I think snugglesworthjr recommended this, also have seen it mentioned in positive tones on other forums.

I'm going out for a few hours now but I'm sure there's more stuff I'll think of. If any of you want to add some resources, please feel free.

Replies

• androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these, convict conditioning is a little out my price range this month, but will factor it in next month. I am just having a look at "you are your own gym" on amazon using their look inside feature.

Have also bookmarked leangains.com
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    1. Starting Strength - Barbell Weightlifting Book to build muscle and lose fat. This came highly recommended to me on another Health & Fitness forum where the majority seem to be into bodybuilding.

Starting strength!! That's what my personal trainer has me doing. I'm really enjoying it so far
  • androde
    Options
    I decided I was going to start lifting, so bought myself a set of dumbbells, can barely lift them, think I need some lighter ones to begin with but am still wanting to lift.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts 5X5! Insanity!
  • juanjayala
    juanjayala Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the stronglifts 5x5 program and I love it. I have lost 15 pounds in 3.5 months and my strenght has increased a lot. The more you lift the more muscle you have. The more muscle the leaner you get.
  • androde
    Options
    Well I can now use my dumbbells, albeit only for short bursts but they are getting some use other than a door stop :)
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I'm finding the Convict Conditioning a bit slow. I'm tempted to move to something a bit more radical and you guys seem to be getting big results with thes likes of Stronglifts and Insanity. Actually I sort of want to try out everything at some point anyway. I'm not fit yet but I have gone fitness mad :)
  • androde
    Options
    If you can do it then go for it, I wish I was able to do stronglifts and insanity, when I get a bit stronger I'm going to get a weighted vest to add to my convict conditioning